Group Search: Don't have a group? Find one here.

Information on the Guild, along with Q&A.

Re: Group Search: Don't have a group? Find one here.

Postby mushroomery » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:58 pm

Hi everyone!

I just received the email saying I passed the translator test, so here I am! If anyone's looking for a translator, I'm available :) I don't have any preferences as to what works I want to translate, so I'm pretty open to all projects.

Short Bio:
I'm a college senior in New York, on my last semester. I've been taking Japanese classes for the past 4 years. I've done translations as a part of class assignments, and have translated a few doujinshi in my free time. Although I'll be a little busy with completing my senior projects, I'll always make time for manga, especially since translating is a fun hobby for me. My work ethic is good, I've never missed a deadline and I try my hardest to keep good relations with people I work with. On a side note, I work best with people who have a sense of humor ^_^

BL and yaoi have been among my favorite things for many years now, and I especially love contemplating crack pairings :D

Summary
Position: Translator
Title Preferences: None
Likes BL?: Yes
Work ethic: Excellent!

I can't think of anything else lol

So if you're looking for a translator, contact me :) This guild seems like it'll be an interesting experience~
Position: Translator

Group found!
mushroomery

Postby kotil » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:17 pm

Hallo, I go by 'Kotil' and I passed the test for both the editor and the typesetter. I don't particularly have a bio or anything but I can tell you I am very detail oriented. My work has to be visually pleasing and balanced (as much as possible). I like things done in an orderly and timely pace. In any case, if there are any groups out there looking for an editor or a typesetter, I am available~
kotil

Postby Arakis » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:35 pm

Greetings, folks. My name's Duane and I passed the translation test, but so far I haven't formed a group. I'm interested in forming one, but my situation is perhaps a bit unusual. I'm 34, and a professional translator. I've been working for Digital Manga on a freelance basis since 2003, and I currently also do freelance translation work for Media Blasters. The life of a freelancer is an unpredictable one, because there can be periods where work is scarce, but then there can be a wave of it that comes in, forcing me to choose only as many projects as I can handle.

Originally, I was hoping to work independently for the DMG much the same way I currently work for DMP. Having been informed that I'm required to join a group, though, I offer my services to whoever out there is interested. However, I'm afraid my limited availability is going to make this tricky.

The way I see it, I have two options. I can join a group of four (or more), where there is at least one other translator. That way, when I'm not available the other translator can keep the workflow going. However, I'm aware that we translators are the smallest pool of DMG members at the moment. Therefore this approach might not be feasible or fair to everyone else. Having more than three members is obviously going to make divvying out payment a more complicated matter too. I think this option is what I would prefer overall, despite the logistical challenges.

The other option is, I can get together with a group who, due to limited availability on their parts or whatever reason, is only interested in producing the minimum required number of books a year. I'm sure I could arrange my schedule to facilitate that much at least. And hey, if it turns out we have time for more than the minimum number, that's great too.

Sorry to add so many stipulations to my offer, but like I said that's just how it goes in the freelance world. I'm sure you understand that I need to prioritize standard projects over DMG projects, but the guild is still something that intrigues me and I'd like to get onboard now at the start even if it's just in a limited capacity. If anyone is interested in forming a group with me, please send me a forum private message.
Arakis

Postby jsmcnally22 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:15 pm

Hello, i posted early on in this forum so not many people may have seen it so I'll just reiterate what i said here.

I've applied and passed the test for the Editor job.

I am currently unassociated with any group for the moment and therefore am looking for one.

I love manga, so much so that i currently have a collection of over 450 books. My favorite genres tend to be geared towards occult and romantic comedy.

For those who are interested in accepting me into their group, just PM me here OR (and i prefer) contact me via AIM (bnl011884) or email (jsmcnally22@gmail.com).
My Group::>
Editor: Me, jsmcnally22 jsmcnally22@gmail.com
Typesetter: AVAILABLE
Translator: AVAILABLE
jsmcnally22

Postby windy90 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Konnichi wa,

My name is Lei Abbott. I passed the editing test so anybody looking for an editor please contact me. I'm a senior at BYU. My major is Linguistics and my minors are editing and Japanese. I'm almost done with school which means that I have a lot of time on my hands. So, I can help out a lot, especially when it comes to manga.

