Working FAQ and Information

Information on the Guild, along with Q&A.

Working FAQ and Information

Postby starlightmuse » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:33 am

Updated March 24, 2011 - items updated highlighted in blue

Please keep in mind that the Guild is still an evolving initiative; we will post new information as it becomes available. We still want to hear your thoughts, questions and comments, so keep it coming! We did our best to answer everyone's questions, but if you still have any doubts, ask away. We are also working on keeping a close relationship with everyone involved, more news on that will be forthcoming.

For an insider's take on DMG, please refer to: http://mangabookshelf.com/?s=manga+guild
Melinda Beasi has kindly offered to blog about her experience.

POSITIONS
Here is a definition of each role/position available. All three roles must be filled in order to form a group.

Editor: Proofreading the translations, rewriting if necessary to make sentences sound more natural, slang that may be more appropriate for English, grammar and spelling. This role will also double as "quality checker", to look over lettered pages to make sure no sound effects or translations are missing, and everything is ready to go.

Letterer/Typesetter: Making sure pages are clean of Japanese text and dust, and rotating pages. Putting translated text in with appropriate font, changing font sizes and type when necessary.

Translator: Translating from Japanese to English, making dialogue and text as close to the original as possible but still sounding natural in English.

GENERAL

Q. Do I have to use my real name to register? Can I use an alias?
A. If you would like to get paid, then yes, we need your real name. We need this not just for payment purposes, but also for taxes. As long as we have your real information, you can use an alias in the credits if you wish to keep your identity private.

Q. Will my affiliation with scanlation groups hurt me?
A. No. We are looking to recruit localizers, people who have skills and want to be part of our community. We are not concerned with whether or not you may have scanlated before, that is your business with what you do on your own time.

Q. Do we have to submit a sample web link of work?
A. No, we have a test that everyone must take in order to join.

Q. On the Terms of Conditions, what does this line mean: "Registrant agrees all information provided is correct and all future work provided will be free of Copyright infringement."?
A. This guarantees that any *future* work done with the Digital Manga Guild is free of copyright infringement; meaning you can work on a title without worry of it being illegal.

Q. How soon will I receive a reply of acceptance or rejection after I register/send in my test?
A. If you applied before January 30, 2011, then you should have received an acceptance letter by now. Please check your spam box just in case, otherwise PM me. Some acceptance letters did not reach everyone. For applicants after January 30, please be patient, we plan to notify you within a month or so via email. Please be patient if you don't hear from us, we WILL eventually get to you.

Q. What genres will be offered?
A. Currently we are planning to start off with mainly yaoi titles, but eventually we will add more mainstream genres like shoujo and shounen.

Q. Who are the six publishers?
A. At this time we are not able to name any publisher publicly. We will announce this once we are able to.

Q. Are there deadlines, and how long can I take to work on one title?
A. There will be deadlines, the actual time length will be announced at a later date. There will be bonuses and advantages to finishing more than the minimum.

Q. Will I be able to choose which set (package of titles) I want to work on?
A. At the moment, we are hoping to offer a few different sets as a choice to you. We are also trying to make it fair for groups, by having a variety of quality titles in each set. This should help average out the potential sharing revenue, and no one group will have the advantage of only best-selling titles.

Q. How many books will we have to complete within a year?
A. There is not final number yet, but there will be a minimum number of books you must complete within a year (estimating at 3-5). We will not be requiring you to finish 5-6 books within a month, but please remember the more output you give the more income you'll get.

Q. Will I have any input on how DMG/the DMG platform/program is made?
A. The program we were working on unfortunately has gone back to stage 1. Therefore, it's back to the "old fashioned" way of editing, translating, and typesetting via your program of choice (i.e. Photoshop, Word, etc).

Q. Will the titles that are popular enough to be published get printed in it's own imprint or a Digital Manga imprint?
A. This is still mostly under discussion, be we are planning to give each publisher that joins their own label.

Q. How contractually bound will I be to finish a title? What if something happens and I can't be a part of DMG anymore?
A. We want the Guild to be a helpful and open community, so in the event that a member or group can't finish their work, they find another group to take over. We are working on the details.

