Delays and the future of VH:D manga

Talk about Vampire Hunter D!

Delays and the future of VH:D manga

Postby ragnarocker » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:37 pm

I just wanted to post my frustration with the current state of the manga series. I logged on to my Amazon account today, expecting to see volume 5 of the manga on it's way to my door. To my shock, the item was not shipped, and Amazon has changed the listed availability date to December 2010. I felt this was suspicious because it is the last possible second "we have no idea when this is coming out" kind of release date, during the final week of 2010.
Looking for hope I turned to the home base company website...and...
DMP release schedule has removed it completely. :shock:

First, I really wish to give full credit where it is due. I am an absolute fan of the series in any form. I love the manga, and I stand behind Saiko Takaki's adaptations of the novels 100% in both art and dialogue. I have been a firm supporter since the series inception. Obviously this project is a huge undertaking. No doubt about that.
The question is, is it too much for one person?

The books are always late.
Saiko apologizes for this profusely within the notes at the end of the manga.
The books are still late.
How does DMP feel about this? What is the leniency granted in this situation?

I must say that I really do not wish to see someone picking up the series instead of the "novice" Saiko, but I fear this may be the case if she can not turn the product around quicker than this.

What are your thoughts?
ragnarocker

Re: Delays and the future of VH:D manga

Postby 18thAngel » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:00 pm

The VHD franchise as a whole seems to have issues with release dates. I'm not sure why this is. It could be because of its relative obscurity. Even in Japan (although I was only there for 2 weeks) I saw nothing D related whatsoever, and I asked about it in a good number of the stores. It just might not be the publishers' first priority. That being said, Dark Horse is undoubtedly the worst publisher I've ever encountered. It isn't just the pushed back release dates that bother me; it's their slow customer service, badly designed website, and false claims ("We have the Evangelion Manga!" No, no you don't. VIZ publishes the Evangelion manga; all Dark Horse has is the shitty Ikari Shinji Raising Project.) Anyhow...that's just my rant of frustration.
Doctor Who?
18thAngel

Postby Ulquiorhime » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:24 pm

Don't let it get you down ok
I <3 Vampire Hunter D
Ulquiorhime

Postby 18thAngel » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:05 pm

Ulquiorhime wrote:Don't let it get you down ok

Oh never. :D I will wait for D for as long as it takes!!!!!
Doctor Who?
18thAngel

Postby ragnarocker » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:33 am

I'm glad to hear that I am not alone. I will not let this get me down, either. I feel worried about the future (or possible cancellation) of the series more than I do the delays. Delays are annoying for sure, but man, it would be a major disappointment if the series was canceled. I hope this is not the case.

8-)
ragnarocker

Postby Scygoku » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:48 pm

A series being dropped always sucks,especially if theres like 20+ manga released already or if its only afew volumes but close to finishing :/

We'd probably be the first to know if D was dropped as they would not doubt post it here on the boards,would save us waiting for months and nothing be released.
Scygoku

Postby 18thAngel » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:47 pm

^ If that happened, I'd shell out the gazillions of dollars in shipping and buy the Japanese versions of the novels and manga, and try to translate them myself. 8-)
Doctor Who?
18thAngel

Postby loempiavreter » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:50 am

After the last delay, the shop where I ordered has changed the release date to the end of this month and not to December. Let's see if that happens.
loempiavreter

Postby Lightbringer » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:11 pm

If the artist is having difficulty making the deadlines it would seem obvious enough to have someone assist her. They obviously are a success and generating enough revenue to justify the added expense. I wouldn't want her removed as I rather enjoy the manga a lot, but I also find the wait tiresome. But in the end I do agree that a late VHD manga is better than none at all!
Lightbringer

Postby ragnarocker » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:54 am

Volume 5 is (FINALLY) out on DMP.com! :D

This seems to be the only place to get it at the moment, no local stores (Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million) have it, as they still say it is slated for January 2011 release date! :evil:

BUY A COPY -- KEEP THIS PROJECT ALIVE!
[u]
[/u]
ragnarocker

Return to Vampire Hunter D