If you're having trouble uploading, please read!

Information on the Guild, along with Q&A.

Re: If you're having trouble uploading, please read!

Postby jennkei » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:48 am

I had no problem uploading. Did so in jpg since all of them were <1mb except for two, which I zipped. I was pretty :shock: at someone using MS Paint, but for anyone wanting Photoshop instructions, I guess..?

Image > Image Size > Under Document Size, change Resolution from 300 to 180 pixels/inch. (starlightmuse mentioned 180 dpi, but isn't that for printers? >.>) Then save as jpg, preferably in highest-quality. And if you're lazy, make an action for this/batch your files. =)
jennkei

Postby Kiliana » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:21 pm

jennkei wrote:I had no problem uploading. Did so in jpg since all of them were <1mb except for two, which I zipped. I was pretty :shock: at someone using MS Paint, but for anyone wanting Photoshop instructions, I guess..?

Image > Image Size > Under Document Size, change Resolution from 300 to 180 pixels/inch. (starlightmuse mentioned 180 dpi, but isn't that for printers? >.>) Then save as jpg, preferably in highest-quality. And if you're lazy, make an action for this/batch your files. =)

Isn't dot per inch and pixel per inch the same thing anyway? xD

And regarding Ms Paint.. :o I guess *twich* you could *twich* use it *twich* but.. It's really hard for me to see how it is possible to typeset using it. I dont use anything else except photoshop, so I don't have experience, but regardless - I dont see the merit of using it even if it is just for resizing the page :? .
And if you want a free software - isn't it best to just go with GIMP then? It's free, it's good and there are tons of guides/tutorials on internet on how to handle it ^_^/
-- Editor found, group now completed ^_^ Thank you all! --

~ Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~
Ernest Gaines
Kiliana

Postby something mundane » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:48 am

Just wondering, how are you meant to know that your test successfully got through? I read that some people got the message that it had ben uploaded, but my page still says "You have already started the editor test" Does this mean you didn't get it?
something mundane

Postby Kiliana » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:06 am

something mundane wrote:Just wondering, how are you meant to know that your test successfully got through? I read that some people got the message that it had ben uploaded, but my page still says "You have already started the editor test" Does this mean you didn't get it?

And by 'got through' you mean uploaded, or if you passed the test? If the former -> after you upload your file(s) you get message that says file XXX - upload succesful or something similar. Next, after a while (it was a few hours for me) the "You have already started the editor test" message changes to this: "You have completed the xxx test. Thank you. We will review your test and contact you shortly."

But if you meant the latter, then I have no good answer for you :cry: Other then that we all just have to suck it in, "stay put" and patiently wait for further information ^ ^"

Hope it helps ^_^/

~ Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~
Ernest Gaines
Kiliana

Postby jennkei » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:15 am

Kiliana wrote:
jennkei wrote:I had no problem uploading. Did so in jpg since all of them were <1mb except for two, which I zipped. I was pretty :shock: at someone using MS Paint, but for anyone wanting Photoshop instructions, I guess..?

Isn't dot per inch and pixel per inch the same thing anyway? xD

And regarding Ms Paint.. :o I guess *twich* you could *twich* use it *twich* but.. It's really hard for me to see how it is possible to typeset using it. I dont use anything else except photoshop, so I don't have experience, but regardless - I dont see the merit of using it even if it is just for resizing the page :? .
And if you want a free software - isn't it best to just go with GIMP then? It's free, it's good and there are tons of guides/tutorials on internet on how to handle it ^_^/

That's what I thought, but if you search dpi and ppi up, dpi is a term used for printers, while ppi is for monitors..

Yeah, I twitched when Paint was mentioned too, lol! A friend reminded me that it's a bit better in Windows 7, which I guess is true, but still, Photoshop hooray! Tried GIMP, still prefer PS. XD
jennkei

Postby Kiliana » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:36 am

jennkei wrote:That's what I thought, but if you search dpi and ppi up, dpi is a term used for printers, while ppi is for monitors..

