Questions?

Information on the Guild, along with Q&A.

Re: Questions?

Postby TropicanaTina » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:34 pm

Sorry for using TOWFL as a case study, Shroud. It would be nice if we got figures for DMG as a whole. Then we could just divide by the number of books to get an average so we aren't misled by a title that's more popular or less popular than others. Technically, the data would need to be a little more complicated than that since some have been up longer than others, but I believe Love & Trap will be up for a month by the next video conference so that would make 6 books that we could look at for first-month sales. I'm not sure how many have had a full second-month so far. I'm especially interested in the long-term sales because I'm perfectly happy with a trickle as long as it eventually totals up to something comparable to other freelance work. And honestly, the royalties percentage isn't bad at all, so with decent sales, everything will be great. I've done freelance editing where I just get paid for the project without any royalties at all, and I've been offered lower royalties for other work. But I know the print runs for those books, and I know that a certain amount of sales are almost guaranteed. So with that info, I know what minimum amount I'm likely to get in the end. Here it's really up in the air, but there are also exciting properties of this, like how there's no finite print run that can run out. I'm still very hopeful about the Guild, but the sooner groups can follow their sales and the sooner we all are given some general statistics, the better.
TropicanaTina

Postby Shroud » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:40 am

No need to apologise. I do understand that with TOWFL being the first one out, it pretty much HAS to be the current source of data, and the others that followed will get factored in once enough time has passed. It just feels WEIRD 'cuz it's me IYKWIM. If it was someone else's I'd be just as nosy! :oops: :lol:

Thanks, chirechan. I'm hoping that all the other titles see decent sales too. Hopefully all our currently released stuff will hit Kindle and Nook in time for Christmas and all the fans out there getting gift cards and new ereaders will buy ;)
Group: Kawaii Neko
Group status: it's always been complete
Not taking applications
Shroud

Postby payang » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:35 pm

My question is in regards to the latest DMG Update about eManga and free e-comps of our works. I already have an eManga account, so I was wondering if there's a chance I could just get it on that account rather than a whole separate account (which I know would be easier for you guys to set up, considering it's the same user/pass as the forums here)...but I'm not sure I'd like two eManga accounts.

Not that it pertains to me just yet, but for future reference, I guess.
"Jump start my heart and wake the sleeper inside" -Ignition (by TobyMac)
payang

Postby crayon » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:46 pm

@payang

YES. If you ALREADY have an emanga.com account, you may use that for your free e-comp copy.
Forum's username&pass was just my suggestion to those who do NOT have one.

crayon
crayon

Postby RDLeviton » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:48 pm

On my account dashboard it is telling me to fill out the Digital Manga Agreement Form. It says there is a link to it on the page, but I don't see one. Am I only going to have access to that form after I receive a confirmation email of my registration?

Also the translator test is confusing me. The instructions say things about putting the SFX in the right panel, etc., but I don't see any panel. I just see a page with a list of sentences in Japanese. I can translate those to English without a problem, but I feel like I'm missing something. Am I?
RDLeviton

Postby hanged_man » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:11 pm

@RDLeviton

The link to the DMG Agreement form will only appear in the dashboard after you are given a passing grade on whichever test(s) you've submitted. It's a way to keep the information private and reduce the amount paperwork in general (because only those who need to are filling it out). Also, if I'm not mistaken, the instructions for the translator test tell you not to put the dialogue and SFX in the right place, but to make it clear in your transcript where the dialogue and SFX go. Consider that they aren't just testing your ability to translate, but make that translation intelligible to someone else (this includes formatting) because of the way the group system works.
So no worries, you aren't missing anything. Hope that helps & Gl.
wer keine fremdsprache kennt, weiß nichts von seiner eigenen. [goethe]
hanged_man

Postby NarikoD » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:38 am

Hello!

I uploaded my editor's test back in December around the 17th or 18th, but haven't gotten my results back. I sent an email a couple of weeks ago asking about my test results but received no reply, so I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to do now. Was there another step I was supposed to take after uploading my test that I somehow missed or am I supposed to continue waiting for a bit longer? I thought the wait time was about a month, though, so that's why I'm hoping someone can help me out here.
NarikoD

Postby hanged_man » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:16 am

You haven't missed anything. The wait time is about a month, but have you checked your results in the dashboard? If it says "Pass" next to either the first or second test, then you should be able to download the DMG Agreement from the sidebar. If not (and I know this isn't the answer anyone wants), I would wait more. DMG seems to be backlogged on e-mail communication (poor Crayon is really busy...), but there are other people (in or outside of) the forums you can contact if you're especially concerned.
Hope that helps & Gl.
wer keine fremdsprache kennt, weiß nichts von seiner eigenen. [goethe]
hanged_man

Postby Avid Reader » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:34 pm

I'm not sure if this has been asked somewhere; but what is the average turnaround time between submitting a completed project and having it on the market? (This is primarily out of curiosity about the production process.) Thanks!
Avid Reader

Postby ZepysGirl » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:38 pm

Not sure if it'll help much for reference, but for our only published title so far: we turned it in on Jan 15, then saw it up for sale on eManga by Feb 1.
I am: Typesetter and Group Leader for PURPLE PROSE KILLERS
Teamed with: zhelenstilo, RealizeMu, and dorrie6
ZepysGirl

PreviousNext

Return to The Guild Guide