Questions?

Information on the Guild, along with Q&A.

Re: Questions?

Postby hanamaru06 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:07 am

Just checking but, if we formed a group via the "looking for members" thread here, do we have to reregister as a group? Because I'm pretty sure each of us registered individually, wondering if it makes a difference.

Thanks xD
hanamaru06

Postby blkingston » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:18 am

Riven wrote:I'm working on the lettering test and I have a question regarding page 7. In the English translation provided, there is the addition of a sound effect that does not exist in Japanese on the page. (Dash).

This is a great question for the Test thread. I actually put the Dash in...but maybe I shouldn't have done that :(

In the Test thread, someone mentions that a sfx is missing on the first page. I just deleted it, but maybe I should've taken the initiative to insert something there. Hmm...

I wonder if letterers are supposed to make any corrections in the script. I remember working for a group that was paranoid about leaving the script as is - no changes at all. I just assumed the Guild would be equally strict. Some translators get really upset when you mess with their script!
blkingston

Postby starlightmuse » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:15 pm

hanamaru06 wrote:Just checking but, if we formed a group via the "looking for members" thread here, do we have to reregister as a group? Because I'm pretty sure each of us registered individually, wondering if it makes a difference.

Thanks xD

I've adjusted the Group Search page to reflect what to do next. First, congrats! Second:
- Choose one group member to be the main point of contact.
- PM me the email you registered with, your group name, and whether or not you would still like to be contacted by other members to join your group.

We'll be manually adjusting this until we eventually get an actual page up for you to do this yourself. Thanks!
starlightmuse
Site Admin

Postby starlightmuse » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:16 pm

blkingston wrote:I wonder if letterers are supposed to make any corrections in the script. I remember working for a group that was paranoid about leaving the script as is - no changes at all. I just assumed the Guild would be equally strict. Some translators get really upset when you mess with their script!

Hint: Do what you think is best.
The test reflects how a translation isn't always perfect, and it depends on the letterer to decide what to do...
starlightmuse
Site Admin

Postby stlwright » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:33 pm

Jumpin da gun here. For those of us who have completed da test when will we receive results? Does it get reviewed rite away or after the three days?
akasha2003 - Typesetter
trunkschan90 - Typesetter
angelzash - Editor
Chilli - Editor
mushroomery - Translator
stlwright - Translator

http://twitter.com/#!/BoyPassionDMG

*Group closed*
stlwright

Postby amplexicaule » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:17 pm

I have a few quick questions about the typesetter test.

On the first page, the shading and coloring of the legs get cut off at the bottom of the page, but the line art is still there crystal clear. Is this how the original manga is, or should this be corrected, and if so, is it better to crop it or do my best to fill in the missing shading?
Along similar lines and on the same page, in the first panel the background texture persists on to one of the girl's faces. Is this also a mistake or should I leave it be?
Thank you!
amplexicaule

Postby Ikichi » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:47 am

Would I be able to send the test in RTF format? Since .txt doesn't look that great.
Ikichi

Postby jennkei » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:50 am

Not the last time I tried. :( They might have changed it since then... You can use .doc, though.
jennkei

Postby starlightmuse » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:48 am

Ikichi wrote:Would I be able to send the test in RTF format? Since .txt doesn't look that great.

.rtf is supposed to work too, we accept .txt and .doc files. For some reason certain file types are not uploading, we can't figure out why. Just keep trying everyone! >_<
starlightmuse
Site Admin

Postby izanagi » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:16 pm

Riven:
That bothered me too 3__3 Normally I would ask the translator/editor, right?

amplexicaule:
It's called a bleed. (I hope I'm allowed to say this? I saw a comment on another thread about 'mistakes the manga-ka would not knowingly leave in'; I couldn't see these myself... I hope they referred to the bleed also... =__=)

When printing, you can't simply print to the edge of a sheet (I guess for accuracy reasons? I don't know...) so what printers do is print a page with more information than will show up in the final, for example extending borders or hair, tones, etc. a certain measurement longer than will show up in the final (while important things, such as faces or dialogue would not be included in this bleed area). In other words, there is a margin of stuff that needs to be printed around the final image, which will eventually be chopped off. So when drawing, the manga-ka needs to compensate for this bleed area, which is what you are referring to. For example, if you were to publish a 4x4 sized book, then you might draw on 4.2x4.2 paper, with any drawings you want to go to the edges of the paper all the way to the edge of the larger paper. Then after your drawings are printed, the publisher would chop .1 off all the sides of the pages.

I hope this makes sense ^-^;; or at least my sketch does =___=

I would guess that some of this bleed margin would need to be included in the finals but that cropping as if it were published (or what you might see in a scanlation, digital manga, etc., or like the emanga samples) is something you need to take into consideration for the test. Or at least that's what I did *___*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
izanagi

PreviousNext

Return to The Guild Guide