What do you think of the new eManga site?

Talk about issues related to the eManga website.

Re: What do you think of the new eManga site?

Postby anthyq » Fri May 29, 2009 8:53 am

I've only been browsing the site for a bit, but I really like what I've seen.

However, I'm using a 17" CRT monitor, and it's impossible to read the manga at the current maximum zoom level. The text is too small. I've tried a bunch of resolutions, and it doesn't make any difference.

Any chance that those of us with oldbie monitors (or who use notebooks/netbooks with small screens) could be given the option to zoom even more? Another 100%-200% more? Like, an "extra large" and a "super extra large" option? I am totally ok with scrolling a lot horizontally or vertically, if I could read the text comfortably.

Thank you in advance.
anthyq

Postby migimaru » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:11 am

anthyq wrote:I've only been browsing the site for a bit, but I really like what I've seen.

However, I'm using a 17" CRT monitor, and it's impossible to read the manga at the current maximum zoom level. The text is too small. I've tried a bunch of resolutions, and it doesn't make any difference.

Any chance that those of us with oldbie monitors (or who use notebooks/netbooks with small screens) could be given the option to zoom even more? Another 100%-200% more? Like, an "extra large" and a "super extra large" option? I am totally ok with scrolling a lot horizontally or vertically, if I could read the text comfortably.

Thank you in advance.

We've tested the site on 17" CRT monitors here in the office, and we haven't seen any problems yet. It sounds like you might have the Fit to Page option turned on. Try setting the view mode to 1 Page and turn off the Fit to Page.

If you've already done that and still can't read it, then that's something we'll have to look into.
migimaru

Postby aoi_aka » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:10 pm

admin wrote:
aoi_aka wrote:I have noticed that the reader has a tendency to focus panels out of order. For example L'Etoile Solitaire. In a two-page spread, the focus should go to the farther right, top panel. Instead the focus was going to the left side, top panel. Meaning that the reader was displaying panels left to right instead of right to left. I don't know if it's the reader or how the order of panel reading is set by a human being. Plus there were some panels skipped altogether. Zooming in or changing the display doesn't help.

Can you give specific pages where things were wrong? I skimmed through part of the book just now and didn't notice anything out-of-order, but I didn't have time to check the entire book.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you but here it is. I'm reading this in panel mode, fit to panel and medium resolution, and I click "next" or "previous" to read bubble to bubble. Also my screen is 1024x768 and my screen is probably 17" non-CRT (whatever these flat panel monitors are called now)

Pg31, middle panel: the focus goes from top "He seems so...mature." to the middle but when I click on Next, it stays in the same spot but the focus moves slightly to the right. It then continues to the bottom part of that middle panel.

Pg34, second panel to the right (I just noticed that the "fit to panel" button at the top goes on and off between panels; is that normal?): despite click on Next, the focus remains on the panel where Micah and his secretary are talking. I have to click a second time for the focus to continue down.

Pg67, last panel: the focus should be in three steps since it's a vertical panel. It goes top, middle, top (again), middle (again), then bottom.

Pg71, second panel, bottom: it's doing the same thing pg31 did. This time the focus shifts slightly to the left.

Pg75, first panel: the focus should take two steps at the most for that panel. It takes three. The second step (I'm calling them steps but they're clicks of the Next button) is just shifting the focus slightly down. The third step then shows the bottom part of the panel.

Pg79, top panel: slight shifting down when clicking on Next. That second shifting isn't necessary since the first shows all of the panel and the bubbles.

Pgs89-90: here's the first major one. The focus goes from the last panel in pg89 to the second panel on pg90 (the one where Yuuki's bro tells him he had plenty of time to fool around in middle school 'cause he was a second son). The reader is displaying panels left to right, rather than right to left on pg90.

Pg99, first panel: repeat of pg75

pg104, first panel: this is almost a repeat of pg75 except that the second step goes down just a bit and on the third step, it goes back to the top of the panel. The fourth step does shift down more to the middle of the panel and it continues correctly after that.

Pg116, second panel: After the first step, the focus shifts slightly down. On the second step, it goes back up again but after that, it's fine.

