If you're having trouble uploading, please read!

Information on the Guild, along with Q&A.

Re: If you're having trouble uploading, please read!

Postby KouCross » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:05 pm

Kiliana wrote:
darkdespair wrote:(...)As for using MSPaint... I agree, not sure how they did it. Though, I've heard rumors about people trying it, just never seen the results. :?: I'm actually curious to see them. I've seen people pull off some pretty cool things in MSPaint, when they have the time and patience... There was this one guy who drew a really detailed car on youtube with it once. :o Even watching the vid I can't imagine how he did it. :shock:

Well yeah, obviously if you are willing to put in it time and patience you could do some pretty good stuff even in paint. The question is not whether you can use it, but *why* should you use it at all? I mean, there's no point in using something so obviously inferior, when you have access to software that is just so SO much better for the job (and can be free as well). It's like counting every equation in your head instead of using calculator @_@'

darkdespair wrote:Personally, I'm too spoiled by photoshop to even think of doing anything in MSPaint. :lol: I'm actually a little nervous about this new program they're wanting everyone to use. :? Hopefully it'll work similar to photoshop. :D

Yeah, I mentioned this somewhere earlier as well ^_^ I mean the "similar to photoshop" part. Not that I would like for it to be a photoshop clone or something.. just.. don't know - hotkeys and maybe the general "feel" of interface? Although from the other side, even if the program is completly 'new', but well designed and straight - forward to use, it wouldn't be that much of an issue to get used to it ^_^

Okay, YES, I used MS paint to type set. Or at least, a program that's named, "Paint". It's probably not the same program I used that everyone's thinking. ^-^a
Is it really that shocking? :\
I can't afford Photoshop, this was already installed onto my computer, and GIMP stopped working for me a while ago.
: (
And I don't have the skill to use Manga Studio effectively yet. :'(
On the bright side. Replacing the Text with the translated Dialogue was pretty easy. On the first page, I think I missed a line of dialogue that was supposed to go into one of the word balloons...I couldn't find the translated text, so I kind of winged it based on the direction the dialogue was going. Other than that part of improvisation, I looked through my collection of Manga and some of the stuff that's already been translated so I get a good idea of how manga is usually translated in America, I took some of that and added a bit of my own touch in there as well, my goal was to have the words flow as naturally as the artwork did. I also re-aligned the text so it makes use of the whole word balloon rather than just a small part. I think I did a pretty decent job, it's not the first time I've ever done typesetting...first time I've ever done it for work that wasn't mine though. :\
"All the pieces are in play...THIS IS MY VICTORY...!!!"
KouCross

Postby blkingston » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:40 pm

KouCross wrote:Okay, YES, I used MS paint to type set. Or at least, a program that's named, "Paint". It's probably not the same program I used that everyone's thinking. ^-^a
Is it really that shocking? :\
I can't afford Photoshop, this was already installed onto my computer, and GIMP stopped working for me a while ago.
: (
And I don't have the skill to use Manga Studio effectively yet. :'(

If it's any consolation, I don't think it's shocking at all. IMO, it probably won't matter too much what program we use in the typesetting test anyway. Judging by the screencap on the Guild's splash page, we'll probably have to use some kind of online program to typeset manga. I'd be pretty amazed if DMI gave typesetters HQ scans to download. The risk of unauthorised distribution would simply be too great.

So I don't think anyone who did the typesetter test should worry too much about the program they used. If anything, a person who achieves decent results using Paint is probably more skilled than someone like me who relies heavily on the whizbang tools of Photoshop :lol:
blkingston

Postby Kiliana » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:00 pm

blkingston wrote:So I don't think anyone who did the typesetter test should worry too much about the program they used. If anything, a person who achieves decent results using Paint is probably more skilled than someone like me who relies heavily on the whizbang tools of Photoshop :lol:

I wouldn't say that. Using worse tools does not make you do better job. I believe that in typesetting - as in every other job - what counts is the result, and making sure you achieve it the best, most efficient way possible.

