So what was the point again?

Talk about anything Yaoi here.

So what was the point again?

Postby phoenix4045 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:38 pm

So today I read on anime news network, that tokyopop (Aka the group that publishes yaoi under the imprint Blu) has suddenly decided to pursue publishing manga again...

my question is this, What was the point of WILFULLY going out of business in the first place?

I don't know about you but I am not sure If when it comes to buying a multiple volume series such as Kyou Kara Maoh (assuming they get the licenses restored) that I will be able to trust them with my business...

I don't think my little heart can handle getting attached to a long running yaoi only to be told sorry we are leaving the industry... Again!

Am I overreacting or is is my point valid?
phoenix4045

Re: So what was the point again?

Postby Shroud » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:07 am

A lot of people feel the same way. Especially as he tweeted that manga was boring and old, and that he wanted to make movies and video games instead before Borders ever folded. And then left to go do that. Seems opportunistic and kinda desperate after that didn't pan out, in my opinion. Also, he has someone tweeting they will start with sequels to stuff they published before, but he himself admits the J pubs have been reclaiming the old licenses and begun selling them off. Yen Press announced some yesterday, and Kodansha refuse to license to him period, by his own FB admission, and also by his own admission, J pubs are resistant to re-licensing to him now. So, I don't really see what he has to offer at this point anyways, besides the stuff he wrote himself anyways, like Princess Ai, and poss Hetalia which he's been making noise about. It would seem fans and J pubs alike are rather skeptical.
Group: Kawaii Neko
Group status: it's always been complete
Not taking applications
Shroud

Postby 2old4yaoi » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:40 pm

I don't get it either. Perhaps it is due to business, legal & accounting reasons that they shut down in the 1st place though. I supposed it was good that they did not have to declare bankruptcy - they did buy out the employees & did an orderly liquidation of their assets, didn't they? Unfortunately, they did end up losing a lot of goodwill from their fans & former vendors & partners. It will be interesting to see which titles they actually get to win back & continue. I will not be holding my breath for any yaoi title - seeing how short sighted the main principal is. The closest you can get is probably "Hetalia" And I am sure he would have to fight tooth & nail for that one if some other established publisher has already expressed interest in it.

I sure hope DMP co has already put in the bid for Sekaiichi Hatsukoi - this will be a big win if DMP can pull it off.
Group: Naname
Translator: Coatimundi
Letterer: Idioteva
Editor: 2old4yaoi
2old4yaoi

Postby Senyoru-Chan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:32 am

If Tokyopop decides to continue the series I previously bought from them I'll buy them. But I'd rather someone else to just get them out faster, if possible. Why did they close in the first place if they now suddenly decide to come back? Did they realize manga's still hot? Or what? :/ They could have just continued with the popular series and slowly continue with the less popular when possible.

I'm going to buy Yen Press's Alice country of hearts omnibuses to show my support that they took interest saving TP's books. From Tokyopop I want RESULTS, not empty promises and "maybes".
Senyoru-Chan

Postby Senyoru-Chan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:37 am

Oh and in case someone doesn't know yet, Viz will continue to release Loveless. :>
Senyoru-Chan

Postby 2old4yaoi » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:18 pm

And more Viz will formally launch its BL imprint - moving more towards the yaoi front. I hope they will impress me by licensing "Sakura Gari" & "Cornered Mouse" off the bat. The same audience who had been buying their "Ooku" series are ready base of customers and then some more. I wonder if beside Hetalia, formerly TP will recognize their other money maker would have been to win back Junjou Romantica, Love Pistols & Drown in Love series
Group: Naname
Translator: Coatimundi
Letterer: Idioteva
Editor: 2old4yaoi
2old4yaoi

Postby Senyoru-Chan » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:20 pm

I really hope someone...anyone will continue JR where it left of. Omnibuses would be cool too but it's more bothersome. :s
Senyoru-Chan

Postby SoldierGirl » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Wait... VIZ has a BL imprint?! How have I not heard about this? :D

Also, since we're discussing licenses, does anybody know the status of BeBeautiful (CPM)'s "Embracing Love"? Are there no takers on it, are the J pubs not selling, what's the deal? (If I could request only one series to be licensed and actually have it happen, "Embracing Love" would be it!
SoldierGirl

Postby Vata_Raven » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:04 am

TyokoPop, they are coming back, yes, but they're not going to release manga at first. From what I got, they're starting off with a magazine of like Japanese history and stuff. Like how when they first opened out in 2000, but something tells me that...Viz should've bought them or something, at least they wouldn't have all this licensing issues now.
“In order to protect something precious, you must find it first.”- Vata Raven
Vata_Raven

Return to Yaoi Talk