The test is out

Information on the Guild, along with Q&A.

The test is out

Postby starlightmuse » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:43 pm

We've just e-mailed everyone with the test. If you don't receive an e-mail within the next 24 hours and your password doesn't work (if you registered with one), then please re-register. Also, please don't click on the link for the test until you're ready to start! We will be timing you :D

Test clarification
You can mostly figure out how the test works, but if you're unsure, hopefully this will help.

The editor's test:
This is a pretend Q&A that you must edit. Clean up the English, make it sound natural, check for grammar and syntax. You're the step between the translator and letterer, so do your best to make it sound good! You can return this in a .txt, .rtf, or .doc format.

The lettering test:
There is no need to resize the pages, but please crop and straighten them. Generally SFX in bubbles need to be lettered (with the Japanese edited out), and depending on the SFX the Japanese may need to be replaced. Otherwise, the English SFX can go next to the Japanese. Font choices are up to you, just try not to use too many different fonts. If you are still unsure, go ahead and take a look at samples up at our emanga.com site to see how we generally have our titles lettered. Please make sure your files are flattened jpegs and each jpeg is no larger than 1mb each. We've limited file sizes due to space, go ahead and resize images to 180dpi if necessary to make it smaller.

If you are getting an invalid file error message when you upload your test, please try uploading them one at a time instead of as a zip. The limit is for each jpeg to be under 1mb.

The translation:
We are mainly testing your skill, but if you would like to provide it in a script format that would be fantastic. Basically write it up so we (and eventually, a letterer) knows where each dialogue and SFX belongs (i.e. page number, bubble number etc). You can return the translation in a .rtf, .txt, or .doc format.
Last edited by starlightmuse on Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 8 times in total.
starlightmuse
Site Admin

Re: The test is out

Postby lys » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:48 pm

I'd like a little clarification for the lettering test, if possible. Are there any guidelines/standards to follow in regards to sfx, font choice, etc? Should FX be edited out always, never (lettered alongside in English), or only when it's fairly easy to retouch? Do pages need to be cropped or resized to specific dimensions for web viewing? Thanks!
lys

Postby valuz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:39 am

lys wrote:I'd like a little clarification for the lettering test, if possible. Are there any guidelines/standards to follow in regards to sfx, font choice, etc? Should FX be edited out always, never (lettered alongside in English), or only when it's fairly easy to retouch? Do pages need to be cropped or resized to specific dimensions for web viewing? Thanks!

I have the same question here, about lettering test :)
valuz

Postby starlightmuse » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:10 am

Giving this a bump just in case. Edited the first post :D
starlightmuse
Site Admin

Postby lys » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:52 pm

Thanks for the response! I'm uploading my finished test now...or trying. I'm concerned about the "200 kb" limit—is that even possible for a zip file containing multiple high-res images?. Actually, it just gave me this error message:

You have missed the deadline to upload your test, which was 16:00, Jan 03, 1970 PST. There will be another test given soon; we will contact you shortly with more information. Thank you.

I wasn't even born in 1970! My deadline should be 10pm on the 11th.
lys

Postby starlightmuse » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:58 pm

Sent you a PM about it.
starlightmuse
Site Admin

Postby dorrie6 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:09 pm

Quick question--even though it isn't listed as one of the acceptable file types, I'm assuming that since the editor's test was distributed as an .rtf file, that's an acceptable format for upload?
dorrie6

Postby starlightmuse » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:23 pm

dorrie6 wrote:Quick question--even though it isn't listed as one of the acceptable file types, I'm assuming that since the editor's test was distributed as an .rtf file, that's an acceptable format for upload?

Oh I'll adjust the "rules" >__< Yes, .rtf is acceptable. Sorry about the confusion!
starlightmuse
Site Admin

Postby dorrie6 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:30 pm

Thanks for the clarification! I figured it was fine, but I didn't want to find myself disqualified for not following directions! :D

Edited to add: Actually, it won't even let me upload an .rtf at this point. It tells me that it's an invalid file.

Edited again: As a workaround, I've zipped the file, and will upload it that way.
dorrie6

Postby Solevin » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:26 pm

Small question about the lettering test. Are there cropping dimensions we need to follow or just use our best judgement?
Solevin

Next

Return to The Guild Guide