What books are you reading?

General things fans would like to talk about.

Re: What books are you reading?

Postby comusbassington » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:34 pm

Noon wrote:As for my current reads, I read Pluto, 20th Century Boys, Rurouni Kenshin, Rasetsu no Hana, Alice in the Country of Hearts, Gravitation, Kimi ni Todoke and a lot more.

I'm reading the Alice series as well. I'm not familiar with the game but I'm enjoying the story so far (2nd volume was better though). Some of TP's translation is a little eh - mostly Peter White's inconsistent rhyming (so irritating!) but that's a minor point.

Some of the series I'm reading: Silver Diamond,Gestalt, Otomen, Cross X Break (although I don't know if GoComi! is still active :( ), Legend, Magical JxR . . . and I guess that would be enough.

I'm at that terrible stage where I can't decide on a book to read since there are so many to choose from :x
lip balm?
comusbassington

Postby kinziechan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:14 pm

Hiyoshimaru wrote:
kinziechan wrote:Novels: I am reading right now Son of a Witch and Dragon Riders of Pern. I have read them both multiple times I just love them. They're amazing books!

Manga: Level C Alice 19th, and Imadoki. I love me some Yuu Watase. :D

I always thought Level-C was kindof... pointless?

Theres no point to it, its just mindless sex. And thats why I like it :>
Interested in an Anime Con in good weather? Great weather? Anime Kaigi, held in Flagstaff Az, is just the thing for you. Visit us at http://www.animekaigi.com or PM me with questions!
http://wetlemon.livejournal.com/-A yaoi blog by fans for fans!
kinziechan

Postby Noon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:24 pm

comusbassington wrote:
Noon wrote:As for my current reads, I read Pluto, 20th Century Boys, Rurouni Kenshin, Rasetsu no Hana, Alice in the Country of Hearts, Gravitation, Kimi ni Todoke and a lot more.

I'm reading the Alice series as well. I'm not familiar with the game but I'm enjoying the story so far (2nd volume was better though). Some of TP's translation is a little eh - mostly Peter White's inconsistent rhyming (so irritating!) but that's a minor point.

Some of the series I'm reading: Silver Diamond,Gestalt, Otomen, Cross X Break (although I don't know if GoComi! is still active :( ), Legend, Magical JxR . . . and I guess that would be enough.

I'm at that terrible stage where I can't decide on a book to read since there are so many to choose from :x

Yeah, the second volume of Alice in the Country of Hearts was much better. I like Blood the most. Hopefully something good will happen between him and Alice eventually. :D

Oh, I read silver diamond and Otomen too. At first, I thought Otomen was average but it is getting better. I liked volume 5 the most. Asuka is one of the most unique shoujo manga male characters. I cannot help but root for him. silver diamond is fine. It really get confusing sometimes and I forget the names of the characters so fast.
Noon

Postby lore » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:57 pm

Hiyoshimaru wrote: I always thought Level-C was kindof... pointless?

Isn't that the very definition of Yaoi? "No climax, no point, no meaning" Sounds like Level C is right on target. :lol:

I'm due a Dragonriders reread/catch-up soon, Kinziechan! I adore the series, too. Actually, it's a good series for those who like a little same-sex romance in their novel-reading. But gawd, once I start, I have to read them all, including any new books in the series. It takes longer every time through (yes, I'm going to try and read the Todd novels, too)!

My Sony reader has been sent away for upgrades, so all the Austen novels I had started will have to wait. I have a BL novel by the bed for starting tonight. It's a June one...Better than a Dream? Something like that. The color insert is prrrretyyyy (yes, you can imagine a glassy-eyed look here).
lore

Postby comusbassington » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:07 pm

Noon wrote:
comusbassington wrote:

Yeah, the second volume of Alice in the Country of Hearts was much better. I like Blood the most. Hopefully something good will happen between him and Alice eventually. :D

Oh, I read silver diamond and Otomen too. At first, I thought Otomen was average but it is getting better. I liked volume 5 the most. Asuka is one of the most unique shoujo manga male characters. I cannot help but root for him. silver diamond is fine. It really get confusing sometimes and I forget the names of the characters so fast.

I think my favorite is Elliot March - he's oddly adorable to me though I'm also interested in Ace Fury because he seems a little disturbed. But I hope to see more of Alice and Blood together, too. Volume 2 ended in such a horrible spot and while I know I could read the scans I won't.

For me volume 5 of Otomen had the most story rather than just being episodic. I wonder if Asuka is ever going to make the connection between Juta and Love Chick. He's so smart and yet so clueless. :P

Apart from the main four characters (five if you count the snake) I have a hard time remembering the names in Silver Diamond, too. Especially because it feels like more keep being added - the last volume had so many people in it!
lip balm?
comusbassington

Postby Noon » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:02 pm

comusbassington wrote:Some of the series I'm reading: Silver Diamond,Gestalt, Otomen, Cross X Break (although I don't know if GoComi! is still active :( ), Legend, Magical JxR . . . and I guess that would be enough.

