American Wasteland

Talk about Vampire Hunter D!

Re: American Wasteland

Postby Aruna » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:26 pm

Damn!!!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Don't run, you'll only die tired.

Whenever you lose contact with the enemy, look behind you.
Aruna

Postby Su-In » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:00 am

I'm probably reading way too much into this but didn't he just say that HE, Jimmy Palmiotti, wasn't doing it, not that the entire project had been cancelled? Even though I've never really seen the point of this American Wasteland idea anyway, wouldn't the people who were prepared to finance the project just hire a new writer if they really wanted to go ahead with it?
“To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest”
Su-In

Postby chibi-oni » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:19 am

Palmiotti's comments are the first I've heard that the project is "dead" at Devil's Due, but seeing as how there hasn't been any movement on it for several months now, I think it's a safe bet that American Wasteland won't be happening. It was a first foray for Devil's Due into the world of dealing with Japanese publishers/creators, and I don't think they realized the kind of hurdles you have to get over to make that work. We deal with it here ourselves on a daily basis, and believe me it can get very frustrating at times, so I understand. I think Devil's Due expected it would be a very loose thing like most American comics are, where the writer comes in, bangs out a rough plot, shuttles that over to whatever artist they can line up for it, lets them flesh everything out in the pencils, etc. Doesn't work that way in Japan. When the Japanese creator has approval over the process, which Kikuchi did in this case, you're not going to be able to move quickly. And you will have to defer to their wishes on a lot of things.

In the end, Devil's Due may have decided it was more hassle than it was worth to try and keep going. It's unfortunate, but it's probably why this sort of American/Japanese thing isn't done more often.
chibi-oni

Postby exsanguinate » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:08 pm

:evil: :( Angry and sniffly over this one. I mean, I was kinda scared that something nasty could happen with D's image, but at the same time I was pretty excited to see him turn Yank. Sigh. Maybe some other time the project'll get dusted off. Then again, maybe this is a good thing, too.

Bummer.
exsanguinate

Location: Somewhere in Ohio, but really in My Own Little World

Postby 18thAngel » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:43 pm

^ I'm sad it was cancelled just because I look forward to anything related to D, especially something like this that could have potentially made his existence known to more Americans. Sigh.
Doctor Who?
18thAngel

Postby exsanguinate » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:44 pm

OK, a little funny business from the Yahoo! group...one member says that Amazon sent him the notice that "American Wasteland" TPB is coming out soon. I'm guessing that's an error on their part. :?: Weird.
exsanguinate

Location: Somewhere in Ohio, but really in My Own Little World

Postby sothisdhampir » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:46 pm

I don't trust Amazon's release dates a bit, they have lied to me concerning D way way to much. I am brokenhearted the see that American Wasteland shall never be, but at the same time I really worry what may have happened if the story left Kikuchi's hands. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be....

At least we can still hold out hope for a live action movie at some point the future! :)
sothisdhampir

Postby Scygoku » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:54 pm

:/ I had a preorder on amazon just to be on the safe side but it was cancaled as expected yesterday
Scygoku

Postby 18thAngel » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:30 pm

sothisdhampir wrote:I don't trust Amazon's release dates a bit, they have lied to me concerning D way way to much. I am brokenhearted the see that American Wasteland shall never be, but at the same time I really worry what may have happened if the story left Kikuchi's hands. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be....

At least we can still hold out hope for a live action movie at some point the future! :)

I hope so...I admit I've looked around for someone worthy to play D, and so far, haven't come up with anyone.
I'd really like to see The Rose Princess as a movie; it just seemed to have that movie-ish quality.
Doctor Who?
18thAngel

Postby sothisdhampir » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:19 pm

Yes...I can't find anyone worthy enough to play D...perhaps Johnny Depp from 15 years ago, lol! I would prefer someone Asian who also has a very American look about him...guess thats just how I picture D. Asian guys with long hair are sooo pretty.

AH! I would LOVE to see Rose Princess on the big screen...for some reason when I think of a D movie I think of that one...there is just something about it that I just love, and think would translate wonderfully on the big screen. I thought I was the only one who would choose that one...most everyone wants something like the first novel (which is always a classic but there are better stories) of Tale of the Dead Town, but man....there is just something so darkly beautiful about Rose Princess that I would die to see on screen.
sothisdhampir

PreviousNext

Return to Vampire Hunter D