Ask the President!

Information on the Guild, along with Q&A.

Re: Ask the President!

Postby Choutiv » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:21 pm

I'm aware there was mention before of getting 4-5 mangas per project, but that made me wonder what DMP's plans were regarding the release/sale of those volumes in terms of dates.

Say, if a group were to get all those mangas done in a short time, would DMP release them one after the other as they're completed or would DMP follow a schedule of releasing one volume per month, keeping the completed volumes aside until the scheduled release date? I believe the latter would allow the guild to get more volumes released, but I'm not sure how everyone else feels about that.
Choutiv

Postby Seeshelle » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:43 am

Are sales based on a year, a few months after a release?
I am: Editor + Typesetter
Teamed with: 1 group
Seeking: translator
Seeshelle

Postby Choutiv » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:32 pm

Looking at the updated FAQ that was posted tonight, I realized something very important.

How will DMG handle the payment for overseas members of the Guild? I am assuming that many members will not be familiar with the IRS, so would DMG point out or lay down such information for those members?
Choutiv

Postby Ariya » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:41 pm

This is a question pertaining to the letterers' work:
What is DMG's policy about font usage? We need a wide variety of fonts for sfx, which can be downloaded for free on many sites. However, several of those fonts have restrictions on commercial usage. Will DMG be providing letterers a package of fonts or will it be up to the letterers to choose fonts themselves?
Ariya

Postby Laurie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:37 pm

I've been thinking about innovations from the fan community that readers seem to appreciate, and I was wondering about content labels. In addition to just knowing a title is 18+, a lot of readers like to be warned (or encouraged, lol) ahead of time that a tile contains "noncon" (rape) or "hard yaoi" (very explicit content). I know some of your titles, like the Yaoi Hentai series, do that already in their blurbs, but I wondered if you might consider a consistent labeling policy as well.
Laurie

Postby janetburnett » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:22 pm

There REALLY seem to be a lot of single editors out there. Will there be a way for us to work even if we're not able to form a group? Also, even though we all passed, shouldn't there be a way to further stratify the skill levels? With so many of us available, I think it would be a better business practice if we had some avenue to showcase our abilities for the select few (ie. translators) to allow them to choose better candidates. If groups are formed simply based on board postings, a lot of time may be lost if team members don't have what it takes to complete a project. I say this because obviously I want to work, but also in reading some of the postings, I see the same problems highlighted that frustrate me as a reader. I'm referring to poor word choices, poor grammar, obvious typos and spelling errors. I'm sure some of this is just due to the casualness of the conversations here, but if someone consistently forgets to capitalize after a period or use "there" when they mean "their" when writing for potential coworkers, what kind of mistakes are likely to show up in their editing work? I know this sounds picky, but isn't that part of being an editor?

I'm excited about the potential of this project and would like the opportunity to help make it a success. I look forward to learning more as we progress.
STEAMY SIDE PRODUCTIONS
JanetBurnett * SoubixLoveless * hanabi_sky* Cosmos
Working together to make this Guild a success!
janetburnett

Location: Beautiful Missississippi - Wait, is that too many iss's?

Postby Milky » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:35 am

Will you provide us a storage space on your server so that we can upload and download our ongoing project or do we need to prepare our own storage service?
Milky

Postby Hiyoshimaru » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:00 pm

Do you think, I could ask you guys personally, we need more Sakura Ashika/Gokurakuin Sakurako work! I LOVE HER STUFF!

(the Sekirei manga isn't in English yet! And what about her other BL work, like Adult na Kaihatsu-shitsu and Nemureru Kimi no Barairo no Kuchibiru!!! ><

And how about more Tokiya Shimazaki. And Boku no Sensei wa... by Anna Hanamaki (Oakla Shuppan title)

And Hana Umezawa and Nase Yamato.

(sorry, just need to get it out!)

O_O
Hiyoshimaru

Postby Russesa » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:33 pm

Lurking elsewhere in the forums, I learned that Digital Manga often releases manga edited for adult content. Is this going to be an issue in the Guild? I'm against the idea of censorship in general,* but if I and other typesetters are going to be required to edit artwork, I guess I'd like, I don't know, guidelines or something.

*in general. I do recognize that there are laws and restrictions that need to be held to.
Russesa

Postby jessylein » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:19 pm

All right, actually, during the conference, a question that hasn't been asked yet (I think) came into my mind:
what about translating to languages other than english? There still is this "we will contact you about your other languages later"-thing when I log in.
Will you start considering this once the whole thing is running in English or are you already planning to get licensing rights for other languages, too?
jessylein

PreviousNext

Return to The Guild Guide