So what you have to focus on while working, is optimizing your work. Sure - at the beginning, when you are just learning something, the limiting factor is your ability (or lack of such) so any tools will do. But as you progress, you get better and discover that those are not efficient enough because now, suddenly the tools are what sets the limits to your performance. So you search for better ones.

When you have to solve equation like 2+2 sure you don't reach for calculator. It's 4 and everyone knows it straight away. But how much is this: (4676865.96744/0.5457)^2+5=...? Does counting this in head makes you in any way more skilled than a person who would use calculator? If you are at a party and want to impress friends, then by all means go ahead. But if it's for work I'm not quite sure that anyone would be grateful for you wasting a few minutes for counting this when you could have solve it in a few seconds.

And to tie this back to typesetting. Sure, if it's just typesetting, paint, or whatever, will do. But what when you have to make some funky sfx's? Or edit out gutter shadows? Or just simply clone? Will you toy with select tool and then copy-paste bit by bit while praying that you don't make too many mistakes because paint does not have layers and you can ctrl+z only that many times?

That's when thing's like Paint become a limiting factor on your performance. In order to optimize your work, to reduce the amount of mistakes as much as possible, you reach for better tools, that will allow once again for your skill - and not a program - to set limits on how well you can perform. In result of which you progress further and keep learning and improving yourself as well.

Let me be clear - I have no problem whatsoever with using Paint when it's for pleasure, or for tasks that this program can handle as well as, say GIMP (like basic typesetting for example). What I *do* have problem with, and what annoys me very much, is when people (aside from above mentioned situation) rationalize, or explain with, using worse (or just plain bad) tools for the job by creating a false sense of honor in sticking with it, therefore creating an illusion of this.. feel to those rare snowflakes who dare to go against those "who rely heavily on the whizbang tools of Photoshop :lol: ". *twitch*

@KouCross - it's not that it's shocking. What made me twitch was (as it says above) the thought of doing some more tricky things with it, rather than what we had here. I apologize if I offended you with my twitching ^_^//
-- Editor found, group now completed ^_^ Thank you all! --

~ Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~
Ernest Gaines
Kiliana

Postby tsukimori » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:37 pm

i really don't like the uploader i wish they allow us to up files bigger than 1mb so we can neatly zip it all up =_=. hopefully none of my files would go missing after i upload it to them.
tsukimori

Postby Kiliana » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:17 am

@tsukimori - right? I know how you feel, it had me worrying as well. And earlier it was even worse (dunno if you seen it or not), because it did not show to you the name of file you just uploaded. I remember that when I was uploading my finished test, I got distracted for a few seconds by someone talking to me, and then had an "holy_crap_where_was_I" moment @o@' Had to guess, then panic, then PM starlightmuse and ask her to check whether all of my files made it safely to their server ^ ^' FYI they did ^_^/
Uploading just one .zip would be so much easier.. Heh. But maybe it is a technical thing that they prefer x files 1mb each.. or something ^ ^'
-- Editor found, group now completed ^_^ Thank you all! --

~ Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~
Ernest Gaines
Kiliana

Postby starlightmuse » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:27 pm

Uploading just one .zip would be so much easier.. Heh. But maybe it is a technical thing that they prefer x files 1mb each.. or something

I'm not the tech person who set up the uploader, but from what I understand the size limit is for the sake of our servers surviving -- or something like that >_<
starlightmuse
Site Admin

Postby starlightmuse » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:51 am

I've updated this for people with no upload section showing up. Please refer to first post.
starlightmuse
Site Admin

Postby Ishaan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:21 am

Hey starlight,

I've been trying to upload my typesetting test, but regardless of what file size/format I use, none of my files will upload. It keeps giving me an "invalid file" message, no matter what I do. I've checked both the format (.zip and .jpg both) and the size (under 1MB each), and tried the process on different browsers to no avail.

To make matters worse, my deadline is in an hour or so from the time of this post, so I'm not sure what to do. I sent you a PM via the forum on this subject yesterday, but looking at it now, it hasn't left my Outbox for some reason. I'm well and truly stumped. :(

Any ideas? Thanks a lot for your time!

Regards,

Ishaan
Ishaan

PreviousNext

Return to The Guild Guide