Teleconference report

Information on the Guild, along with Q&A.

Re: Teleconference report

Postby TropicanaTina » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:29 pm

Well, I guess I'll try again. Anybody who listened to the July 29th teleconference willing to do a write-up of the key points?
TropicanaTina

Postby ZepysGirl » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Didn't go to the July teleconference, but I made it to the teleconference today. Looks like I was the only caller, too. :lol:

(Seriously, people. Someone else join me on the September 2nd teleconference!)

Notes:

The first product of the DMG is out, and it's generating lots of revenue. That's Tired of Waiting for Love, if anyone's interested. Brigid Alverson interviewed the localizer, Kimiko Kotani, over at Publisher's Weekly.

Lots of localizing groups are creating twitters/facebook pages/other profiles to promote books. DMP would like us to send them profile info so that they can promote us on dmg.com, when they revamp the website. Self-promotion can go a long way--- and they envision a future where even other companies might hire groups based on their work.

They're going to revamp the website with social networking and ways to spotlight groups. They want to make it easier for localizers to connect with other localizers (building teams and/or adding members to existing groups). They also plan a pulse-thing for new projects to assign to individuals. Hopefully it'll be easier than they system we've got now, which is basically "crayon posts and we pounce!"

They welcome recommendations on what else we'd like on the website.

My questions:

I asked if they would be putting the previous the teleconferences online:
Yes, they'll work on that. And in the future, other teleconferences should be available online as well.

I asked how they felt about JManga.com:
Lots of the reviews have a "cloud over them". Definitely a competitor, as far as publishing things from Japan, but there's a difference. DMG is mainly made up of smaller companies, while JManga has the larger companies, so there's not as much competition as you'd think. The types of manga on the websites are completely different. Sasahara wants to have a small company win against the bigger companies.

I asked if they were considering a yearly subscription service:
They do not plan to have a monthly/yearly subscription service. "Buy It Once" seems easiest and friendliest. They want as little hurdles as possible between consumers and the books.

I asked if they were planning to expand to other platforms anytime soon:
Yes, they are planning to expand to other platforms, such as the Kindle and the Nook. However, they want to wait until more titles are available before launching on other platforms. They're worried that the titles will get lost if they send them into those platforms one at a time. Also, revenue on other platforms will be smaller to localizers, so they want give us the best chance at profit by keeping it on eManga.com for a good while. They do want to expand, but they have to look into the timing. First launchs will be at emanga.com, then they'll go from there. The cool thing is that DMP's agreements with the Japanese publishers encompass all platforms, so the possibility is out there for everything (they even mentioned PSPs!)

I asked about yaoi being removed from the Kindle:
It's blind luck. They have no way of knowing when it'll happen, or to what titles it could happen to. In the incident last May, there was no consistency between titles that were pulled and titles that were left unscathed.

The coolest thing they mentioned:
They're working on implementing incentive programs for localizers--- or they already have some? I didn't think to ask them to clarify at the time. My group still isn't up and running, so I didn't know if it was something that only people in working groups had access to.

A specific incentive they mentioned was through their Pop Japan Travel tours. Possible incentive: if the group localized 100 or 200 titles in a year, they might get free tickets on one of the tours. I don't know about anyone else, but that sounds awesome. Also slightly impossible, but awesome none the less. That's probably a "grand prize" kind of idea, but I think they mentioned there would be other types of incentives, too.

Alright, I have to run! Hope this helped. :)
I am: Typesetter and Group Leader for PURPLE PROSE KILLERS
Teamed with: zhelenstilo, RealizeMu, and dorrie6
ZepysGirl

Postby TropicanaTina » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:06 pm

Thanks for the info, ZepysGirl. :)
TropicanaTina

Postby doodlelover » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:37 am

Ahhh, thanks for all the info! The Pop travel tickets seem exciting, not to mention a great idea as a motivator. Gonna check out those interviews now.
doodlelover: Typesetter and Editor
Teamed with: ZepysGirl, zhelenstilo, RealizeMu, and dorrie6~
doodlelover

Postby stlwright » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:40 pm

Great motivation. How I would love to go on a tour in Japan.
akasha2003 - Typesetter
trunkschan90 - Typesetter
angelzash - Editor
Chilli - Editor
mushroomery - Translator
stlwright - Translator

http://twitter.com/#!/BoyPassionDMG

*Group closed*
stlwright

Postby chirechan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:30 pm

if the group localized 100 or 200 titles in a year, they might get free tickets on one of the tours.

Not to be the cynical one, but does anyone seriously think they'll put out 100-200 titles in a year? With no money up front?

Also, if DMG is hoping groups will put out so many titles (or even one fourth of that), how do they expect to deal with supply and demand? This has been bothering me for a while now. We're about to completely flood a niche market. DMG will come out on top no matter what, but won't the localizers just wind up competing with each other for a limited number of readers? I had hoped to attend the teleconference today to address this, but something came up. If anyone who reads this attends the next conference, can you please ask this question for me?
chirechan

Postby ZepysGirl » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:31 pm

As I said in my post, I thought it was a pretty impossible number (unless one were to make this their actual job, maybe). They'll probably end up just going with whichever group produces the most, I think, if they decide to go with this idea.

I don't think they're as worried with the supply/demand thing because of the nature of BL readers. From what I understand, the audience is much like the romance market: readers are normally older, which means they have more disposable income, and they are less... "picky" about what they buy.

And really, I didn't join DMG to make any money. I'm not really optimistic about how much they say we'll be getting. I'm here because I love manga and I have always wanted to try out scanlating, but the whole "It's illegal and violates copyrights" thing stopped me. :roll: I'm thrilled to have this option. I'm not qualified to edit, but typesetting is really fun too! ;)

I was going to go to the teleconference today, but Skyping with my parents in Paris came first. :lol: I should be at the next one, though! I'll be sure to ask your question for you, if you can't make it.
ZepysGirl

Postby chirechan » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:31 pm

Thanks, ZepysGirl! And your description of BL readers is reassuring. We all have different reasons for being here, and despite my questions, even I have an optimistic outlook or else I wouldn't be doing this. While I'm certainly not expecting to be able to quit my day job, I would at least like to break even with minimum wage so I don't feel exploited. So when I hear about hundreds or even thousands of titles being localized, I can't help but wonder who will be buying them all XD
chirechan

Postby TropicanaTina » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:41 pm

I guess they figure that if a group has a lot of members, then they may be be able to crank out a ton of books in a year. It would be interesting to know how large the biggest DMG group is.

Although I think it would make more sense to reward the team with the fastest rate. If, for example, a group of 3 releases more than half of the number that a group of 6 does, I think it would be fairer for the smaller group to be rewarded.
TropicanaTina

Postby ZepysGirl » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:38 am

I know I said I'd be at the teleconference on Friday, but now I can't make it because of a family engagement. =_= Anyone else willing to volunteer to take notes?
ZepysGirl

PreviousNext

Return to The Guild Guide