What do you think of the new eManga site?

Talk about issues related to the eManga website.

What do you think of the new eManga site?

Postby migimaru » Mon May 11, 2009 5:23 pm

Tell us what you think about the new site and, especially, the new eManga reader! We've fixed the problems with the previous reader and incorporated some of the suggestions we received, but if there's more that you'd like to see from the reader, let us know!
migimaru

Re: What do you think of the new eManga site?

Postby nami469 » Mon May 11, 2009 6:26 pm

i think it is really good i like the idea of renting the manga... :D
nami469

Postby mo2468 » Mon May 11, 2009 8:30 pm

Yes, the reader is much improved. I'd actually like to be able to scroll with my mouse's scroll wheel when viewing pages in zoom, instead of having to grab and drag the pages around. Text is particularly difficult to read in fit to page view, so zooming is almost a requirement. This only seems to be an issue with the novels, though, as the manga panels zoom automatically. I also find it strange that using my mouse's side buttons switches between rented titles. I feel like these button functions would be just as useful, if not moreso, for moving between panels. You can click on the page to zoom to the next panel, but you can't go backwards (to reread something) without using the buttons on the screen.

Anyway, thumbs up on the integration of a forum (finally). I was hoping to see an option for user comments on specific titles, too, to help make decisions about which titles to use points on. The fact that you have to rent a whole volume at a time with only a handful of preview pages alone to make a decision from makes deciding on renting titles more difficult.
mo2468

Postby migimaru » Tue May 12, 2009 10:44 am

mo2468 wrote:Yes, the reader is much improved. I'd actually like to be able to scroll with my mouse's scroll wheel when viewing pages in zoom, instead of having to grab and drag the pages around. Text is particularly difficult to read in fit to page view, so zooming is almost a requirement. This only seems to be an issue with the novels, though, as the manga panels zoom automatically.

We will probably be adding in the scroll wheel as an option in the next update. Also, if you turn off Fit To Page, you can still use the single-click to automatically scroll down the page.

I also find it strange that using my mouse's side buttons switches between rented titles. I feel like these button functions would be just as useful, if not moreso, for moving between panels.

Unfortunately, side buttons aren't standard mouse buttons, so there's no way to consistently detect them and use them in the reader. Generally, they are only used for navigating Back/Forward in browsers.

You can click on the page to zoom to the next panel, but you can't go backwards (to reread something) without using the buttons on the screen.

Yeah, that's definitely a problem we have been unable to solve cleanly using just a mouse. But we will continue to look for more solutions to it.

Anyway, thumbs up on the integration of a forum (finally). I was hoping to see an option for user comments on specific titles, too, to help make decisions about which titles to use points on. The fact that you have to rent a whole volume at a time with only a handful of preview pages alone to make a decision from makes deciding on renting titles more difficult.

We do have plans to include title-specific comments, as well as user ratings.
migimaru

Postby mo2468 » Tue May 12, 2009 6:35 pm

Cool, thanks for the reply. I just hate moving my hand when I'm using my computer. That's why I got a mouse with five buttons, so I wouldn't have to either move the mouse to do things, or be looking around the screen for where to grab/click on things (the side buttons incidentally also work in other Microsoft windows, like document folders, which is incredibly useful when moving stuff around). I'm just lazy, I guess. My wrist gets tired pretty fast, too. And then there's the fact that I have to let the mouse go to type, but then grab it again to click on submit and whatnot. Yeah, definitely lazy. ^_^

Whatever you guys can do about that not being able to go backwards thing would be cool, though if the scroll wheel will work both ways, it might solve that problem a bit. I'll also be sure to submit user ratings and whatnot once they are available.
mo2468

Postby flcl4ever » Thu May 14, 2009 10:18 pm

I really like the site's new layout and the new reader is a vast improvement from the old one. :D
"Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain
flcl4ever

Postby Scygoku » Fri May 15, 2009 6:47 am

Nice layout and integrating several forums into one was a great idea @.@
Scygoku

Postby aoi_aka » Sun May 24, 2009 12:52 pm

I have noticed that the reader has a tendency to focus panels out of order. For example L'Etoile Solitaire. In a two-page spread, the focus should go to the farther right, top panel. Instead the focus was going to the left side, top panel. Meaning that the reader was displaying panels left to right instead of right to left. I don't know if it's the reader or how the order of panel reading is set by a human being. Plus there were some panels skipped altogether. Zooming in or changing the display doesn't help.
aoi_aka

Postby admin » Tue May 26, 2009 10:14 am

aoi_aka wrote:I have noticed that the reader has a tendency to focus panels out of order. For example L'Etoile Solitaire. In a two-page spread, the focus should go to the farther right, top panel. Instead the focus was going to the left side, top panel. Meaning that the reader was displaying panels left to right instead of right to left. I don't know if it's the reader or how the order of panel reading is set by a human being. Plus there were some panels skipped altogether. Zooming in or changing the display doesn't help.

Can you give specific pages where things were wrong? I skimmed through part of the book just now and didn't notice anything out-of-order, but I didn't have time to check the entire book.
admin

Postby aoi_aka » Tue May 26, 2009 8:57 pm

admin wrote:
aoi_aka wrote:I have noticed that the reader has a tendency to focus panels out of order. For example L'Etoile Solitaire. In a two-page spread, the focus should go to the farther right, top panel. Instead the focus was going to the left side, top panel. Meaning that the reader was displaying panels left to right instead of right to left. I don't know if it's the reader or how the order of panel reading is set by a human being. Plus there were some panels skipped altogether. Zooming in or changing the display doesn't help.

Can you give specific pages where things were wrong? I skimmed through part of the book just now and didn't notice anything out-of-order, but I didn't have time to check the entire book.

I'll check tomorrow. I just finished reading 2 titles and I'm just about to pass out from lack of sleep. More details to come. *ded*
aoi_aka

Next

Return to Site Talk