I prefer to do more shoujo and shonen kind of work. I will do seinen and Josei if they're not too graphic. I will do any category as long as it's not too graphic.

I like to read manga and try to draw it too. I like to watch anime and japanese dramas. I'm still learning Japanese too. I'm really excited for this guild because I've been dying to read manga again. (Having to go to the store and browse the comics proved too much effort and gas.)

Hope to hear back from someone soon! :D :lol:
windy90

Postby Azira » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:09 pm

Hello! I am one of the score of freshly-passed editors looking for a group!

I love to pick apart and piece together sentences--it's part of my love for language. I've taken courses on linguistics and semantics in the past, and have some experience with editing various texts. I also have about an intermediate level of knowledge of Japanese grammar and structure, so I know where certain translations are coming from. I've never worked on manga before as I don't have the skills to translate, but I'm really excited to learn how to apply my skills to a new medium!

I'm also a very willing and flexible group member. I am great at following instructions or taking the reins, depending on what the situation calls for. I'm also very easy to keep in touch with since I spend most of my free time on the computer (office chair potato!). And most importantly, I look forward to being friends with my future group members.

Some of my interests are games, food, drawing, and, as mentioned previously, linguistics. Of course I like manga too, and I'm especially interested in BL/yaoi because I'm a big ol' pervert. If that is okay with you and you are a group or individual looking to snag yourself an editor, go ahead and message me! Otherwise I will be lonely and sad.
Editor still looking for a group!
Email: REBDKatsuya[at]gmail.com
Azira

Postby xanderion » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:14 pm

Hello,

I'm not an English-speaking native but I took the editor and typesetter tests. Since DMG message didn't specify which test I succeeded at (or if I succeeded at both), I prefer to offer my services just as a typesetter. But if the main editor of a group needs help to wrap up some work, I can give a hand in editing.

I read every genre though I have a soft spot for BL. I also like a lot mainstream romances, comedies or fantasy genre. Those are just my personal preferences but I'm open to work on any genre.

I don't have much experience as I've only done a couple of private scanlations. I'm rather meticulous, trying to do my best. So I think I'm a reliable and dedicated workmate. And honest. If there is a conflict, I need people I can talk through the matters amicably to surmount our problems. But don't worry, I'm rather easy to get along with.

I'd like to work on as many projects as I can so if one or more groups need a typesetter, just PM me.
Team: Kaedama Translations
Translators/Editors: tarocake & Zama
Typesetter: me
xanderion

Postby Jessamine » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:40 pm

Hello,

My name is Jasmin. I just passed the editor test and I'm looking to form a group/join one. I'm 20 years old, a junior at Arizona State University, and an English Literature major.
I have no experience as an editor for a scanlation group, but I have won two awards for writing in 2008: the Bardshaw-Bordwell Award from the high school I attended and Tokyopop's Rising Star of Fiction Contest. I have two years of Creative Writing classes with good reviews under my belt as well, so I have advanced to intermediate level English grammar and writing skills.
I always turn in work on time, I check my emails everyday so there will be no lag in communication, and I'm always open to suggestions and critiques of my work. Especially now considering how tricky the Japanese language can be.

If you haven't already formed a group or you're a group that needs an editor and if you are interested in working with me please pm or email me at ruby123098@hotmail.com.
Editor: Me
Typesetters: BlackNightButterfly, Elrohon
Translators: KaionIriu, covarla
Jessamine

Postby tarocake » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:48 pm

Hello,
I am forming a group with another translator/editor and we are looking for a typesetter. We have worked together in the past on translations and have passed the translation and editor tests.

We are looking for someone with some experience in typesetting with an artistic background, but are open to anyone if you have some impressive samples to show us. I am fairly new to translation but my partner has been doing it for over a year and we both have many years of formal Japanese language training from college and study abroad. My partner is open to BL and most other genres and I am open to all genres but my favorite is slice-of-life/comedy.

Please PM me if you're interested in being our typesetter.
tarocake

Postby probably_imaginary » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:11 pm

Hi,
I passed the editor's test and am looking to join a group. If anyone needs an editor then pm and I'll be happy to join. :D
probably_imaginary

PreviousNext

Return to The Guild Guide