Questions?

Information on the Guild, along with Q&A.

Re: Questions?

Postby Truanifan678 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:37 pm

I've never worked on a manga (officially or unofficially), but I am skilled at recreating/manipulating manga and lettering based on original manga making experience. For fun I've recreated cityscapes, mimicked sfx effects, and am able to recreate gradient tones... but I never saved any of them thinking there'd be no need...

Q #1: Will you have test pages for typesetting/retouching?

Q #2: Will you provide specific fonts or are typesetters dependent on their own resources?

Q #3: What programs are typesetters/retouchers expected to be able to use? Any specific formats or programs? I primarily use Photoshop & Illustrator, but I am a quick study.

Q #4: What level or experience are you looking for?

Q #5: What level of retouch are you looking for? Completely blank with all Japanese text removed or just the dialogue and basic sfx removed?

That's all I have for now. Thank you!
Truanifan678

Postby Milky » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:43 am

I have one little question.

Members who work on specific titles will receive a revenue percentage from all future sales of that book.

Is this mean the payment can be based on the popularity of manga rather than hours and amount of work people put into?
Milky

Postby Whirligig » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:38 pm

I'd love to join! I have experience as an editor and translator but seriously, think about providing a standardized test instead. A lot of people wouldn't want their real names linked to their scanlations.
Of course the choice should still be available for anyone who wants to provide extra material to highlight their skills.
Whirligig

Postby tarocake » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:46 pm

How about providing a sample manga chapter for us to translate as a test of ability?
tarocake

Postby starlightmuse » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:44 am

Thank you for all of your questions, keep them coming if you've got them! A FAQ has been created, and we are working on providing a test instead of asking for a submission of samples.
starlightmuse
Site Admin

Postby TheF » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:54 am

Hey, are you going to post any of the answers here too, because I'm pretty sure I'd like to discuss your answers. Unless this forum/topic is for FAQuestions only. In which case I would ask for an email to contact someone with ^^.

Is there an ETA for the FAQ?
TheF

Postby starlightmuse » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:58 am

The FAQ is up, I'll PM you with an email you can contact (although I am guessing I've already contacted you from your first post?). Apologies if I offended you in any way. I'll also respond to questions here too, so let me wade through them...
starlightmuse
Site Admin

Postby TheF » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:16 pm

Thank you for the email adress, I'll email you promptly ^^. Also, you've not offended me in any way. I apologize if I made it seem that way, I tend to be quite blunt.
TheF

Postby starlightmuse » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:17 pm

TheF wrote:What are you specifically asking for in sample web pages of work? Are you asking scanlators to give out their name and email adress with a link to scanlations, without even telling them what you will do with this information?

We're not looking to go after scanlators, and to make it a more even application process, we are currently putting together a test for all applicants.

TheF wrote:How does pre-registering or registering work if I am part of a scanlation group? Are you only willing to take whole groups and individuals not currently affiliated with any group that would not be part of your 'Guild'?

You will get to work on titles with us legally and free of copyright infringement. Again, whether or not you scanlate is not our concern. We would highly recommend you joining as a group though versus as an individual (a letterer, editor, and translator).

TheF wrote:Editing: Are you asking your members to only edit with the software you provide in the screencap?
How can I as an editor be sure that the page is properly dust free? How do you clean and level your pages (if you do so at all. Again, I can only speculate how cleaning works here)?

We are creating our own program as a part of the community, hopefully it will be easier to use and help streamline the process. We will do our best to provide clean pages -- but it's still early, so we cannot guarantee anything yet.

TheF wrote:Can editors make general statements like: Don't make me edit this mangaka, I hate their art and their stories. Can editors refuse certain projects? What are their liberties?

This is also still being ironed out, there will hopefully be a certain degree of freedom in choice.

TheF wrote:Payment: Since I am fairly certain that you would take applicants as freelance workers, my main question here is: how exactly would individuals be paid? What is the proceed percentage for each project? Are there different percentages?

We are still finalizing the percentages, so at the time we cannot say.

TheF wrote:How will editors get credited? Will they get credited?

Yes, everyone who completes a title will get credit.

TheF wrote:Community: Will you make a community for all the people involved in this project, for example a forum? Will we just be individuals/groups each contained and without contact?

The site is still in the works, but we are hoping for it to be a collaborative community for everyone involved. We are hoping it will be a place where others can interact; how it will be and look will be announced later.

TheF wrote:Will you offer to teach people editing? Or maybe say: If you want to work with us, but you have no experience, come here and we will show you how it works.

We don't have the manpower or time to teach people, but you and other applicants are free to start your own forum or section within the guild to give tips and help others starting out.
starlightmuse
Site Admin

Postby starlightmuse » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:43 pm

zebedeee wrote:I too was very hestitant over this providing samples business, even though my scanlation group is doujinshi only. That made me close the pre-register window too. What are you after? Direct download links? Links to the project page? What if you have to join a community to see them? And what proves these samples are mine? What's to stop someone else from tyring to pass my work of as their own?

We are working on a test for everyone to take, and will be contacting everyone who's preregistered once it's available.
starlightmuse
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Guild Guide