Well, I'm both a 3rd year University student and an experianced RP'er so I'll help you get into it Lady Kakata's very short, very brief introduction to Roleplaying (RP'ing)
RP'ing is fun. It is. But before you RP, you have to learn how to do it well, and in a way that doesn't seriously annoy or confuse your RP partner, and sometimes, that's harder than it sounds. But here's a basic guide to avoiding doing this!Decide on your Style :
You've heard the jokes about +3 swords and such. RP covers a large range of styles so deciding your style is imeritive. If you are going action RPs that rely on what your team are carrying, etc, then the '+3 sword' type is possible best. But since this is a yaoi board and it is yaoi RP you want to do, the style that is usually used is a 'prose' style.
This basically means writing it like a story, moving your character around and describing what s/he is doing.
Example : He smirked as he picked up his wine glass, "You keep saying that as though it's going to save you. You know what's going to happen when you go home, and yet, you still haven't left my apartment. You want it, you know you do" Taking a long, luxurious sip of the dark red liquid in the glass, his dark blue eyes piercing through his companions soul
The example above is prose-type, and it is in PAST TENSE. Past tense is usually used in RP as writing in present tense (i.e. Ryo picks up the racket and throws the tennis ball at Ichigo) can become tiring and confusingDeciding on your Scenario :
Basically, decide what the plot of your RP is. You can bring your own idea or both you and your RP partner can work out one between you.
It's important to establish the 'world' that the RP takes place in, and discuss the rules of it. This is especially true if you are doing an RP which crosses cultures (i.e. religiously based) or works in different systems (i.e. a school RP if one RP'er is American and the partner is from the UK) as systems like schools, hospitals etc. often work differently in different countries and you and your partner need to work through the culture barrier
You need to work out the following:
1) Where does it take place. You don't have to name a city or anything, it can just take place in a nameless nowhere, but describe
that nameless nowhere. Is it a city, a town, a village? Do they meet on the road? What is the place like? Are there tall buildings? Is it prosperous or destitute? Are there good areas and bad areas? What is the crime like? What's the nightlife like? How are the services like police, fire, shops, restaurants?
2) How does this place work. Can both of you name places and scenes? Do you want to control that? If you want to share, establish some rules, like the police are not corrupt and cannot be bribed, there are no prostitutes in the good areas, etc. Currency should also be mentioned so one is not confused (or a currency can be made up)
That's just a few. It sounds hard work but it's easier once you get startedDeciding on your Character :
This is the easiest part to begin with, but it becomes more and more complicated. Some people decide on a character then put them into a scenario, while others decide on a scenario and create a character to go with it.
In either case, it's important that you describe
your character. You don't need to put up a profile but it can help you keep track of your character and help your partner check on details like eye-colour without asking you in private messeges every reply and making them look like an idiot.
The most important thing about characters is to KEEP THEM IN CHARACTER. If you have a very shy and sweet uke, to have him brutally murder the school bully is not going to work unless you make it believable (i.e. have it be an accident after he's been pushed so far with the bullying and tormenting). Here's a basic list you should do
1) Decide on their physical traits. Describe what they look like basically; eye colour, hair colour, height, weight, any physical characteristics like scars, piercings, tattoos, etc.
2) Describe their habits. Are they neat or messy? Do they smoke? Drink? Do they use a computer well? Are they good at sports? Do they like books? Do they like school/work? Do they do drugs? What do they like to eat and drink? What do they do in their spare time? You get the idea
3) Describe their past and present. Basically, their homelife, relationships with parents/guardians/siblings, why they are where they are and what they're doing. Are they comfortable being gay? Are the parents/guardians? Do they live with them or alone or with friends or in halls/dorms?
4) Describe their motives and motivations. Why are they the way the are and what they are doing. This crosses over with 3) a bit as often their past is the reason they are doing what they are doing, i.e. studying to get away from their oppressive parents, for example. Do they have any physical or mental problems?
All of this does NOT have to be stated upfront; the great thing about RP is that things can be revealed as the story progresses. But as stated before, you have to make it all belivable. If someone is the hottest straight kid in school, falls for the new kid, for him to turn into a dick who declares the kid his new boyfriend in front of the lunchroom an hour after meeting him and have his anorexia be a sudden plot point without any indication is NOT going to fly (true story)RULES (Stick to 'em) :
In short, the very basics of RP'ing. In 90% of cases, moving someone elses character is strictly not allowed and will result in some vicious arguments. Basically, you can't make my character pick up a ball and throw it without my permission, but you ARE allowed to take my character in your characters arms.
It's like trying to move the other players pieces in a game of chess; you can make your pieces take them, but you can't move them yourself. It's not allowed.
God-modding is NOT allowed, and is severly frowned upon in RP. This means that your character cannot be all-powerful, all-knowing and invurable. It's annoying, and will get you banned from all respectable RP boards.
Don't jump the shark. As stated before, don't make your character make a sudden weird and wild turn without any warning and don't stretch their character to near breaking point. It's annoying and will get you bitten.
So, long and short of it, You and I decide a scenario, we each decide on our characters, then we RP. Usually RP'ers name and make their own characters by themselves, then they discuss who is seme and uke in the relationship