How do you like Gestalt? I have read the first volume only and thought it was okay. Nothing special or unique, though. As I am a fan of Yun Kouga's Loveless, I thought of giving this one a try but it turned out to be average. Does it get better later on? Have you read Loveless? There is another title by Kouga-sensei that I started reading. It is Crown of Love. I did like the first volume but wasn't that immersed into it. It is one of her older titles.

It has been ages since Go! Comi published anything. I am not sure what's wrong but it seems they were heavily affected by the economy crisis. I hope they will come back soon. I would be so disappointed if they didn't continue publishing Cantarella by You Higuri. It is one of my favorite titles of theirs. On the other hand, I am glad they finished After School Nightmare. I would have been really, really sad if they stopped publishing it.

If you are patient enough and have room for long series, I highly recommend 20th Century Boys and Monster by Naoki Urasawa. That is if you are into seinen and more adult oriented manga.
Noon

Postby comusbassington » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:14 pm

Noon wrote:
comusbassington wrote:Some of the series I'm reading: Silver Diamond,Gestalt, Otomen, Cross X Break (although I don't know if GoComi! is still active :( ), Legend, Magical JxR . . . and I guess that would be enough.

How do you like Gestalt? I have read the first volume only and thought it was okay. Nothing special or unique, though. As I am a fan of Yun Kouga's Loveless, I thought of giving this one a try but it turned out to be average. Does it get better later on? Have you read Loveless? There is another title by Kouga-sensei that I started reading. It is Crown of Love. I did like the first volume but wasn't that immersed into it. It is one of her older titles.

It has been ages since Go! Comi published anything. I am not sure what's wrong but it seems they were heavily affected by the economy crisis. I hope they will come back soon. I would be so disappointed if they didn't continue publishing Cantarella by You Higuri. It is one of my favorite titles of theirs. On the other hand, I am glad they finished After School Nightmare. I would have been really, really sad if they stopped publishing it.

If you are patient enough and have room for long series, I highly recommend 20th Century Boys and Monster by Naoki Urasawa. That is if you are into seinen and more adult oriented manga.

Gestalt has gotten better since the first volume . . . although I wouldn't adamantly recommend it. I'd say its strength lies with the relationship dynamics rather than actual plot (because at this point I'm not sure what the plot is). I mainly picked it up because I was happy to see more of her work licensed (I am reading Loveless - I stopped somewhere in the middle of volume 9 though). I started Crown of Love, too. I thought it was okay. I'll probably finish it since it's not a long series.

I think Go!Comi's last release was in the summer maybe? There was one post in their forum a few months ago (here: http://www.gocomi.com/sn/forum/posts/id_490/) but since then it's been quiet. Silence is a little daunting.

Ah, I try not to start longer series (key word being try) but I'll definitely look into those titles. 20th Century Boys sounds intriguing. (I know to me it kind of feels like I only read fluffy stuff but it's mostly whatever catches my eye when I'm browsing rather than an actual preference. :? )
lip balm?
comusbassington

Postby Noon » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:28 am

I just finished reading Lovely*Complex. It was a cute shoujo manga, though nothing special. There are not many shoujo series that make me really go "Oh, wow!" Only a few that I really, really love.

Anyone read the first volume of Arata Kangatari by Yuu Watase? It has been a while since I have read anything by her, so it was good. I liked the first book and planning on getting the second once it comes out. It is her first shounen series, BTW.
Noon

Postby Shroud » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:17 pm

I just finished vols 1-3 of the shonen-ai manwha Let Dai, Yotsuba&! vols 2 and 3, my to be read pile is as always full of this and that. Non-manga type stuff wise, I plan to re-read Interview with the Vampire and my Trinity Blood novels for review purposes. That way I can have had some quality vamp time before reaching Twilight-The Graphic Novel. Which art wise, has at first glance a rather manwha feel, no surprise given the artist as well as the added impact of reading it left to right. Apparently, there is to be a graphic novel Stephanie Meyer biography as well.

You know, Rice's Vampire Chronicles would make a gorgeous manga...so would her Mayfair Witches series come to think about it...
Group: Kawaii Neko
Group status: it's always been complete
Not taking applications
Shroud

Postby kinziechan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:37 pm

Shroud wrote:
You know, Rice's Vampire Chronicles would make a gorgeous manga...so would her Mayfair Witches series come to think about it...

FFffffff the fan girl in me just screamed! I love that series and have since I was little. <3 I would love to do it! :lol:

I finally got my "Embracing Love" 2&4 in the mail so I've been flipping through those for the last day. Yum.
I havent been reading any novels as of late, I've just been reading my WoW magazine.
Interested in an Anime Con in good weather? Great weather? Anime Kaigi, held in Flagstaff Az, is just the thing for you. Visit us at http://www.animekaigi.com or PM me with questions!
http://wetlemon.livejournal.com/-A yaoi blog by fans for fans!
kinziechan

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk