Introduction to Yaoi

Talk about anything Yaoi here.

Introduction to Yaoi

Postby yellow dancer » Thu May 07, 2009 1:59 pm

I started reading yaoi manga with Fake. I fell for Dee and Ryo. The dudes are so adorable, separately and together as a couple. After that, I moved on to Juné manga titles. The first manga I purchased under their label was Alcohol, Shirt and Kiss. The second was Love Control. I finally completed the Jazz series, but I am still searching for volume one of Yellow. I have learned two painful lessons: Time is your enemy, and never purchase an incomplete series.
I started reading Embracing Love online. I was hooked. The art was beautiful. I was impressed with the graphic details and the emotional depth of her characters, Iwaki-san and Kato. I had to collect the manga. My search continues, my suffering is unending...
Gorgeous Carat was a dark series. I found it distressing and entertaining. Overall, I would recommend it. The Finder series was another series I stumbled upon while I was online.
May 11. I purchased Cut this weekend. It was a sad, but inspiring story about two young men struggling with the horrors of their pasts. I also scooped up a copy of The Dawn of Love. I will read that tonight. I was tempted to pick up Little Butterfly, since volumes 1 through 3 were sitting on the shelf. I had to resist the urge. The Anime Expo is coming up shortly...
Last edited by yellow dancer on Mon May 11, 2009 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
yellow dancer

Re: Introduction to Yaoi

Postby chibi-oni » Thu May 07, 2009 7:44 pm

We may have some news soon that will help you in your frustrated search... keep reading!
chibi-oni

Postby Pandora's_Box » Wed May 13, 2009 11:03 pm

Have you tried Barnes and Noble? That would be a good place, to look for Yellow if the store doesn't have it then you could always look on the main site.
Not all those who wander are lost
Pandora's_Box

Postby sarcastigirl » Fri May 15, 2009 8:49 am

My first shonen-ai was Loveless, and my first yaoi was Little Butterfly. They're still my favourites! XD

I have to buy all my manga online, though, as local bookshops only stock Naruto and Bleach. -_-
*~Nekoboy lover~*
sarcastigirl

Postby yellow dancer » Fri May 15, 2009 11:08 am

I checked Barnes and Noble. Thanks for the tip on that. I had forgotten about the retailer. No new copies of Yellow Vol. 1 are currectly available. A used copy, in unknown physical condition, was listed as over $71.00! I nearly cried. I am cheap. I could possibly pay that much for serveral books and shipping charges, but not for one book alone.
yellow dancer

Postby k_canales » Fri May 15, 2009 8:04 pm

yellow dancer wrote:I checked Barnes and Noble. Thanks for the tip on that. I had forgotten about the retailer. No new copies of Yellow Vol. 1 are currectly available. A used copy, in unknown physical condition, was listed as over $71.00! I nearly cried. I am cheap. I could possibly pay that much for serveral books and shipping charges, but not for one book alone.

You are NOT cheap. They're just over charging. Seriously! Have you checked Akadot.com? I think I saw it there a couple of weeks back... maybe. What about eBay?

I guess I got started with BL by pure accident. I came across a scan of Okane Ga Nai online (talk about a shock! this is pretty hard core... and I still hope to one day own it ;) ). But the first BL title that I actually bought was actually Little Butterfly and immersed myself in the BL online community. As I read and learned more, I became a lot more selective of what I do buy because I like to keep what I buy (do not re-sell). I did buy some BL in my local comic store, but lately I've been buying most of it through either akadot.com or amazon.com (can't beat that free shipping), so now 100% is from online stores; it's just a lot more convenient.
k_canales

Postby yellow dancer » Fri May 22, 2009 1:59 pm

The recession forced me to purchase online. The manga stores in my neighborhood closed up. The last survivor decided to sell the yaoi at clearance prices. I bought two and received the third manga free. I was all over that table sale.
When I pre-ordered titles from borders.com, my orders were canceled. That happened twice when I wanted to buy the last volume of the S series. I wanted to scream! I had waited so long, and then, I could not buy it. In addition, borders.com wanted to cheat me out of my borders bucks – redeemable bucks I earned because of the accumulation of my total purchases. I sent a scathing e-mail to their customer service.
When I went to my local bookstore, the titles I wanted were not on the shelf. I could have bought ten copies of Fruits Basket and Death Note, but not one Juné title was in sight. I cursed and said forget it.
I started buying on amazon.com, but that was a hassle if the item was not in stock. I learned my lesson. I started buying directly from akadot.com. It was easier! Now I wait for the release dates of the titles I want and I order.
yellow dancer

Postby lore » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:59 pm

We may have some news soon that will help you in your frustrated search... keep reading!

Chibi-oni, you are evil, because for about two seconds, I thought you meant Embracing Love, and then I realised you probably meant Yellow. Evil! Evil! Evil!

love, huge Nitta fan lore
lore

Postby Lady Kakata » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:26 am

My first yaoi manga (and the first one I purchased with my hard-earned cash waaay back) was Sanami Matoh's FAKE and I was hooked from the moment I sat on a damp bench in Glasgow waiting for my mother to finish shopping. I rushed back up to Forbidden Planet and bought volume 2 and read them on the train home :lol: Ahh memories!

My first yaoi anime was Ai No Kusabi; I bought it mostly because of most websites being 'omfgmanpr0n!' about it. But I started watching, I was hooked, and when it came to the sex scenes I couldn't believe I wanted to watch purely for that. In the end, I was crying and for a week afterword I didn't even so much as want to look at the cover of the DVD, I was so profoundly touched (and I'm supposed to be a tough-girl tomboy :oops: )

I'm a collector although in recent years I've had to cut down my buying waaaaaay down to my intense frustration >_< The last one I bought was Hero Heel vol. 2 a few months ago, I really need to get back into the game. My collecting is still ongoing and I recently got my hands on a SIGNED copy of a FAKE drama CD 8D
: [ Huge RP Board. JOIN TODAY! ] :
Lady Kakata

Postby Lady Kakata » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:30 am

P.S I buy all my manga from Amazon.co.uk since their books are usually pristine, unlike in Forbidden Planet and have a large selection. If they don't have it I try Play.com but that's only if Amazon is out of sto ck
: [ Huge RP Board. JOIN TODAY! ] :
Lady Kakata

Next

Return to Yaoi Talk