Request to Consider Licensing ViewFinder Artbook

Talk about Ayano Yamane's Finder Series!

Request to Consider Licensing ViewFinder Artbook

Postby 2old4yaoi » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:16 pm

I know that DMP has licensed & published Nitta Yuka's "Kiss of Fire" artbook. Is there any chance that DMP is considering licensing & publishing the "Aya" & "ViewFinder" characters' artbook for the English market as well? I think the demand (& margin) will be huge! :) There are a lot of yaoi fan girls who will love to have more colored collection of Ayane Yamano's works. I definitely would :D
Group: Naname
Translator: Coatimundi
Letterer: Idioteva
Editor: 2old4yaoi
2old4yaoi

Re: Request to Consider Licensing ViewFinder Artbook

Postby Hiyoshimaru » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:17 am

Oh! I'd love that! OMG! Ayano Yamane's artbook would be awsum! :D *smile*
Hiyoshimaru

Postby fairygirl » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:02 am

I have been debating buying a copy from Japan for some time. If I knew it might get published more "locally" I would definitely be interested in acquiring a copy.
fairygirl

Postby Ruby_Alexandrine » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:30 am

Even though I do like the thought, there is a problem. The Aya artbook was printed by the now defunct Biblos and it was never reprinted by Libre. Also, the artbook has been out of print for several years. I have the artbook and its luxurious. Its a longshot for DMP to acquire the artbook. June Manga acquired the Kiss of FIre by NItta Youka and it was not a bestseller and that one was the only yaoi artbook they ever acquired.

The Viewfinder Character book is part Viewfinder artbook (the majority of the illustrations are seen in the Aya artbook), short illustrated story, character info, and has a short interview piece of Ayano Yamane and another mangaka. In addition, it has a fold-out poster of the front cover. I also have it and its absolutely lovely. It would be a great companion piece to the Viewfinder mangas. I think TokyoPop Germany acquired the VF Character book but I'm not sure if they ever printed and distributed it in Germany.
Ruby_Alexandrine

Postby ChibiKami » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:53 am

Yeah, artbooks are a bit tricky...because obviously art doesn't require translation-so licensing an artbook is to basically do it for the additional content in it (like an interview, titles, character profiles, etc.)-and that tends to be a very small part of the book itself. but we have on occasion done it.

As of right now, we don't have any plans to do the ViewFinder artbook-but things can always change. :)
ChibiKami

Postby Noon » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:17 am

I have the import Japanese version and it is just so beautiful. I think it is a must have for every Ayano Yamane's fan.
Noon

Postby Ruby_Alexandrine » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:39 pm

Even though the Aya artbook has been out of print for several years, it is still available from Japanese vendors at Ebay. Yet be aware that the price for the artbook is $85.00 and up plus the cost of international shipping which varies from each vendor.

The most I have seen it priced is approx. $150.00 at JPQueen. If anyone is interested in purchasing it, it comes with a plastic slipcase to protect the softcover book.

The Viewfinder Character book is easily available at Amazon.com Japan or elsewhere and it doesn't cost as much as the Aya artbook.
Ruby_Alexandrine

Postby 2old4yaoi » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:37 pm

What is the original price for the Aya artbook - it can't possibly be 8900Yen ($89), is it? This is why I am wondering if it is a good profit opportunity for whoever license it in US - if you can sell it for $49.95 ... There will still be enough buyers to make it worth your while. Cost of printing can't be that much. As for the licensing fees - well, that will be more expensive.
Group: Naname
Translator: Coatimundi
Letterer: Idioteva
Editor: 2old4yaoi
2old4yaoi

Postby sawwie-chan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:45 pm

2old4yaoi wrote:What is the original price for the Aya artbook - it can't possibly be 8900Yen ($89), is it? This is why I am wondering if it is a good profit opportunity for whoever license it in US - if you can sell it for $49.95 ... There will still be enough buyers to make it worth your while. Cost of printing can't be that much. As for the licensing fees - well, that will be more expensive.

It was 3333yen, I bought mine when it was still in print.
sawwie-chan

Postby Ruby_Alexandrine » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:01 am

2old4yaoi wrote:What is the original price for the Aya artbook - it can't possibly be 8900Yen ($89), is it? This is why I am wondering if it is a good profit opportunity for whoever license it in US - if you can sell it for $49.95 ... There will still be enough buyers to make it worth your while. Cost of printing can't be that much. As for the licensing fees - well, that will be more expensive.

The Aya artbook is out of print for several years and it was originally published by Biblos. It would be difficult to acquire it especially since its no longer in print. Artbooks rarely get re-printed even if the mangaka is popular. The reason why the Aya artbook is expensive because its out of print and there are limited vendors who have it in stock. Also they are aware of Ayano Yamane's popularity.
Ruby_Alexandrine

Next

Return to Finder Series