June Poll: Which Mangaka Would You Like On June?

Talk about Juné Manga titles.

Which mangaka that haven't been published by June' would you like to see on June' next?

Masare Minase
20%
Yuzuha Ougi
10%
Nase Yamato
17%
Setona Mizushiro
11%
Riko Nekota
1%
Kano Miyamoto
15%
Banana Nangoku
9%
Sakufu Ajimine
3%
Sakae Kusama
5%
CJ Michalski
8%

Total votes : 181

Re: June Poll: Which Mangaka Would You Like On June?

Postby Hiyoshimaru » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:36 pm

I like Masara Minase too! *SQUEE*
Hiyoshimaru

Postby sun22 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:12 pm

JRBrown wrote:Mizushiro is #1 with a bullet. I don't have an issue with Cornered Mouse as a June title, although of course if it would have to be censored (which I don't think it would; it's not all that explicit) I'd rather have it as an 801 title.

Pages 81; 126-127; 190; 193 (volume 1) of Cornered Mouse series (French edition) feature fully visible (uncensored) full frontal nudity and other mature things - far beyond of what I've seen from June so far. I'd prefer 801-Media handle that title, and one of the reasons (in addition to explicit, very tastefully done sex scenes) is also the apparent demographics for this title being older women, not young girls. I cannot imagine that many late-teen girls (aka "wider distribution" that comes with June imprint) liking that series that much, but I can imagine many older yaoi fans REALLY falling for it, especially if artwork is kept true to the original.
sun22

Postby JRBrown » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:13 am

sun22 wrote:Pages 81; 126-127; 190; 193 (volume 1) of Cornered Mouse series (French edition) feature fully visible (uncensored) full frontal nudity and other mature things - far beyond of what I've seen from June so far. I'd prefer 801-Media handle that title, and one of the reasons (in addition to explicit, very tastefully done sex scenes) is also the apparent demographics for this title being older women, not young girls. I cannot imagine that many late-teen girls (aka "wider distribution" that comes with June imprint) liking that series that much, but I can imagine many older yaoi fans REALLY falling for it, especially if artwork is kept true to the original.

a) I don't think it's so different from what's come out from June. I'd have to go back and look at some of the June titles I have boxed, but aside from being rather "wet", which, judging from some of the changes discussed here, the bookstore market objects to, the sex scenes are fairly discreetly composed and there's nothing in particular that strikes me as beyond June's limits.

b) I don't really feel that 801 targets an older market, aside from the natural side effects of not having 16+ titles. The other yaoi-reading women I know will buy what they like regardless of imprint, and not everyone disdains the lighter or less explicit romances. The "wider distribution" of June refers to the greater bookstore presence of that imprint; there's always significantly increased sales from the ease of purchase, exposure and impulse buying that comes with having your book in a store as opposed to having to buy it online.
JRBrown

Postby sun22 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:43 am

JRBrown wrote:a) I don't think it's so different from what's come out from June. I'd have to go back and look at some of the June titles I have boxed...

This is going somewhat off-topic (sorry to everyone here), but please, by all means, do, as I'm quite curious. Please name that June book that has uncensored sex scenes comparable in explicitness to major Setona Mizushiro's yaoi work, and in particular those pages I gave you. A single example of such June book would suffice, but naming a few would be more convincing, of course. Maybe, let's open a new thread for that, I will find it as soon as you open it (June Titles section would be the most suitable, I guess, or maybe "Yaoi Talk").

Re:
JRBrown wrote: The other yaoi-reading women I know will buy what they like regardless of imprint, and not everyone disdains the lighter or less explicit romances
- that's true, and that actually confirms my point. My original point is that June is more wildly distributed, and my impression (and it's my impression only, certainly not something I have any "hard facts" for) is that "wide distrbution" includes many readers in their teens. Given "wider distribution", books have to be censored, and I really don't see the point in going after "wider audience" - if this means censorship - if that 'wider audience" is not even prime demographics for this title. Those who read mature yaoi will find and greatly enjoy (and pay DMP money) for this Setona Mizushiro's title, even if it's more narrowly distributed. If this book gets censored, many of those same fans would "suffer", though of course now the book can be "wider distributed". It's the publisher's choice, and in case of this title, I believe I have a reason to be concerned, as I really care about this work, and want to buy it in English the way its original author intended it to be.