Pg 163, first panel: repeat of pg75

Pg176, the whole page: here's the second major error. The page begins fine with the panel on the right but instead of continuing down (it's a vertical panel), it goes to the next panel which is on the left side of the page. It continues all the way to the bottom (what should be the end of that page) and then it goes back to the first panel with Micah's secretary. Order is all wrong.

Pg191: same as pg75

Pg206: the panels on the left side of the page are viewed in this order - top, bottom, middle.

Pg226, top pervy panel: the focus starts at the top of the panel, on the next step it shifts a bit more but on the next step, it goes back to the top.

And this last bit is more of a grammatical error. On pg230, Micah says "Let's always love each other without abandon." It should be "with abandon". :)

I just tried switching the viewer to 1 page, fit to page and zoom in to large and I guess I can move the page around with my pointer too.
aoi_aka

Postby migimaru » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:30 am

Wow, thanks so much for the thorough explanation! This helps a lot, as it highlights for us a problem that happened when we changed from the old reader to the new reader.

Previously, the reader didn't automatically break up panels that didn't fit on screen, so large panels were broken up manually. Now, the reader automatically does that for us, but it's still pulling the old panel data. Unfortunately, this leads to some cases where the panel parts are still too big for the screen, so the new reader is breaking up each panel again, leading to some unnecessary movements. We'll go through all of the titles and correct this issue. It'll take some time, but we'll do it!

Also, about the Fit to Panel button, it grays out depending on whether the current panel already fits on the screen or not.

You're definitely correct that some of these were actually in the wrong order in our database: pg. 90, pg. 176, and pg. 206. These have been fixed now.

As for the grammatical error, that's unfortunately what got printed in the actual book :oops:

Again, thank you very much for the helpful criticism - it makes it easier for us to fix these problems when we have such detailed information! :D From now on, whenever you see something that seems off, by all means let us know!
migimaru

Postby aoi_aka » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:55 pm

Heh, I figured the grammar mistake is not something you can fix. ^^;;

You're welcome. I was afraid it was a bit too much. The other titles I've read are okay (even before you posted the fixes on L'Etoile). The one I read The Color of Love, I liked it so much that I bought it and reread it when I got in the mail.

I'm glad you have this great idea to offer books for reading through the point system. It gives me the opportunity to read titles that I think I might want to read but not sure if I want a hard copy. The Color of Love proved to me that the system works. :mrgreen:
aoi_aka

Postby LawlietsSugarHigh » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:06 pm

its alright. D:
~Alice~
Image Image Image
LawlietsSugarHigh

Postby Aerliss » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:57 am

Only signed up yesterday. Rented Steal Moon (looking forward to the next one!) and sampled a few others. So far; all looks good.

The reader works perfectly for me (once I worked out I only had to click Next to scroll down the page). Slight problem with pages that have three long panels... I keep reading the text bubbles in the wrong order. But I very much doubt anything can be done to fix that... outside of me getting a bigger screen.

Site is very easily navigable and intuitive. No problems there.

My only complaint; more titles! XD All in good time, I guess.

Oh, a PayPal paying option would be handy and would feel more secure.

That's about it; looking forward to a long and loving relationship with eManga :lol:
Aerliss

Postby Hiyoshimaru » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:01 pm

You should get the OEL authora, Yayoi Neko and Lara Yokoshima to make comics too. I highly recommend them, ya?
Hiyoshimaru

Postby azureus » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:55 am

Aerliss wrote:Oh, a PayPal paying option would be handy and would feel more secure.

YES! YES! I had a look at buying some points, and the credit card only screen scared me :cry:
I'll work up to it when I find something I really want to rent - but a Paypal option would be great.

Or something like the Amazon.com currency converter for international purchases.
When I buy stuff from Amazon I get billed the exact amount in my local currency (NZD) with no other hidden conversion fees.
*hopeful*
azureus

Postby ii1iSee » Tue May 25, 2010 6:52 am

Hello,

1. I wonder if I might support mangakas by renting or buying titles on emanga.com?
If your answer is yes, it would really be great. Because I am more than willing to support great artists to sustain their works.

2. The other point is a request: I am reading manga on my notebook holding it like a book by rotating the images. it would be great to be able to rotate the images on the reader.

Thanks.
ii1iSee

Previous

Return to Site Talk