If you're having trouble uploading, please read!

Information on the Guild, along with Q&A.

If you're having trouble uploading, please read!

Postby starlightmuse » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:38 pm

UPDATED February 9, 2011

If you are one of the few applicants who are having trouble uploading your test, and/or receiving an error message, please check first:

1. Are you uploading one file at time? One file being one jpeg.
2. Is your file under 1mb?

[NEW] You've finished your test, it's still within the time limit, but there's no upload section/button! Please try downloading your test again, and the uploader should appear.

If you are still having an error after this, I suggest trying another browser (this worked for someone else), asking HERE, checking the FAQ and other forums first. This will make it easier to answer everyone's questions at once. Thank you!
Last edited by starlightmuse on Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
starlightmuse
Site Admin

Re: If you're having trouble uploading, please read!

Postby Queien » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:21 pm

I'm having trouble uploading my editor test. The document is only 2 KB. I zipped it, since I saved it as a .rtf file, and I named both the document and the zipped folder exactly the same as the original folder and document that I received when I downloaded the test. However, the uploader wouldn't take it and told me that it was an invalid file.

I then changed the name of the zipped folder, thinking that maybe there was a filter on the uploader to keep people from submitting the unedited test as their edit. Still no good. I even used a different browser, but it still wouldn't go through. The two browsers I used were Chrome and Firefox. Any suggestions?

Edit: I've also tried using Internet Explorer. It's still not going through.
I am an editor in a group with Russesa (typesetter).

We're still looking for a translator.
Queien

Postby Scatterbrain » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:22 am

I have the same problem. I've tried with Chrome, Firefox and IE... and nothing worked.
Team Bardo:
Scatterbrain (Editor)
Charly_mza (Typesetter)
Hanabi_Sky (Translator)

GROUP COMPLETED!
Scatterbrain

Postby starlightmuse » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:03 pm

Are you guys uploading as zip files? Maybe try it unzipped, and upload the original file that way. Hope that works >__<
starlightmuse
Site Admin

Postby Queien » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:57 pm

I re-saved the file as a .doc and it worked. Thanks!
I am an editor in a group with Russesa (typesetter).

We're still looking for a translator.
Queien

Postby Seeshelle » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:10 pm

It won't work even with another browser, zipped, unzipped.
I am: Editor + Typesetter
Teamed with: 1 group
Seeking: translator
Seeshelle

Postby starlightmuse » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:24 pm

Seeshelle wrote:It won't work even with another browser, zipped, unzipped.

Could you PM me what OS you're using, and a walk-through of what you're doing. It's a little hard troubleshooting without more information.
starlightmuse
Site Admin

Postby Laurie » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:02 pm

I downloaded both the editor and typesetter tests, and when I later uploaded the editor test, both the editor and typesetter test categories said "You have completed the editor test". I just finished uploading the typesetter test pages, but my dashboard still says the same thing (Just "You have completed the editor test").

I think everything uploaded appropriately, since I didn't get any error messages. But since I also got no acknowledgment, I just wanted to make sure you got all my files. There should be one .doc for the editor test and 7 jpgs plus one .doc with notes on it for the typesetter test.

Thanks.

<edit> I forgot to mention too that my files were initially pretty huge, and since I don't know your standard for size I didn't want to resize very far down. I use GIMP for graphics, which doesn't have quite all the bells and whistles of Photoshop, and then I have a separate batch converter/resizer. It couldn't handle a few of the files though, so to get under 1 mb I ended up having to save at a lower quality than I might have otherwise preferred. So I apologize for the bit of blur on a couple of the images.
Laurie

Postby KouCross » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:51 pm

Yeah, I'm having a little trouble with the Typesetter uploading test.
Simply put, I finished the test...took me about 2 hours.
Everything is set and ready to go.
First time I tried to upload it gives me the error: "Invalid File."
So I check the file to make sure that I saved it in the correct format. I did, and tried again, time waiting for a little while...
And....
Same result.
After that, I just tried resizing the file because it turned out the file was about 1.42MB. I resized the image to 50% and got it down to 400KB, I sent it in...
Same result.
So then I just decided, to change the file type to .gif, instead...and...same problem.

At this point I'm not sure what else I can. :\

Update:
So, some of the files are going through...I'm not sure how, but I think I have a hunch...

Update 2:
Okay, I solved my problem.
And here's to anyone who used MS Paint:
"First, resize the image to 50%, make sure the text is legible at 100%. I'll leave the image cropping to you. At that point, you should have a 200-400KB file. That SHOULD work, but if it doesn't, try saving the file:
"Test1 (after)."
I'm not sure...but it worked for me when I took out certain words in the file name...
If someone can explain that to me, be my guest. :\
If it still doesn't work, I'm not sure what's wrong...anyways, all my files went through so...I'm going to bed now, and hoping for the best...
Never underestimate a Typesetter's job.
"All the pieces are in play...THIS IS MY VICTORY...!!!"
KouCross

Postby Fireangels » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:40 am

Okay, I was a bit confused at first since the description said we should crop but not resize and all of the pages were bigger than 1MB. But after reading these posts I guess resizing is no problem after all :)
Fireangels

Next

Return to The Guild Guide