Questions?

Information on the Guild, along with Q&A.

Re: Questions?

Postby Milky » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:09 pm

@Milky—the test was just sent out last night, so I don't think any of us posting there have already passed anything. We're just getting a head start on things.

@lys, thank you for your comment. I was kinda shocked to see people start recruiting for team mate, because I thought that all those people there might have already passed the test!! haha
Milky

Postby izanagi » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:25 pm

I'd like to second the question about work samples. If we do have past work to submit but it's scanlation work, should we submit it? I saw something mentioned in the FAQ about not minding whether we've done or do such work, but not on whether we should submit it as "samples".
izanagi

Postby blkingston » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:09 am

izanagi wrote:I'd like to second the question about work samples. If we do have past work to submit but it's scanlation work, should we submit it? I saw something mentioned in the FAQ about not minding whether we've done or do such work, but not on whether we should submit it as "samples".

Anyone can register and start doing the various tests right away. You don't have to submit any samples if you don't want to.

So feel free to register, then sign in and start the tests.
blkingston

Postby Scatterbrain » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:59 am

I have one question regarding edition exam... Would you submit that exam Spanish also?
Team Bardo:
Scatterbrain (Editor)
Charly_mza (Typesetter)
Hanabi_Sky (Translator)

GROUP COMPLETED!
Scatterbrain

Re: Taking the Typesetter/Retoucher Test & Have a Question ^_^

Postby starlightmuse » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:33 am

For the unanswered questions, I'll try to get back to you guys within the week (even I don't know everything yet!). Here's what I can answer for now:

Truanifan678 wrote:I'm taking the test for typesetter/retoucher and I have a minor question related to the retouch process that I'd like to ask. Do I PM somebody or do I just ask it in a new topic?

You can PM me or ask in the Test thread ^_^

Scatterbrain wrote:I have one question regarding edition exam... Would you submit that exam Spanish also?

Are you asking if we have a Spanish translation for the editing position? We're working on it, right now we're mainly focused on English.

Jennatar wrote:Also, as far as credits go, is it possible to use an alias? I would give DMP my real identity, but I'm not sure if I want anyone who googles my name (ie, my professional coworkers) to bring up a list of BL titles. Can we be credited under an alias, with only DMP knowing our real identity

I completely understand wanting an alias, and I don't see why you wouldn't be able to work under a pen name. I will see about getting this worked into the DMG.

And as blkingston pointed out, you no longer have to submit samples of any kind. Just take the test! If you get an error message of any kind, please PM me or ask in the Test thread -- we're working out minor kinks as people come across them. Nothing's perfect yet >_<
starlightmuse
Site Admin

Postby Gumbo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:25 pm

How contractually bound will we be to complete a project? In other words, if we pass the test and start working on a package (which appears to have several tankubons), but then something happens in our lives that takes away the free time we planned to use to work on any given part, are we contractually bound to finish the package we started before we can quit or can we quit at any time?
Gumbo

Postby Gumbo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:32 pm

Also, how will income taxes be handled for those of us in the US? Will we be getting 1099 forms each year for the income earned, etc.?

Apologies if that was already asked. I tried looking through all the questions and didn't initially see it.
Gumbo

Postby izanagi » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:24 pm

Well what I meant was should we not submit them? I know we don't /have/ to, but thank you for your quick reply.

Yay for pen names! I'm glad someone asked ^-^
izanagi

Postby starlightmuse » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:44 pm

izanagi wrote:Well what I meant was should we not submit them? I know we don't /have/ to, but thank you for your quick reply.

Ah, I see. If you want to submit your work, then by all means. It can be any lettered work from anywhere.
starlightmuse
Site Admin

Postby Riven » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:59 pm

Hello,
I'm working on the lettering test and I have a question regarding page 7. In the English translation provided, there is the addition of a sound effect that does not exist in Japanese on the page. (Dash). I do not know that I should add lettering for something that doesn't exist, and if I should, where I should place that SFX because it isn't on the page to begin with to be replaced. Is the existence of this sound effect in the translation a mistake or is it added to make the situation more understandable in English? Should I just add it in anyways? Thanks in advance.
Riven

PreviousNext

Return to The Guild Guide