Translators Looking to Join a Group

Need to find members for your group? This is the place!

Translators Looking to Join a Group

Postby starlightmuse » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:42 pm

This is for translators who don't have a group yet.

Please keep it friendly and give a brief bio .

Please PM each other to keep this thread clean, and edit your post once you're no longer looking. I apologize the forums are still broken, you can follow this thread: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1495 to edit.

Once you have formed your group, please keep that to yourself for now. We will inform you when we need that information. Please also choose a group representative, and remember the rep will handle all communication and payments. Thanks!
starlightmuse
Site Admin

Re: Translators Looking to Join a Group

Postby datenshi » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:33 pm

Hello all!

My name's Loren, and I'm a 26-year-old fangirl with a bachelor's degree and about 13 years of Japanese experience under my belt. I've loved manga, anime, games, and Japanese culture since I was quite young, fandom is my biggest hobby by far, and I'm looking forward to hopefully getting together with some of you guys and doing some great work to bring more manga to the masses here :)

As a translator I pride myself on doing natural-sounding work, because I really hate reading manga where the phrasing of dialogue sounds nothing like how people actually speak, so I hope potential editors will help work with me to produce stuff that sounds very real. My main fannish genres are not yaoi or BL -- I'm mostly into shounen/shoujo series, with my current favorites being Pandora Hearts and Ao no Exorcist, past ones including D.Gray-man, Gakuen Alice, Code Geass, Uraboku, etc. -- but I do very much consider myself a fujoshi. I like to read all sorts of stuff and I'm looking forward to working on a wide variety of titles!

Note that I have not taken the lettering or editing tests, so I am not available to also be a group's Letterer or Editor, but I have experience at both these tasks so if needed I could do a bit of spot work to help the main Editor/Letterer out. I am considering taking the editing test in the future.

If you'd like to get in touch with me, feel free to email me at atsurou (at) gmail, MSN at same, AIM at FujiMephi, or PMs here on the board. I look forward to hearing from you!!
Sorry but I am no longer looking for a group right now! I'll edit this signature if that changes. Since, uh, I can't edit my post... -6/3/2011
datenshi

Postby lisforlee » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:41 am

Hey Everyone~!

I'm a recent college graduate by the name of Lee, with 8 years of experience and a BA in Japanese. I love absolutely everything to do with Japan, and it excites me that I can be a part of a project that is opening up manga to the rest of the world. I spend much of my free time either immersed in a new volume or watching Japanese/Korean dramas. I have some (read: very very little) translating experience (Tantei Gakuen Q) but am looking forward to broadening my horizons as far as experience goes.

Like the previous poster, I don't like direct translations - I prefer to translate keeping the context the same, as sometimes with direct translations the flow of conversations just doesn't mesh well. Of course I try to keep it as close to the original as possible though.

BL and Yaoi are not unknown to me, and I look forward to translating new titles for everyone to enjoy. I should add that I have passed the tests for both translating and editing, so if need be I can do both.

If you are interested in adding me to your group, or have any questions, just shoot me off a PM. I look forward to working with you =)
No longer in need of a group~~!
lisforlee

Postby Utz » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:47 am

- EDIT - Never mind, I have found a group ^^. Thank you!

Hello everyone,

I'm Utsav, a current soon-to-be undergrad senior in East Asian Languages and Culture with a focus on Japanese. I've been studying Japanese for about 4 years now, and have a good deal of experience translating from Japanese to English via fansubbing anime series.

I haven't translated much manga before, but am looking forward to the challenge and fun that accompanies providing translated material to fans. As for my style, after seeing many fansubs of anime, I know how awkward-sounding direct translations can be. There is nothing wrong with changing the nuance of the translation while keeping the context intact.

I look forward to joining a group! If you'd like to contact me, the best way would be e-mailing me at: utzsoccer AT hotmail.com , or you can PM me here if needed.

Thank you!
Utz

Postby jhdechant » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:50 pm

Greetings from Fukuoka.

I have been a freelance translator for 5 years and involved with translation and editing in some form or another for almost 10 years. I rec'd my Japanese degree from the U of Pittsburgh in 2000 and have been living in Japan ever since graduation.

My current fields are not manga related (mostly business, education and social science), but I have worked on video games and marketing materials before and am looking forward to joining up with a group to do something creative and fun.

