Lara Yokoshima makes her true debut!

Talk about anything Yaoi here.

Lara Yokoshima makes her true debut!

Postby Hiyoshimaru » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:10 am

She is releasing her first volume OEL manga called "Regatta"

Here's the preview:

http://www.tokyopop.com/product/2618/Regatta/1
Hiyoshimaru

Re: Lara Yokoshima makes her true debut!

Postby lore » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:28 pm

A bit more context here: It appears the mangaka is being given a tryout on Tokyopop's site. There's about 30 pages of story and you're asked to rate and comment on it.
lore

Postby 2old4yaoi » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:16 pm

Looks really good. I want to read more. I don't think I would mind buying it but the actual book is not out yet?
Group: Naname
Translator: Coatimundi
Letterer: Idioteva
Editor: 2old4yaoi
2old4yaoi

Postby Hiyoshimaru » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:15 am

Yeah, she's a Mexican artist. To be honest, I got her to do it. Sorta. LOL

She was procrastinating a bit, so I gave her a push. She's really good at making Boys' Love-type work, if you check out her website.
Hiyoshimaru

Postby 2old4yaoi » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:26 pm

Thanks for bringing her work & web site to my attention. I will definitely be checking them out. Interesting to see how her art work has improve tremendously over the years. The current ones have such lovely, clean lines.
2old4yaoi

Postby Hiyoshimaru » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:22 am

I KNOOOW! Her art is uber amazing! She is probably one of the best artists at making BL that isn't Japanese dude! I mean, most OEL yaoi is, *cough* *cough* crap, but, the works of Lara Yokoshima and Yayoi Neko is brilliant!
Hiyoshimaru

Postby Senyoru-Chan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:57 pm

I gotta say it looks pretty good. Her style could easily be seen as Japanese which is good. I hate the wannabe looking mangas that looks like manga but aren't really manga but still trying to be. I dunno if you know what I mean. Usually for younger kids. That's not the case here though. But I can't really make up my mind by just seeing this. I'd like to see more from her.
Senyoru-Chan

Postby Hiyoshimaru » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:33 pm

You can check out her website here:

www.yokoshima.com.mx
Hiyoshimaru

Postby 2old4yaoi » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:38 am

@Hiyo
So has Ms. Yokoshima actually finished "Regatta" as a complete story & book that TokyoPop is thinking of publishing? Or is Tokyopop trying to test the water for demand or publish it digitally 1st? I must congratulate her for catching their attention - they are notoriously picky in selecting shonen-ai & yaoi works with good art.

@Senyoru
Does OEL work really have to look Japanese to be popular? :) Surely it is acceptable to have OEL mangaka to be inspired by Japanese anime style or vice versa? I think the world of mangakas or graphic novel authors is getting convoluted as we globalize. For examples, I find the works of Matsuo Marta, Est Em & Basso highly collectible - they are Japanese mangaka but their art styles are definitely not your typical Japanese anime style with super huge eyes :lol: Not that I mind the latter either - it just depends on the personal style the author decides to go with (& as long as the story is good too)
2old4yaoi

Postby Senyoru-Chan » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:43 pm

I'm not sure what you're talking about. If you read a lot of manga you'd know not every character has huge eyes any more. There are lots of different styles that could be considered "manga" and yes I think a Japanese feel is very important. Not for it to be popular but for it to look good. Being Japanese or not doesn't matter though as long as you do it good. I've just seen lots of artist trying to make something in the middle and it gets kinda weird sometimes. Manga eyes and a huge chunky nose. Not very pretty if you ask me. Others want big noses though but you gotta admit they don't really bring anything to the story telling. And then there's that, the story telling. Probably the hardest part to do. Something I'm usually satisfied with in Japanese manga but not else where. This artist didn't seem to have a problem with that either though. You can tell why publishers have already found interest.
Senyoru-Chan

Next

Return to Yaoi Talk