How many books are we expected to produce per year?

Information on the Guild, along with Q&A.

How many books are we expected to produce per year?

Postby crayon » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:08 am

A lot of this was verbally mentioned during the teleconference but it was never specified in the contract. Also I am getting a lot of PM's and emails from many of you, so I wanted to address your concerns:

"How many books are we expected produce per year?"
"How can I commit to DMG, if I don't know what's expected of us?"

The contract does not specify a time frame or amount of books- because each book is handled differently. Some are text heavy. Some are editing heavy. Some have more pages. Some have less pages. I've personally looked over 90% of the titles we've licensed for DMG. I have the physical books at the office and they are all different. A smaller tankoubons had 126 pages. An omnibus had over 350 pages. An average tankoubons, (again, an AVERAGE- approximately, a typical size ones, nothing specific, I'm just giving you an example here) are 200 pages. For that you are looking at approximately (on average, standard-) is 3-4 months allocation to produce a book. NOT 3 MONTHS. NOT 4 MONTHS. BUT APPROXIMATELY 3 TO 4 MONTHS. A reasonable time allocation will be given and extensions can be given within reason.

“How many books can we get at a time?”
"Would we get multiple books at a time?"

Your assignment will come in a “bundle.” What’s in a “bundle?” Approximately total of 600 pages worth of work. Just to give you an example- You may get 2 books: one omnibus with 400 pages and 1 tankoubon with 200 pages. You may get 3 books: 3 sets of 200 page tankoubons. You may get 4 books: smaller and lesser page books. Whatever the combination may be- you can expect about 600 pages of work each time. Depending on a book, we will assign due dates for each title so that each title will be worked on one at a time and submitted as soon as it is completed. If you can get them done faster, hey- that's great.

“What’s the minimum number of books we are required to produce per year?”
The minimum number of books you are required to finish per year is- the “bundle” you get. You are to finish the "bundle" within the time frame that we give you. You won’t get more until the “bundle” is finished. The maximum amount of books you can get- is as much as you can handle. The “bundle” will be available on first come, first served basis.

I hope this answers your questions.

If you have any more questions, please EMAIL contact(at)digitalmangaguild.com
***Please DO NOT POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE – as you are NOT allowed to discuss contract contents.

Many thanks, crayon
crayon

Re: How many books are we expected to produce per year?

Postby crayon » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:28 pm

Just to give you an idea, the first group- KAWAII NEKO's bundle included the following.
They are all regular sized tankoubons, approximately 200 pages.
They were assigned on June 27th. And the expected completion dates are:

1) ONLY THE FLOWER KNOWS V1
花のみぞ知る 1 Hana no mizo shiru
by 宝井理人 Rihito Takarai Yaoi Manga
APPROX DUE DATE: OCTOBER 27TH

2) THE FAITHFUL DOG WAITS FOR FLOWERS
忠犬は花を待つ Chuuken wa hana wo matsu
by 山田まりお Mario Yamada Yaoi Manga
APPROX DUE DATE: NOVEMBER 27TH

3) TIRED OF WAITING FOR LOVE
愛想尽かし Aisotsukashi
by 英田サキ/山田ユギ Saki Aida/Yugi Yamada Yaoi Manga