Hi Everyone! I am a manga old-timer.

Introduce yourself to the rest of the DMP community!

Hi Everyone! I am a manga old-timer.

Postby Manga Hank » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:12 pm

Hello.

I guess I am an old-timer when it comes to manga, but I am a newbie regarding on-line forums and sharing my experience, so here I hope I am putting out the right foot forward.

I guess I have been reading manga for over 30 years, so I have started from a time when reading manga was taboo, and now reading manga is a hip thing to do. I started to collect manga when I became adult and had the mean to do so, and today I probably have about 2000 books in my collection (I never really count them, but Golgo 13 alone is over 150 volumes now). I bought them much faster than I read them, so I have only read maybe half or less of my collection so far. I have been working on reversing that trend in recent years.

I would say I stick to the main stream male titles in the adult and youth levels. There are probably more sci-fi themed than other categories. I haven't understood or appreciated yaoi manga, but I have enjoyed some of Clamp's work touching in this area. I generally would select a title more based on the art/drawing than on the stories (it is manga after all, not novels), and there are a few artists I followed religiously and I assume I have purchased every title they published.

Because I have a huge backlog, my expertise tend to be in the older titles instead of the up-and-coming ones. As a reference, the titles I am familiar with probably were published between the time of City Hunter and the beginning of Gunnm Last Order. Anyway, I look forward to exchange ideas with others who are interested in this type of manga as I do, and hopefully I can offer some information or assistance if applicable :) .
Manga Hank

Re: Hi Everyone! I am a manga old-timer.

Postby Hiyoshimaru » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:45 pm

Hello! you don't like yaoi? Well, I'm a full-blown fujoshi girl! Haha. See ya around!
Hiyoshimaru

Postby Manga Hank » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:07 pm

Well, this is where my being out dated becomes apparent by the generation gap :oops: I had to look up fujoshi in Wikipedia to learn its yaoi meaning, as my dictionary only turned up the "regular" translation. I guess this is how I learn something new :) Thanks, and I hope to contribute more in the future.
Manga Hank

Postby lore » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:17 pm

So, sounds to me like you're up for a little exposure to BL/Yaoi, and that you'd love to discuss old-school manga as well, yes?

Sir Hank, you have come to the right place! Please feel free to make use of the various "general talk" sections of the various imprint boards. You should get some good conversation here at the DMP General Talk board (http://www.digitalmanga.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19). And if you want to explore the world of BL a bit more, come visit us on the June imprint part of the forums (http://www.digitalmanga.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=13). Beware the 801 forums unless you are prepared to discuss a lot of seriously nekkid man-love. ;)

I'm directing you to the General Talk boards only because it sounds like a lot of the books you might be discussing aren't part of this publisher's works, but of course I hope we hear from you in the other parts of the forums as well. I'm not a mod, but if you need anything, feel free to ask. And welcome! I hope you'll have a good time here. :D

love, lore

PS - Seriously edited this because *I* thought I was at some other part of the board. Oops! :oops:
lore

Postby Hiyoshimaru » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:57 pm

lore wrote:Beware the 801 forums unless you are prepared to discuss a lot of seriously nekkid man-love. ;)

That was just hilarious. "seriously nekkid man-love"

That'll be my new catchphrase... :lol:
Hiyoshimaru

Return to Introductions