Yellow Discussion

Talk about Juné Manga titles.

Yellow Discussion

Postby mo2468 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:13 pm

So, let's actually talk about a series! I want to hear what other people think about this title. I read it so long ago and now that it's back in print I want to know what other people that I didn't get to chat it up with back then think of it. The rules: try not to post any big spoilers (or at least preempt spoilers with a warning)!

So, let's kick it off with some questions:

Who's your favorite character?

Who's your favorite character other than Taki or Goh?

What's your favorite chapter?

Which volume is your favorite?

Which of the extra chapters was your favorite?

What are you most excited for the opportunity to see in Yellow 2?

My answers:

I'm a Taki girl, but if I had to pick someone else, I have a strange interest in Kei for some reason. He seems like this really complex character and (without spoiling anything) by the end of the series I was left wondering what became of him and hoping he would find happiness somewhere. My favorite chapter was the last chapter of volume 2 (Act 6) of the original releases (it's the last chapter, not including extras, in the Omnibus volume 1) because it was just so wonderfully paced, and my favorite volume is volume 3 (even with its nasty cliffhanger). My favorite of all the extras (and I have the Japanese tankobans of the Omnibus volumes, so I already have the ones in the second omnibus, even though the English release was just listed at Akadot this week) would have to be the one with the flashback to Taki and Goh's first meeting at the end of volume 3. It's so telling and well-placed in the story arc for that moment. I'm most looking forward to seeing Kei pop up in Yellow 2. He's got to show, right? It should be fun.

Feel free to add any other thoughts on the series' story and characters not addressed in the above questions, too! I'm only posting them as a jumping off point.
mo2468

Re: Yellow Discussion

Postby aoi_aka » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:44 am

Not the annoying ones and those are mostly Goh's ukes. ^^;; You're making me pick just one? I love Taki and Goh equally.

There were other characters? I didn't notice. *bricked* Uh...nobody else stood out for me.

The one where Taki finally realizes and admits that he is attracted to Goh. That chapter is worth the rest of the series being one huge you-know-what.

The last one.

I don't remember them! >_< I haven't read this in ages.

It was torture waiting in between volumes to be released. I am very happy that new chapters are coming out. That was very special treat from June and Tateno-sensei. This is one of those titles that I can pick up at any time and the spark that was there when I first read the books is still there.

aoi_aka

Postby Noon » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:21 am

Honestly, I love both Goh and Taki equally.

Hmm... Not really a favorite but I did like that detective who made an appearance in either volume 1 or 2. I forgot his name.

The chapter when Taki finally confessed to Goh and then the wonderful first time.

Volume 3.

I guess it was at the end of the second omnibus volume where Taki is working at a bar and Goh was visiting him. The last two pages were good.

More love scenes between the two. I just cannot get enough of them.

When I first got the volumes, I didn't expect myself to enjoy this series as much as I did. I instantly became a Makoto Tateno fan after reading Yellow. After that, I tried hunting down all of her licensed works and stumbled across Hero Heel. Her works are simply wonderful. Her BL works are not just about sex but she accompanies it with great stories.
Honestly, I never get tired of rereading Yellow. When I feel like it, I just go to the shelf and read it again. I was so happy when I heard that June has licensed Yellow 2 as I didn't expect there to be more Goh and Taki.
Noon

Postby verygorgeous » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:30 am

Noon - The detective is Hatozaki.

Yellow holds a dear place in my heart. After reading Gravitation and Fake (these were my gateway drugs) I decided to jump head first into the yaoi genre. Sadly the titles I picked were not wise choices and I was almost ready to give up. That is when I picked up Yellow. It convinced me to stick with the genre and I haven't looked back since. It really is a great story.

I love Taki and Goh almost as equally but I think I like Goh just a smidge more. Outside of these two I like Kanji. I know he's one of the more annoying characters but I see some of my personality traits in him. He's loud, tactless (not on purpose), and an all around gooball.

I haven't gotten the second volume of the omnibus but I'm looking forward to it. Out of all of the scenes my favorite is actually in Yellow 2. It's where both of them are hunting for information in their favorite host/hostess bars and the reaction from the hosts/hostesses as well as the reaction that they both have while surrounded by such hot properties are the same. Loved it!

I'm glad that Tateno-sama decided to continue the Yellow storyline. Because Taki and Goh are two of her favorites I wasn't too surprised when I heard that she was creating new stories featuring them.
Last edited by verygorgeous on Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
verygorgeous

Postby sun22 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:01 am

Yellow is not my fav from this author, but I started to like it after I read vol 3 and 4, esp. volume 4. The reason I didn't like previous volumes is that it first appeared to be just a collection of short detective / mystery stories, and those are typically not what I like (I didn't like Fake at all, same reason). But later volumes revealed a coherent (and engaging) storyline, which combined all / most of the individual "hanging threads"/stories.

My fav character is probably Kei, as he's most complex.

It's been a while since I read the series, though I did get an omnibus. I'm planning to re-read it once Yellow 2 is complete.
sun22

Postby lore » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:57 am

Favorite character? I'm a Taki gal. I like Goh, but he's too excitable and prone to running off without thinking for my personal fave tastes.

Favorite character other than Taki or Goh? Katsuro! Um...mainly because he helped drive the end and he seems like he could use a new partner. He made me wonder about his life.

Favorite volume? I'll say it: 4! It's the culmination of the plot, the culmination of the heavy lust vibes and there's action! The ending may be pat and, yeah, I wish Goh would have had better timing, but I was able to see past all that because there's so much to swoon over.

What are you most excited for the opportunity to see in Yellow 2? More backstory on Goh! It's his turn after all. Also, I'd like to see Taki making it back to his old self.

Definitely need to reread this, but I'm waiting for omnibus 2 to do it.
lore

Postby 2old4yaoi » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Does anyone has the Yellow vol 1 omnibus yet? How was the look, quality etc ? Currently I only have vol 2 - 4 from the original Yellow. Since the original vol 1 is too hard to get, I am thinking about just donating my vol 2 to a used books store here & getting the Yellow Omnibus vol 1 that has the original vol 1 & 2 of Yellow.
Group: Naname
Translator: Coatimundi
Letterer: Idioteva
Editor: 2old4yaoi
2old4yaoi

Postby sun22 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:42 am

2old4yaoi wrote:Does anyone has the Yellow vol 1 omnibus yet? How was the look, quality etc ?

I don't have the book in front of me right now, but here's "approximate" answer:

Yellow 1 omnibus is thick (2 volumes in one, so it makes sense), no dust cover, same size as "old" Yellow edition, with at least 4 color inserts (in the front of the book), at least one extra chapter in the end of the book (not included in the "old" Yellow), and tons of extras in the end of the book, such as character profiles. Standard June quality of paper. IMO, it looks good, I like thick / over-sized manga books, for some reason :D

If you want know more precise detail, let me know! I will have to take a look at the book then.
sun22

Return to Juné Titles