PAYMENT

Q. How much are we going to get paid?
A. The Guild is still evolving, terms of payment will be announced at a later date. As of the February 2011 teleconference, our President has stated 10-12% revenue share for the localizers. These numbers are not final. Again as a reminder, all revenue will be sales based, not on the amount of hours put in. Please also keep in mind that the revenue might not be much at first, but it will grow. Revenue sharing is also what will make the Guild possible, and that sharing the risk also means sharing the potential reward. Payment will not only come from emanga.com, but also all of our other digital platforms and potentially print.

Q. Will we be getting taxed or receiving 1099 forms on what we earn? Who will be receiving the tax forms?
A. We are currently discussing this issue.

Q. What if only 3 people in a group of 10 do the work? Or one person does all 3 jobs -- does everyone get paid, or just the people who did the work?
A. We are working this out at the moment.

Q. What if the group representative doesn't properly pay everyone or runs off with the money?
A. We are currently discussing this issue, but we plan to have payment and royalties as transparent as possible for every group members.

Q. What if a payment cannot be split evenly?
A. That will be for the group to decide through their own percentage. This will be fully answered soon.

GROUPS

Q. Can I change the position I applied for? Can I apply for more than one position?
A. Yes. You can work multiple positions or change positions. If you already applied and would like to change or add positions, feel free to do so by logging back in.

Q. Can one group member work in other groups?
A. Yes, you can join as many other groups as you like.

Q. Does one group *have* to consist of 3 members?
A. No, it can have more or less. As long as there is someone to fulfill each role, then it could be as little as 1 or more.

Q. I have formed a group, and we all passed the test. What now?
A. We're ready for you to let us know! Please DON''T PM ME, but instead fill out the info under the Dashboard menu "Form Your Group" when you're logged into your account.

Q. Do I have control over who I work with, and will you be forming these groups?
A. We are hoping that everyone will join in on the community and create their own group. Yes, it will make it easier for us, but it also gives you control over who you work with and find a suitable match. We will not be taking part in forming groups in any way.

Q. What about the "groupless" people, as the numbers per position is not even?
A. We truly want the Guild to be a group and community initiative, so it will be up to you on finding your own group or joining another as a secondary or third.

LETTERERS

Q. What are the quality of the images that I will have to work on?
A. As this is still early, we cannot give a final answer. The quality will vary, it will be best to know how to both retouch and letter.

Q. Can I use Photoshop or a program of my choice?
A. As stated in an earlier answer, the platform we were hoping to create has gone back to stage 1. You can use any program of your choice as long as you can produce quality work.

TRANSLATORS

Q. Can I translate from English to another language?
A. Unfortunately, no. We want to keep the translation as pure as possible, so we are only looking for Japanese to "x-language" translators.

Q. Is there a test yet for a language other than English?
A. We're working on it. For now, we are mainly focusing on English.

TEST RESULTS/THE NEXT STEP

Q. What does it mean if the email says I qualify for a second test?
A. Exactly that, your skills weren't good enough to pass the first test, but we see a lot of potential and want to give you a second chance with a second test. This second test should hopefully be available within the month of March.

Q. I got my acceptance email and I took more than one test. Which position is it for?
A. It's for every position that you sent your test in for. The same goes for a group, if a group leader receives in email it's in regards to everyone.

Q. What do we do next after we've formed a group?
A. We are working on the agreement form, and should have that ready shortly. As stated above, please fill out the necessary info under the Dashboard menu "Form Your Group" when you're logged in so we know how many groups are out there.

Q. When do we get to start working on a project?
A. We are hoping to launch by spring or early summer 2011. So far we have received 200 titles from a publisher, so it's starting to become a reality. We've selected a small number of groups to help us work out any potential problems with DMG, so we will keep you all updated. Like any work, there will be times there will be a lot to do or very little. So please prepare yourself for potentially having little to do for some time.

Q: Could you please outline what's happening next?
A. Right now we are working on the agreement forms, and ironing out many issues that have so far been unanswered. Once that's ready, we will move forward with the beta groups to further work out any kinks DMG might have. After that, we hope to have an early summer launch (or earlier).
Last edited by starlightmuse on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
starlightmuse
Site Admin

Re: Working FAQ and Information

Postby starlightmuse » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:36 pm

Finally able to update this darn thing, if there are any questions unanswered please ask in the Questions thread. Thanks!
starlightmuse
Site Admin

Re: Working FAQ and Information

Postby starlightmuse » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:53 am

Updated FAQ concerning February teleconference. Further questions please ask in Question thread...
starlightmuse
Site Admin

Return to The Guild Guide