Questions?

Information on the Guild, along with Q&A.

Re: Questions?

Postby izanagi » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:25 pm

SoubixLoveless wrote:Also, on the first page of the manga editing test there is an untranslated SFX - I'm sure it's of little importance, since it was not listed.

Yeah people talked about it on the Tests thread. I'm not sure, but I got t he impression we were supposed to fix it '______';;

This is fine; I was very confused about the uploading since both parts were EDITOR. Haha. Did anyone else notice the typo on the main page when they explain what to do?

Yup, scroll up >w<;;

I accidentally forgot to change a word on the editing test, so I re-uploaded.... I hope they ignore the first one ;o;! <3

I had to reupload too! I hope they ignore the old ones also (=`v'=;; )>
izanagi

Postby blkingston » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:30 pm

izanagi wrote:Also in the translating and typesetting tests there seems to be no reference to the editing stage, which is kind of confusing. I'd guess that this situation is only because there is no actual translator/editor (for the test purposes), but I wish we could have been given some other kind of error instead... Then again, it's hard to think of an error that wouldn't require checking with the editor unless it were a typo or spelling error (speaking of which...).

Yeah, it's weird getting used to the terms the Guild use. Even 'scanlation' seems like a dirty word. 'Localizer' just doesn't sound the same :lol: And I think DMG use 'editing' to refer to translations while scanlation groups use 'editing' for images, which is confusing too.

For the lettering test, I assumed the script has already been vetted by an editor/rewriter. So that was another reason I was reluctant to start messing with the script on my own - I didn't feel it was my role.

Now I'm wondering whether I should submit a text file as part of the lettering test telling them of the 'errors' I found. After all, that's what I'd normally do if I were doing this for a group. But maybe that would just clog up their servers even more :?
blkingston

Postby izanagi » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:20 pm

blkingston wrote:
izanagi wrote:Also in the translating and typesetting tests there seems to be no reference to the editing stage, which is kind of confusing. I'd guess that this situation is only because there is no actual translator/editor (for the test purposes), but I wish we could have been given some other kind of error instead... Then again, it's hard to think of an error that wouldn't require checking with the editor unless it were a typo or spelling error (speaking of which...).

Yeah, it's weird getting used to the terms the Guild use. Even 'scanlation' seems like a dirty word. 'Localizer' just doesn't sound the same :lol: And I think DMG use 'editing' to refer to translations while scanlation groups use 'editing' for images, which is confusing too.

For the lettering test, I assumed the script has already been vetted by an editor/rewriter. So that was another reason I was reluctant to start messing with the script on my own - I didn't feel it was my role.

Now I'm wondering whether I should submit a text file as part of the lettering test telling them of the 'errors' I found. After all, that's what I'd normally do if I were doing this for a group. But maybe that would just clog up their servers even more :?

Yeah, mine had "transcheckers", and I think the "editors" looked over the full scanlation although I'm not sure... From looking at Tokyopop volumes I know what DMG means by editors, although I think some others like Viz skip that all together. I wonder how that works when the translators are fluent. Oh well! Editing seems fun ^_____^

Yeah, for the script I just fixed the one typo but normally I'd ask the translator or editor if I saw a discrepancy with the original.

I did upload a "note file" (well more than one since I ended up doing a reupload) with some of the questions I ran into since, because we don't have a translator or editor to talk to some of the choices are unclear ^____^)>
izanagi

Postby starlightmuse » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:25 pm

blkingston wrote:

I'm about to leave for the weekend, but please everyone, you're over thinking this. The test is well...a test. It's not a reflection of how things will work once we get the platform up and going. In the near future, we will want everyone to work together as team, however they see fit, and to communicate and ask questions if you've got it. I apologize if the "error" was confusing, but please just do your best.

Outside of the scanlation world, "editing" refers to actually proofreading blocks of text in some shape or way. Lettering or typesetting would be the actual term. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not just the Guild using these terms. And we're not trying to make scanlation a dirty word, it's just that scanlating has a connotation and well, a place. Here, we're not just hiring people who used to scanlate, we're looking for actual beginners and pros who have never done that before. Also, while we don't condone scanlating, we are also stressing the fact that we're not looking to hunt you down.

I hope that makes things clearer for everyone. Now please, just take the test :D
starlightmuse
Site Admin

Postby izanagi » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:35 pm

I think we both already took the tests but are waiting for our results >w`<;; Thanks to Tokyopop I understand the corporate translator-editor-letterer model, but was confused because of the letterer/translator test descriptions. Also, your responses in regards to scanlations have always been courteous and polite so I hope I didn't give you that impression. Sorry for any mischief or grief I caused >___<;;)> Have a great weekend~
izanagi

Postby SoubixLoveless » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:39 am

Don't worry - test completed!

(I hope they ignore old uploads too, hehe.) That aside, thank you and good luck everyone :)
STEAMY SIDE PRODUCTIONS:
All positions filled! -happy dance-
SoubixLoveless

Postby Wolfy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:01 am

I just finished and sent the editor and typesetter test. It was fun :)
How and when will we know if we are hired or not?
Wolfy

Postby amplexicaule » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:29 pm

blkingston wrote:Now I'm wondering whether I should submit a text file as part of the lettering test telling them of the 'errors' I found. After all, that's what I'd normally do if I were doing this for a group. But maybe that would just clog up their servers even more :?

I've been wondering about this myself. I'm hoping that as long as we make it obvious that we noticed the error in the way we deal with it, it won't really matter whether we decide to follow the editor's script to the letter or take it upon ourselves to fix the mistakes. I felt uncomfortable translating the "えー" myself, so where in a real situation I'd definitely ask the editor about it, in this test situation I edited out the Japanese sound effects so they'd know I had noticed the mistake and had the skill level to do that if I had to for some reason (although I'd be the first to put my foot down if someone in my group wanted to edit anything out, even something as small as a sound effect.)
amplexicaule

Postby Kiliana » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:37 pm

Wolfy wrote:I just finished and sent the editor and typesetter test. It was fun :)

Everything, as you can see, is very vogue at the moment. It might take a while, since I'm thinking that this event got quite big attention. Anyway - at the moment there is no date, or deadline of any sorts set - we just have to be patient and stay put I guess ^_^*
And regarding 'how' - after you upload your test you get this message "You have completed the ..... test. Thank you. We will review your test and contact you shortly.", right? So I presume they will contact everyone through email with a message like "you're in :D /you're out :evil: " ^ ^'
-- Editor found, group now completed ^_^ Thank you all! --

~ Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~
Ernest Gaines
Kiliana

Postby izanagi » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Kiliana wrote:
Wolfy wrote:I just finished and sent the editor and typesetter test. It was fun :)

Everything, as you can see, is very vogue at the moment. It might take a while, since I'm thinking that this event got quite big attention. Anyway - at the moment there is no date, or deadline of any sorts set - we just have to be patient and stay put I guess ^_^*
And regarding 'how' - after you upload your test you get this message "You have completed the ..... test. Thank you. We will review your test and contact you shortly.", right? So I presume they will contact everyone through email with a message like "you're in :D /you're out :evil: " ^ ^'

I hope they don't send us devil faces if we're out, ha ha ^____^)>
izanagi

PreviousNext

Return to The Guild Guide