Yoroshiku!
EDIT (11/5/11) Found a group. Thanks!
jhdechant

Postby IceJuunanagou » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:52 am

EDIT - Found an editor. The two of us are now in search of a typesetter.

Hello, my name is Brittany. I'm 25, and have been an anime and manga fangirl for about half my life now. It all started long long ago, when a good friend of mine introduced me to the wonders of Pokemon. This was followed by the then-current Toonami run (Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing, Dragonball Z, etc.). I haven't looked back since then.

In college, I took three semesters of Japanese before biting the bullet and studying abroad at Nagoya's Nanzan University for a semester. I learned tons while I was there, and I've been continuing to study Japanese on my own ever since. I've been translating for several different scanlation groups for the past six or so years. I also work at some sites, such as myGengo, where I earn a little bit of money for my translations.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of translating, and that is my main reason for doing it. I like the challenge of trying to make the phrasing sound natural, and I get a lot of satisfaction from that moment when I hit upon the perfect translation for a given phrase. I do sometimes get too close to the original phrasing, however. I just hit a point where I've read the original so many times that a too-literal translation starts to sound right to me. That's where I'm hoping my editor will come in and save me from myself. (For the record, another problem of mine is not misspelling a word, but rather leaving out words entirely when my fingers start to outpace my brain. Just so you know.)

I like receiving feedback about my translations, and it's very useful to me to realize where I'm sounding unnatural and how I can correct that, so I hope there will be a fair amount of back-and-forth before things are completely finalized.

Just to clarify on time constraints, I do currently have a full-time job. I work four 10-hour shifts (from Wednesday to Saturday), so I am unlikely to be very communicative on those days. I do plan to go back to school as a full-time student at the end of August, while continuing to work part-time, which will probably make me a very busy butterfly. However, I am capable of translating reasonably quickly, so I hope that these constraints won't have too drastic of an impact.

As for what I like, I am really not picky. I've read and liked manga in a variety of genres. Some of my favorites are Naruto, Bleach, Gokusen, Inuyasha, Rules, etc., with more always on the way. The manga I like best tend to have characters that I can really connect with as their common thread. I will admit that I'm particularly fond of the fantasy and science fiction genre, but believe me when I say that I like pretty much anything.

If you're interested in working with me, feel free to send me a PM or to email me at brittany.a.sweet at gmail dot com. And please don't be offended if I take a little time to respond. I have plans for tonight and the dreaded workweek starts tomorrow, so my time is a little limited at the moment. (Yes, this means I probably should have chosen a better time to post this, but sometimes you just have to follow the inspiration as it hits.)
IceJuunanagou

Postby leakh » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:50 pm

Hello, I'm Lea, 22, freshly graduated with a BA in Japanese. I really love BL, and have been working on some translations at Blissful Sin. I passed the translator test and am now looking for a group to join. If interested, please email me at lhisatake01 at gmail.com. I am very work oriented and have a very strong sense of responsibility, so I will always be ready to work and punctual. Thank you.
leakh

Postby hihowareyou » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:20 pm

Hello all!

My name is Lindsay and I'm a recent graduate from the University of Texas at San Antonio with a BA in Modern Language Studies with a concentration in Japanese. I'm interested in becoming a full time, in-house translator somewhere down the line and this is the perfect opportunity for me to improve my skills up to a professional level!

I have lived in Japan during high school and I will most likely be moving back there for an ALT job sometime next month so my skills will improve all the time. I have had unpaid experience translating and am almost at a fluent level and I'm excited to start working professionally! I've translated mostly literature and technical and medical documents and have made excellent grades in all my Japanese classes! ^_^

It's nice to meet you and I hope we get along well!! :D
No longer in need of a group.
hihowareyou

Postby Jennatar » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:35 am

Edit Nov 4, 2011: I've found someone to team up with, thanks!
Last edited by Jennatar on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jennatar

Postby covarla » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:28 pm

Hi all!

I'm Candie. I've passed the translator and editor tests. I'm primarily looking to be a translator for a group of three or four.

For a bit about myself, I have a BA in Japanese, MA in Cultural Anthropology, and am working on my dissertation. I've been doing translations for about 5 years now, working freelance and occasionally volunteer for a scanlation group when needed.
covarla

Next

Return to Group Search