FTP long download times?

Information on the Guild, along with Q&A.

FTP long download times?

Postby jasper89 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:12 pm

Our group received access to the FTP server so we can download the files for our projects but it's been taking a ridiculously long time to download relatively small files. For example, as a translator, I downloaded a 30-megabyte PDF and it took almost 8 hours to finish downloading (on a regular high-speed connection a file that size should only take a few minutes) and letterers have even larger amounts of data to download.

Has anyone else been having the same problem? I tried messing around with the settings on FileZilla to no avail. I contacted Mr. DMG but in the meantime, I thought I would post on the forum and see if others could help out. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
jasper89

Re: FTP long download times?

Postby Shroud » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:38 am

yeah, FTP connection sppeds does seem to vary widely. I've had a single image file take 5 minutes to upload, and other times 5 upladed to the server in under 3 minutes. I've had it take up to 10 minutes to dl a single image file before as well. I've also adjusted the Filezilla settings to try to offset this, and I checked my broadband speed (its avging 15-18 mbps), so it's nothing on my end, esp as I am not having this problem downloading or uploading anywhere else. Whatever the issue is on their end, I hope they resolve it soon.
Group: Kawaii Neko
Group status: it's always been complete
Not taking applications
Shroud

Postby Russesa » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:06 am

They're aware of it, and working on it. It took me the better part of two weeks to get all of my files, but on the plus side, with the computer running 24/7, I found it easier to get up in the morning. :lol:

Hello Sarah,
Thank you for bring this to our attention.
We are looking to upgrade the speed of the ftp server’s uploading and downloading system, but it may take several weeks for the upgrades to happen. The speed is most likely due to the high traffic of other localizing teams using the server too.
Please continue the downloading and in the future we hope to improve it soon.
Thank you for your patience.

Mr. DMG
Russesa

Postby jasper89 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:46 am

Thank you so much, you two, I really appreciate your prompt responses! I've passed the message on to my group members and we also hope that the issue can be resolved quickly >_<
jasper89

Postby crayon » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:48 pm

hello everyone-

sorry- we weren't anticipating *THIS MUCH* connection when we started DMG...
so we are actually upgrading ftp to accomodate everyone.
We had a tech on site today- and they are doing buncha work...
so it should be much faster by next week. I'll keep you posted on that.

thanks for your patience! crayon
crayon

Postby crayon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:45 pm

We are fixing this problem tomorrow - September 8th, 2011
FTP server will be down from 9am to 11am (California time)

crayon
crayon

Return to The Guild Guide