What books are you reading?

General things fans would like to talk about.

Re: What books are you reading?

Postby comusbassington » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:37 pm

kinziechan wrote:
Shroud wrote:
You know, Rice's Vampire Chronicles would make a gorgeous manga...so would her Mayfair Witches series come to think about it...

FFffffff the fan girl in me just screamed! I love that series and have since I was little. <3 I would love to do it! :lol:

:D

I read this and remembered they did have a comic series for the books but the art is . . . not really to my liking. But apparently there is a manga for the first book: http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=19934 though it's only listed as one volume.

If I could have one of her works in manga form it would be Cry to Heaven. Hands down. It's one of my favorites.
lip balm?
comusbassington

Postby Noon » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:12 pm

Shroud wrote:I just finished vols 1-3 of the shonen-ai manwha Let Dai, Yotsuba&! vols 2 and 3, my to be read pile is as always full of this and that.

Is Let Dai any good? I have heard so many good things about it but I haven't read it yet myself. I am not a big manhwa fan but if the story interested me, I go for it.
As for Yotsubato!, I love it. I read the first seven volumes and they were all great. Yotsuba is one of the cutest manga characters. I love her and Koiwai-san the most.

I just started reading Rurouni Kenshin. Now that I have got all the VIZBIG volumes, I can read the whole thing at once.
Noon

Postby mo2468 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:15 am

I enjoyed Let Dai, but it is not for the faint-hearted. It is very dark and the BL romance sometimes takes a backseat to the drama. I recommend renting the first volume from Netcomics to decide whether trying the whole thing is something you want to do.
mo2468

Postby Shroud » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:06 pm

Let Dai is a very psychologically driven story. The BL element is a cornerstone to the story, but you don't get lots of "action", it is more emotion driven, and very dark and often violent. Violent as in it deals with gang violence and family emotional abuse and neglect. I thought it very powerful, and if you can handle it, definitely worth reading. I read this title in order to review it, and am glad I did. I'll be getting the rest of these.

And if you are an Anne Rice fan, you can friend her on FB. She is really nice :)
Group: Kawaii Neko
Group status: it's always been complete
Not taking applications
Shroud

Postby Noon » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:48 am

I am still reading Rurouni Kenshin and it is getting so good. VIZ did a great job with the VIZBIG Editions.
Noon

Postby Noon » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:51 am

Just finished Kimi ni Todoke volume 6 and now reading volume 1 of Saiunkoku Monogatari.
Noon

Postby alan123 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:36 pm

Im reading "Rurouni Kenshin"
alan123

Postby Noon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:16 am

Going to start reading Vampire Knight. I used to read it when it was running in Shojo Beat but stopped after it ceased publication. I wanted more volumes to come out. Now I will read all the 10 volumes I have.
Noon

Postby Senyoru-Chan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:22 am

I watched the Vampire knight anime and I never watched the last episode of the second season. The story really started to bother me, as well as the characters. D: The manga according to me isn't much better. It could have been a great series but it just became worst. :cry:

I hope they get the 5th Ring finger novel out soon cause I wanted to wait until I continued reading them. I have only read the first one but I loved it. The manga is great as well. First June title I bought ever. :o Seeing as I am not very into novels at all but loved these. One reason may be that they both are boys. I'm not much into anything hetero at all. When it comes to novels at least I can't even read it if there a girl who "gets it all" you know...It's just boring. Girls are pictured pretty boring in novels a lot of times. :x Guys seem to have so much more interesting characters. And somehow for me easier to relate to. BL or not. :? Also, I think I like Japanese literature in general. I've read other Japanese novels that weren't manga or BL inspired. Seems like western authors just can't do it any more. At least not novels for younger people. I'm one of those who never really understood Harry Potter. There's nothing special about them to me.
Senyoru-Chan

Postby Noon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:57 pm

I totally agree that lots of people stopped reading Vampire Knight as it stopped going anywhere. My cousin used to follow it but stopped as well. I have all 10 volumes that are out and plan to read them. I haven't seen the anime adaptation and honestly, I am not enthusiastic about it as I am sure it is not as good.

Anyway, just finished volume 1 and off to reading volume 2 next. Love Zero!

Speaking of BL novels, I love them. I am trying to get hold of every June novel and I do have all the volumes for Only The Ring Finger Knows except for volume 3. I need to hunt it down.
Noon

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk