Group Search: Don't have a group? Find one here.

Information on the Guild, along with Q&A.

Group Search: Don't have a group? Find one here.

Postby starlightmuse » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:25 pm

For those of you who want to create your own group but don't have one, find other members here! Please keep it friendly, state what you can do, and if there are any specific qualifications or positions you're looking for. If you already have part of a group formed already, then post here too to complete the three! A group consists of a letterer, editor, and translator. If you want to be part of other groups, then by all means :)

Please PM each other to keep this thread clean, and edit your post once you're no longer looking. Thanks!

If you've registered as an individual, and have now found a group, there's a few more things you must do:
1. Choose one group member to be the main point of contact.
2. PM me the email you registered with, your group name, and whether or not you would still like to be contacted by other members to join your group.

Just to reiterate, although it would be helpful to be in a group, you can wait until after you've passed the test to start creating one. There is no advantage or disadvantage to being in a group at this time. This is a place for people who would like to get a head start, and eventually for those who've passed and want to start looking.
Last edited by starlightmuse on Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
starlightmuse
Site Admin

Re: Group Search: Don't have a group? Find one here.

Postby lys » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:36 pm

I guess I'll start! I registered individually as a letterer/retoucher. I don't really read BL (which probably puts me in the minority here?), but I'm hopeful this guild initiative takes off so that Digital Manga is able to bring in other types of series—I'd love to join a group that would work on shoujo or josei manga. Pleased in advance to meet you!

[edit to provide a bit more info about myself]:
I'm currently working as a freelance children's book illustrator and a freelance letterer for a US manga publisher. I've been doing lettering professionally for almost 1 year and have completed 10 books in that time, so I have a fair bit of experience. I took two years of Japanese in college, which means I can read enough to match translated dialogue to the proper speech bubbles in case the script isn't clear, though not enough to translate on my own. It's a semi-useful skill...
Last edited by lys on Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lys

Postby Tigu » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:45 pm

Hello everyone!

Edit: I have found a group to work with, thank you everyone for your PMs! Good luck to all those who passed your tests, let's all make this project wonderful!

This feels a bit like a personal ad so; Single Experienced J>E Translator looking for Experienced Group!

My Background:

I've been studying Japanese for about 8 years now (yes I've been to Japan various times for school, vacation and business.) I have a B.A. in Japanese Language and Literature, minoring in Linguistics. My departmental focus was translation. I've translated Manga in the past for friends, fan sites and for several freelance jobs. I've been a freelance translator for about 4 years now doing a variety of technical and non-technical translation work. Currently I work full time for a Japanese automotive parts manufacturer doing a variety of jobs including in-house translation.

My interests:

I have varied interests including but not limited to: technology, history, culture, games and of course manga. My specialties in Japanese lean towards these fields and also include automotive (and parts) thanks to my current job.

Oh, I don't particularly mind what genre or author's work is worked on, I've pretty much seen/heard it all so little shocks me. (Plus I'm of course a closet BL fan, just don't tell my co-workers!)

Me:

I'm pretty easy going, but pride myself in being professional. I will do what ever it takes to meet a deadline, even if it means living on coffee for a few days.

Anyway, feel free to PM me if you are looking for a translator! I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Tigu

Edit: I just submitted my translation test. It only took my lunch hour and a bit, and didn't seem to be terribly complicated so I hope it's acceptable.
Last edited by Tigu on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tigu

Postby hanamaru06 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:11 pm

EDITED NOV. 10TH
TEAMED UP WITH A LETTERER AND EDITOR,
MILKY AND LOKIVSANUBIS, RESPECTIVELY, YAY!
AD CLOSED, THANK YOU!

Hi there! Japanese to English translator here looking to start a new group! :3

A little bit about me, I'm a 21 year old university student living in west coast US! I've been studying Japanese in school for about 6-7 years now and have some experience translating for my scanlation group in the past~ I'm a big fan of BL and yaoi so I'm really excited to hear most of the guild titles to begin with will be boys love!!

Currently in need of a letterer and an editor! If you're interested, please drop me a PM~ No specific requirements but these qualities would be greatly appreciated:

• Quick to respond via PM/email/etc.
  • Good English communication skills
  • Experience working with scans/very willing to learn
  • Can work hard to achieve high quality results
  • Timely and can meet deadlines

Thanks and can't wait to hear from you! :D
Last edited by hanamaru06 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
hanamaru06

Postby travis » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:24 pm

Hi, all. I'm Travis.

I'm here mainly as a translator, though I have also done lettering and editing work.

I have a BA in Japanese and have been working as a professional freelance translator for eleven years. Most of my pro work has been in anime and film, but I've done a lot of manga translation on the side, providing translations for friends, scanlation groups, and doing my own scanlations as well. I also have a massive Japanese lyrics website which I've been doing translations for for something like thirteen years.

I would really like to get into translating manga professionally, so this seemed like a good opportunity to get a foot in the door. I am queer, but I'm actually not a fan of BL and had no idea when I signed up for this that it was primarily a BL thing. XD (A friend gave me the link to the sign-up page, which didn't mention any connection with BL.) But that doesn't bother me. I've translated hundreds of yaoi doujinshi, so it's not my first time with the genre, and I'm not bothered by explicit sex (I spent about a year translating for a company that was putting out hentai anime and games).
travis

Postby Seeshelle » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:51 am

Reading the posts above makes me feel like a loser here, but...
Looking for a group because there are things I'm iffy about.

Application for:
Editor/Rewriter
Typesetter/Retoucher

BG info
I've taken Japanese for 4 years, so I'm still not fluent. Nonetheless, I always translate Japanese to English whether it be for my manga in Japanese or for Japanese songs (I'm also a AVA). I have translated before for a scanlation group (check Sekai wa Happy de Dekiteiru chapter 2).
I also was part of another scanlation group for being the Quality Checker.
I once did a whole chapter all by myself (Ch. 62 of Zombie-Loan). Comments on my translation- http://forums.mangafox.com/showthread.p ... ost3332965
Last edited by Seeshelle on Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am: Editor + Typesetter
Teamed with: 1 group
Seeking: translator
Seeshelle

Postby Laurie » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:06 am

Hi, I'm Laurie.

<edit> Our group is all set. Thanks everyone.
Last edited by Laurie on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Laurie

Postby yukitomiko » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:52 pm

I guess i will be sending my application to some of you and see if someone accepts me. :lol:
yukitomiko

We Still Need a Translator!!

Postby Milky » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:04 pm

Hi there!!

EDITED 2011.2.2

Team Love Potion (Editor = lokivsanubis, Letterer = Milky) is looking for a Translator

Little bit about me...
I passed the test as a manga letterer/retoucher. I LOVE manga!! ( I am also fujoshi... haha)

I am a freelance graphic/web designer, and I always wanted to be a manga letterer. I have been studying the basics of lettering and retouching in my free time, and I am very excited for this chance to be a professional manga letterer/retoucher.

For the teammate, I would like to team up with responsible people who can meet deadlines.

Love Potion is in need of Translator, if you are looking for a team to work with, please PM lokivsanubis or me. we look forward to hearing from YOU.
Last edited by Milky on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
Milky

Postby lokivsanubis » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:01 pm

Hi

I go by Lokivsanubis but my day name is Jordan. I have an insane love for BL mangas. I read the scans all over and greatly appreciate the work. I took a year of Japanese in university. I applied as a single for editor. I am an English minor at my university. I am a native english speaker and have always done well with writing. I can also be found on Live mocha helping people learn how to read, write and speak english. I regularly edit submission on that site. I think I would make a good editor. I am also looking to get into a group to help spread BL to the world.

If you're interested please contact me.

LVA

*EDIT*

I NOW HAVE A TEAM AD CLOSED.
Owns over 100 volumes of BL Manga
Owns over 100 scans of BL manga.

Love Potion
Editor- Lokivsanubis
Letter- Milky
Translator-- KudouUsagi
lokivsanubis

Next