Akadot Retail remodeling

Talk about issues related to the Digital Manga website.

Akadot Retail remodeling

Postby aoi_aka » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:37 pm

Was the store red before? I don't remember but with the new color theme (aka/akai=red), I think it suits the store very well. Here's some of my thoughts. Sorry for the long blocks of text.

When searching for Doki Doki titles in the search box, I get items that have the word "doki" in their title and not what I really want to look at. 801 Media has its own "store" but not Doki Doki. The banner at the bottom directs me outside Akadot (a new tab/window opens). From there I could look for Doki Doki imprint titles under the Titles link and then click on a specific title and from that page, click on the "Buy this book now at Akadot Retail!" link so that another tab/window opens to place the order. That's way too many clicks just to buy one book (and yeah, I have FF set to open tabs when clicking on most links). The 801 Media store shows me all its titles right away without leaving Akadot. I know 801 Media's website is getting revamped but when it gets unveiled will their store at Akadot disappear and have me go through the same process as Doki Doki does?

There's still no wishlist feature. I mostly make my purchases at work and I can't keep up with what I have, what I want, and what I need. A wishlist would make this so much easier to keep track of. I wanna give my business to Akadot and not Amazon (or Borders).

When clicking on the Yaoi link on the left, the next page shows up. The only difference I see now is that besides showing the subcategories, now we get what I'm calling "a new and featured title". I hope that continues because it makes the newest releases stand out. The Yuri menu seems to have something similar. Was that there before?

The buttons for the Best Sellers submenu are neat! I like them that big but mayhap a different color scheme to match the site's theme (pink is a lighter shade of red and I'm learning I don't have to be scared of pink).

This is just me being anal retentive: it's cool to have banners and links to the different DMP websites but shouldn't the parent company's site be first? And not all of them are represented there. I had forgotten DMP Platinum even existed (sorry).

I clicked on the DMP banner and whoa! All the different imprints are listed there. Very nice (but again, I have to leave the Akadot site). I wish there were links or buttons or something listing all these different imprints. I am surprised there isn't a banner for Pop Japan Travel on Akadot now. It may just be a matter of keeping the site clutterless so I understand but maybe having a javascript link that "opens" when you mouse over it and shows the imprints. :D Actually having that type of mouse over menu for all the menus would be neat.

The "Upcoming" list on the right side of the DMP site is genius. I wish we could have something like that for Akadot. That way (if there isn't a wishlist to add titles to) I'll know when my favorite mangaka's book is coming out instead of hearing about it weeks later through a review posted on Twitter (which is how I mostly find out about these things). Although @digitalmanga will sometimes mention when a new book is in so that's helped a bit.

And speaking of Twitter! Just about every site that I visit has some sort of communication widget for Digg, Twitter, Stumble, FB, whatever the du jour is. If there were a way to add something for those widget thingies (for lack of a better name) to the individual pages (the coding must be a nightmare to add to each and every item), then I can do a Tweet saying something already scripted like "Look what I found at Akadot Retail! <link here>" The idea is to get Akadot to more people. Plus it could work as a wishlist of sorts. I could favorite those tweets and know that I want that in the future and where to find it. It's just an idea. XD

I think that's it for now. I better get back to work. ^^;;
aoi_aka

Re: Akadot Retail remodeling

Postby migimaru » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:25 pm

Just to let you know: we'll be working on some of the features you mentioned in the near future. There are a lot of good suggestions there, but it'll take a while to get to all of them!

Thank you very much for the feedback. We always love to hear constructive criticism like this :D
migimaru

Postby aoi_aka » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:58 pm

I understand. Thanks for listening to my rambling.

One other thing I'd like to mention and this would be going way beyond anything you'd implement in the future. If and when a wishlist is added to the site, would it be possible to create lists within the wishlist? It'd help to keep books I have to have to finish a series, as opposed to books that I don't have to have this instant. Or different publishers. Or import books. I could go on. ^^;;
aoi_aka

Postby aoi_aka » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:06 am

I just noticed today the pages for individual items have the bookmark and share widget thingy! That is so awesome. :D
aoi_aka

Postby mo2468 » Mon May 10, 2010 5:44 pm

Is Akadot rolling out a pre-order program, or was it always there and I've just never noticed it before? Will Pre-orders include DMP titles for pre-order? I just noticed some links to Pre-order information (when I placed my order with Maiden Rose volume 1), though doing a search for some upcoming DMP releases I was still not able to find any.
mo2468

Return to Site Talk