Makoto Tateno

Talk about anything Yaoi here.

Makoto Tateno

Postby yellow dancer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:50 am

I recently saw Hate To Love You on sale. Since the mangka is among my favorites, I had to purchase the manga and add it to my growing Makoto Tateno collection.
yellow dancer

Re: Makoto Tateno

Postby Lady Kakata » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:27 pm

Hate to Love You has been out for a while now, I bought it a long time ago.

(Isn't the breaking of the coin sweet?)
: [ Huge RP Board. JOIN TODAY! ] :
Lady Kakata

Postby yellow dancer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:49 pm

I am slow to the online shopping thing. I still prefer to walk into a store. Yes, I believe it was printed in 2007. I am behind in my collecting. I was bored, browsing and I saw it. Dumb, I was thinking Makoto Tateno titles were like Juné exclusives.
yellow dancer

Postby Noon » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:59 pm

I have had this one for a long time, so yeah it is not a new release. While I am a big fan of the mangaka, I didn't really like this work of hers as much as I did her others. Cute enough, though.
Noon

Postby Hiyoshimaru » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:36 am

I also sometimes feel that Yellow is behind on the history of BL and everything in the first place, anyway.

Um, Makoto Tateno doesn't publish to June, its usually OAKLA or Shinshokan in Japan, June just publishes translated versions more than other yaoi publishers in the USA. Deux Press is now translating her stuff too, DramaQueen had a few, so technically the reason why June has so much of her is probably becuase other BL translation companies are falling.
Hiyoshimaru

Postby yellow dancer » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:32 pm

Zakura Storm wrote:I also sometimes feel that Yellow is behind on the history of BL and everything in the first place, anyway.

Um, Makoto Tateno doesn't publish to June, its usually OAKLA or Shinshokan in Japan, June just publishes translated versions more than other yaoi publishers in the USA. Deux Press is now translating her stuff too, DramaQueen had a few, so technically the reason why June has so much of her is probably becuase other BL translation companies are falling.

I am behind on yaoi. I started seriously reading and collecting yaoi in October of last year. Before that, the only yaoi manga I read was Fake. There is a long gap in between. It reveals my ignorance on the subject.

Concerning my comment, I meant I was under the assumption that Juné had an exclusive license to publish the translated Makoto Tateno titles. Hate to Love You was the first title I had seen published by another company. I never thought Makoto Tateno was working for Juné.
yellow dancer

Postby mo2468 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:44 pm

Zakura Storm wrote:

Actually, only three of Tateno's US licensed titles were ever licensed by companies other than DMP (and one of them, Yokan, was never released by that company and is now licensed by DMP). It's true that DMP and their June label have the lion's share of the market, but, honestly, Deux rolling out Aurora's new BL imprint with Hate to Love You and CMX jumping on the Tateno bandwagon with one of her shojo titles (King of Cards) is hardly proof that DMP is getting her licenses because everyone else is having trouble keeping it together.

DMP gets her licenses probably because they have a better relationship with the Japanese publishers that Tateno publishes under the most, and especially because Yellow was such an international hit and DMP happened to be the lucky licensor that got their hands on it in the US in the first place. It's good business for everyone (US and Japanese companies alike) when a hit can be found, and relationships between publishers and the companies who license from them can only grow stronger the more they work together (and the more success they find together).
mo2468

Return to Yaoi Talk