Not sure why you interpret my words as older yaoi readers having "disdain" towards less explicit titles, I certainly do not have such "disdain", and own / read / really enjoyed quite a few.
sun22

Postby mo2468 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:44 am

JRBrown wrote:The "wider distribution" of June refers to the greater bookstore presence of that imprint; there's always significantly increased sales from the ease of purchase, exposure and impulse buying that comes with having your book in a store as opposed to having to buy it online.

Yes, and also, I was recently pointed to an old Tokyopop forum thread (about their own censorship) where someone quoted that Dark Horse found a 40% decrease in sales when a title was shrinkwrapped and/or labeled as having mature content, because distributors and retailers were less likely to order the books and stock them. 801 Media as an imprint was created with that fact in mind, I'm sure. It basically means if they want to release these books uncensored, they won't get sold in stores and they'll lose over a third of potential profit as a result. What titles get put on the imprint then must be considered seriously and carefully. They can't all get released on 801, though I'd still prefer to see a book like the Mizushiro one on 801. I'd still buy it either way, though.

EDIT: I was unclear in my original post, but as I don't wish to go further off-topic I will briefly clarify. If the books are already seeing a 40% drop just for being shrinkwrapped, imagine what those numbers must be for a title that is also uncensored. No store, as I said above, would carry it, including the ones, like Borders, who would carry some of the simply shrinkwrapped ones.
Last edited by mo2468 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mo2468

Postby sun22 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:58 am

mo2468 wrote:I was recently pointed to an old Tokyopop forum thread (about their own censorship) where someone quoted that Dark Horse found a 40% decrease in sales when a title was shrinkwrapped and/or labeled as having mature content, because distributors and retailers were less likely to order the books and stock them.

Wouldn't this title (Setona Mizushiro's series) be still MOST likely labeled 18+ and shrinkwrapped, even under June's imprint? So, wouldn't same policy apply to such 18+ June books, as it was the case for Dark Horse books? (Admittedly, I've never seen a single June book sold in my area, so I don't know how they usually sell June's books. But, I think stores are likely to treat June at least as "strictly" as more mainstream Dark Horse manga...)
sun22

Postby ChibiKami » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:29 am

Again everyone-

Let's keep it on topic.
ChibiKami

Postby reader17 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:50 pm

I went with Minase, Kano and Nase. Love these authors and I think June would do pretty good with them. I would of loved to pick Setona Mizushiro also. All of these authors are really good so I am happy to get any of them. But I really have a soft spot for Minase and Kano works.

I just hope if any of them get licensed they are all in original form. I don't think any of these are to explicit so I would see no reason to edit.

Some of the other Authors I think would be better with 801. I really think the more explicit titles should always go with 801 since there is much less chance of it being edited.
reader17

Postby niastyle » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:24 am

I voted for Minase, Kano, and Nase. I would especially love to see Ougi titles, but only if 801 does them. It would break my heart if they were edited. I would also like to see "The Carp on the Chopping Block Jumps Twice" by Setona, really great manga. And I really really really want "Rules" and "Hydra" by Kano.

One mangaka who wasn't listed that I was disappointed that they weren't, but I would love to see published is Takatsuki Noboru. I love her work, especially "Renai Shinan". Great stuff.
niastyle

Postby Senyoru-Chan » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:48 am

I voted for Yamato Nase cause she's funny but I'd like to see more Haruka Minami on 801!
Senyoru-Chan

PreviousNext

Return to Juné Titles