Tokyopop Closing N. American Operations!

General things fans would like to talk about.

Re: Tokyopop Closing N. American Operations!

Postby Senyoru-Chan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:30 am

I'd re buy junjo romantica too. Since the quality would be better. And I don't mind supporting the creator even more.
Senyoru-Chan

Postby 2old4yaoi » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:25 pm

Since a lot of the really popular manga series are currently being published as 3 volumes in 1 takubon (i.e. Little Butterfly, Bleach etc...), let's hope the same thing will happen to Junjo Romantica. That will be the easiest to get it licensed & republished by a different publisher here. Although I do agree that NAKAMURA Shungiku needs to write a conclusion for that series soon. It is getting somewhat stagnant to me (unless some character pulls a more enjoyable tsundere transformation soon). However Sekaiichi & its related side stories should be more than enough to keep her productive for years to come. I really hope an US publisher (preferable DMP) has started looking into rescuing Sekaiichi first & foremost even if it means paying a little title transfer fees to Blu.
Group: Naname
Translator: Coatimundi
Letterer: Idioteva
Editor: 2old4yaoi
2old4yaoi

Postby Senyoru-Chan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:36 am

It would be worth all the money. It's not often that I really feel that I MUST BUY THIS about a BL manga but this one is one of them. xD
Senyoru-Chan

Postby verygorgeous » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:59 am

I was devastated when I heard this news and I have to second Matt Blind's comments over at Rocket Bomber (see lore's earlier post for the link.) Although I have to say that even though I'm devastated I'm not terribly surprised. It was extremely difficult to contact anyone from the company and when I heard that they had laid off their senior staff I figured that things weren't going to head in a positive direction. The sad thing is is that honestly Yaoi is a niche brand, and even though we are loyal unforunately no one takes us seriously. Seeing how Yen Press seems to be testing the waters a bit by publishing a couple yaoi titles I would hope that maybe they could come to the rescue. But when it comes yaoi we're running out of options. I haven't been really impressed by Libre's Animate USA stuff so far so in my case I'm really depressed. Like everyone I was anxiously waiting for vol. 13 of Junjo Romantica (which was on the NY Times Bestseller list and is one of the only yaoi series to be sold at my local B&N), Sekaiichi Hatsukoi, the 6th volume of Love Pistols, and the latest Gakuen Heaven. At this juncture I don't know what will happen. It looks like I'm going to have to learn the language and buy the originals from Japan. Thanks a lot Stu Levy!
verygorgeous

Postby 2old4yaoi » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:26 am

While we are here debating & persuading June to pick up the creme de la crop of Blu's franchises (Sekaiichi, Junjou Romantica, Love Pistols & Gakuen Heaven), I hope other US manga publishers are also looking into rescuing other Tokyopop license. As much as I love DMP to get all the best ones, I recognize that it is probably not financially nor economically feasible. So I really do hope other publishers are now looking into rescuing other more mainstream TP licenses such as Silver Diamond, Shin Petshop of Horror, Vassalord etc ... To not continue some of TP's most popular series will be doing the US manga fan base a most terrible disservice.
Group: Naname
Translator: Coatimundi
Letterer: Idioteva
Editor: 2old4yaoi
2old4yaoi

Postby Senyoru-Chan » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:46 am

Well I don't mind other companies rescuing he more slashy/fan service ones. And of course the shojo and shonen.
Senyoru-Chan

Postby Noon » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:07 pm

I would be so disappointed if no more volumes of Gakuen Alice to be published. I am sure this one was doing well and so hopefully some company decides to license rescue it. 16 volumes have been published, so it might be a bit difficult but hopefully they put out it as omnibus or start publishing from volume 17 onward.
Noon

Previous

Return to General Talk