Yeah, I twitched when Paint was mentioned too, lol! A friend reminded me that it's a bit better in Windows 7, which I guess is true, but still, Photoshop hooray! Tried GIMP, still prefer PS. XD

Heheheh ^ ^' Well in fact I am rolling now on win7 and I can't say that I see any improvments in Paint except new brushes and the fact that it all looks.. fancier :?

Maa.. there was a time that I used gimp as well. But it was long ago and besides ever since I started typesetting I did so using photoshop. Hm.. If I make it in I really hope that the program they will create for Guild to work in will use the same hotkeys setup as photoshop *__*'

Ernest Gaines
Kiliana

Postby trunkschan90 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:17 pm

I'm having trouble uploading my Typesetter test, it keeps saying invalid file. I've reduced the image size to 180 dpi and zipped the file, but it seems it's still too big. Does anybody know what I can do? (software used Photoshop CS2)
Thanks
trunkschan90

Postby Kiliana » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:15 pm

trunkschan90 wrote:I'm having trouble uploading my Typesetter test, it keeps saying invalid file. I've reduced the image size to 180 dpi and zipped the file, but it seems it's still too big. Does anybody know what I can do? (software used Photoshop CS2)
Thanks

Hm.. Make sure all the files are in .jpg format. After resizing the image to 180 dpi they all should be under 1mb each (which is upload limit for a single file). And when they all are under 1mb, there is no need to .zip them - just upload each .jpg separatly and that should work. Hope it helps ^_^/

Ernest Gaines
Kiliana

Postby darkdespair » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:10 am

jennkei wrote:Image > Image Size > Under Document Size, change Resolution from 300 to 180 pixels/inch. (starlightmuse mentioned 180 dpi, but isn't that for printers? >.>) Then save as jpg, preferably in highest-quality. And if you're lazy, make an action for this/batch your files. =)

Yes, dpi is for printers and scanners, anything to do with images really... DPI = dots per inch. Long story short, it's a nice way of controlling the quality of your images. Sometimes when you re-size alone it blurs the image. This is usually (but not always) due to trying to cram to many dots per inch.

As for using MSPaint... I agree, not sure how they did it. Though, I've heard rumors about people trying it, just never seen the results. :?: I'm actually curious to see them. I've seen people pull off some pretty cool things in MSPaint, when they have the time and patience... There was this one guy who drew a really detailed car on youtube with it once. :o Even watching the vid I can't imagine how he did it. :shock:

Personally, I'm too spoiled by photoshop to even think of doing anything in MSPaint. :lol: I'm actually a little nervous about this new program they're wanting everyone to use. :? Hopefully it'll work similar to photoshop. :D

DD
darkdespair

Postby Kiliana » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:48 am

darkdespair wrote:(...)As for using MSPaint... I agree, not sure how they did it. Though, I've heard rumors about people trying it, just never seen the results. :?: I'm actually curious to see them. I've seen people pull off some pretty cool things in MSPaint, when they have the time and patience... There was this one guy who drew a really detailed car on youtube with it once. :o Even watching the vid I can't imagine how he did it. :shock:

Well yeah, obviously if you are willing to put in it time and patience you could do some pretty good stuff even in paint. The question is not whether you can use it, but *why* should you use it at all? I mean, there's no point in using something so obviously inferior, when you have access to software that is just so SO much better for the job (and can be free as well). It's like counting every equation in your head instead of using calculator @_@'

darkdespair wrote:Personally, I'm too spoiled by photoshop to even think of doing anything in MSPaint. :lol: I'm actually a little nervous about this new program they're wanting everyone to use. :? Hopefully it'll work similar to photoshop. :D

Yeah, I mentioned this somewhere earlier as well ^_^ I mean the "similar to photoshop" part. Not that I would like for it to be a photoshop clone or something.. just.. don't know - hotkeys and maybe the general "feel" of interface? Although from the other side, even if the program is completly 'new', but well designed and straight - forward to use, it wouldn't be that much of an issue to get used to it ^_^

Ernest Gaines
Kiliana

PreviousNext

Return to The Guild Guide