Blue Sheep Reverie

Talk about Juné Manga titles.

Blue Sheep Reverie

Postby mo2468 » Mon May 31, 2010 6:30 pm

Well, I noticed there was no discussion topic for this series on the June forums (except one about censorship, which I have zero interest in having come up in this thread, please), so I thought I'd create one.

I would, however, before we kick off the discussion, be curious to know whether DMP has already licensed volume 3 and/or working on one for volume 4 (which was just released in tankoban in Japan last week) and when we might expect volumes 3 and 4 to be released. Over the next two years? Three? A timeframe, however rough or far away, would be appreciated, thanks.

Anyway, like the Yellow discussion I created earlier, let's do some meme-like questions:

Who's your favorite character?

Who's your favorite character other than Lahti or Kai?

Do you like or dislike Maria? As a character? As a person?

What do you think of Lahti's attitude towards Kai? Towards Maria?

What do you think of Kai's attitude towards Lahti? Towards Maria?

Have you followed the events beyond volume 2 already (ie, read volumes 3 and 4)?

Any other thoughts about the series?

My answers (CONTAIN SERIES SPOILERS!):

I like Kai the most. I don't mean to prefer the uke, but I often do for some reason, paticularly with Tateno couples. If I had to pick someone else, it would have to be Shiki. There is something so mysterious about him. Tateno never goes into his background, but I can't help but wonder where he came from or what he's really thinking behind that disarming smile. I like Maria. As a character, not really as a person. She's very scary, borderline psychotic, really. Like Mizuki in Yellow without the whole sex-change thing. I like to see the mindgames she plays with Lahti and Kai. Particularly with Kai. For some reason I like to see Kai being confused/upset/overwhelmed and then pulling himself through and doing something amazing. I think Lahti really cares about Kai, but can't show it because of his position. He can't show any sign of weakness or give his enemies any reason to target Kai to get to him. Towards his sister, as Kai believes, I don't think he wants to kill her. I think he is forced into a position where he has to oppose her as the enemy of Sarte, and treats her as a rival for Kai's affections more and more as the series goes on. Despite how Kai behaves towards Lahti early on, it's very clear he is entirely devoted to him, but at the same time there is this yearning in him to match Lahti's strength and stand next to him, instead of just serving him. As for his feelings about Maria, I think he loves the memory of her, not what he now has. Through the series this becomes clearer and clearer to him (that he can't go back to that time and they can't be happy together). I have read the whole series (through currently serialized chapters), so I know everything that happens in volumes 3 and 4.

Also, I am curious to know whether the story is over completely now or not. The set up to Steal Moon was already established, the relationship between Lahti and Kai was finally solidified, though from what I've heard there is another chapter to be serialized in the magazine it ran in, so who knows? That might be a little too spoilerish for discussion here, though. At least right now, anyway.
mo2468

Re: Blue Sheep Reverie

Postby ChibiKami » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:58 am

When and if BS 3 is licensed-we'll let you guys know. We're still working on scheduling, planning and licensing currently for the upcoming year.
ChibiKami

Postby mo2468 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:56 pm

Thanks!
mo2468

Postby Shroud » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:44 am

I have not read these yet. So, Steal Moon is related to Blue Sheep Reverie?
Group: Kawaii Neko
Group status: it's always been complete
Not taking applications
Shroud

Postby mo2468 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:22 am

Yes, Steal Moon is a sort of spin-off/sequel, but it was written between volumes 1 and 2 of BSR. BSR was originally serialized in a different magazine, was cancelled after one volume and years later Tateno wrote SM for the magazine that would right afterwards begin serializing BSR again.

SM takes place in the same universe and the leads in BSR appear as supporting characters in SM, but BSR takes place several years earlier in the timeline. Later volumes of BSR, however, have been approaching the SM timeline. Coyote and (off-screen) Hermes have made appearances now, so it must be less than a year to the beginning of SM.
mo2468

Postby Shroud » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:40 pm

Thanks.I like to know for completeness. :D
Group: Kawaii Neko
Group status: it's always been complete
Not taking applications
Shroud

Postby yellow dancer » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:55 pm

Who's your favorite character?

Lahti was my favorite in the series, a mysterious and dangerous seme.

Who's your favorite character other than Lahti or Kai?

Maria sent chills down my spine. She was a sociopath, a kindred spirit to Mizuki without the phallic sacrifice for Taki.

Do you like or dislike Maria? As a character? As a person?

It was a mixture of like and dislike. Maria was a cold-blooded killer. She was the sister of Lahti and the former lover of Kai. She was a perfect match for the men. She was a strong female character, not fragile and clingy. She was unpredictable, definitely not a person I would want to have around me.

What do you think of Lahti's attitude towards Kai? Towards Maria?

Lahti was stoic and ruthless, the fearless leader of Sarte. He tested and finally trusted Kai, but his true feelings for the dark-haired man have remained unspoken. I remember in Steal Moon, once Kai returned, Lahti fell asleep holding his arm. Lahti was not a man to ignore challenges, or to tolerate having his possessions taken from him. I believe he would have killed Maria to reclaim Kai after she captured him. Maria was like the darker side of his soul; locked with her in a twisted and obsessive relationship, forever caught between love and hate. I doubt it was sexual in nature, but brother and sister were rivals for Kai. Maria would not hesitate to use Kai in order to wound Lahti.

What do you think of Kai's attitude towards Lahti? Towards Maria?

It started as a mission of revenge for Kai. He believed the man with the unusual ring murdered Maria. His objective soon changed. Kai started to want Lahti. He wanted to become a stronger fighter, wanting to win the right to stand next to Lahti as an equal. His feelings for Maria, the woman he once loved in another city and the deadly woman who taunted Lahti, confused Kai. It was the memory of her that haunted Kai, giving Maria the advantage over him. Kai wanted to redeem, or perhaps save Maria. After she captured Kai, she claimed she wanted the peace she once knew when she was with him. That ploy tempted Kai. I believe Maria was teasing Kai, waiting for Lahti to arrive. Kai wanted to bring peace between the brawling brother and sister.

Have you followed the events beyond volume 2 already (ie, read volumes 3 and 4)?

No. I hope Juné will print the final volumes, and hopefully, in the same format. I would hate to have two large volumes followed by two diminutive volumes.

Any other thoughts about the series?

I enjoyed Steal Moon more than Blue Sheep Reverie.
yellow dancer

Postby Moonmaiden » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:04 am

Saw in amazon that june will release vol 3 on January 25th!
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sheep-Reveri ... 02952011_9

Hopefully it won't be delayed ^^
Moonmaiden

Postby Noon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:55 am

Does anyone know if volume 4 was the last of the series or is it still ongoing? Volume 4 was published in May 2010 but no word about volume 5.
Noon

Postby lore » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:36 am

I believe the story is continuing to Volume 6 or 7? Mo will probably be by here to confirm this. Apparently, Tateno keeps extending the story; just when she thinks it will only be one more volume, the story expands again on her.

As a fan of long stories, I can only say: HUZZAH! :lol:

love, lore
lore

Next

Return to Juné Titles