What Decides If a Title Get Both Digital & Print Distributio

General things fans would like to talk about.

What Decides If a Title Get Both Digital & Print Distributio

Postby 2old4yaoi » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:22 pm

I know that most of us saw the writing on the walls w/ the launch of that 1st kindle - that most books will eventually go digital. And of course w/ tablets, e-readers & smart phones, the digitization process is now accelerated. However, I definitely still miss having some of my favourite manga titles in print. I like June's recent campaigns to launch a new title in both digital & print forms almost simultanously but there are definitely some digital only titles in DMG (for example), that I wish were in print also.

So in this thread, I would like to know what are the deciding factors that a publisher should take into account whether to get a title into paper print. What are your opinions?

For me - if a title has an awesome story & great artwork, it needs to come out in print too! Afterall, would you be happy with just having digital copies of Van Gogh's or Monet's or Renoir's works on your e-app? I, at least, would still like such great artwork to decorate my house, coffee tables etc... I am disappointed that Noboru Takatsuki's 1st English licensed work is likely to stay digital w/ not a single hint of possible paper print in sight.
Group: Naname
Translator: Coatimundi
Letterer: Idioteva
Editor: 2old4yaoi
2old4yaoi

Re: What Decides If a Title Get Both Digital & Print Distributio

Postby payang » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:09 pm

I agree. I would like some of the titles that's currently digital-only to be available in print form as well. I would always buy printed copies first if available to me.
"Jump start my heart and wake the sleeper inside" -Ignition (by TobyMac)
payang

Postby Senyoru-Chan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:39 am

I think they should put the digi titles up for voting if they should get printed.
Senyoru-Chan

Postby payang » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:26 am

Mm, I think that would be a good way to go about it...but not everyone who votes would buy and those of us who do buy sometimes wants titles that aren't as well liked/enjoyed by the general public. But...I do like that idea.
payang

Postby 2old4yaoi » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:11 pm

@Senroyu & Payang

Having voting button is a great idea. Right now at AMZN, those print books had the following message box:"Tell the Publisher! I'd like to read this book on Kindle"
Why not have the reverse message as well? Tell the Publisher! I'd like to collect this lovely book in print!
But I do see sacrifices of course - only the most likely to be commercially viable will get published in print which does have higher cost structure. In fact, I find it downright unbelievable how some kindle titles are now more expensive than the print version (granted the print version is probably on those horrible stock trade papers)
Group: Naname
Translator: Coatimundi
Letterer: Idioteva
Editor: 2old4yaoi
2old4yaoi

Postby crayon » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:55 am

Honestly, it's all about the popularity..
if we feel that certain books are popular in print, then we do print.
but the decision is ultimately up to the original creator(s).
crayon
crayon

Postby PalenMisha » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:41 am

It is too bad about the popularity factor because it doesn't account for people like me. I don't like reading books on my computer so if I can't buy it in print form, I just don't buy it at all and do without. Does that suck? Yup - I really don't like not knowing about lovely stories I could have enoyed, but I've gotten used to worse (Thank you TokyoPop for not finishing things - bitter? Who me?). I see people posting on other forums all the time 'buy it in eBook form so they'll eventually print it in paper form', but I'm not willing to pay for a format I'll never read on the chance that it MIGHT be printed in the format I do want to buy.

The other point about people saying they'll buy and not actually buying it is true too though - you'd probably need to have 3X the number of people say they want it vs the minimum number you need to justify printing a book in paper format before you actually go ahead and print it I expect.
PalenMisha

Postby yellow dancer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:37 pm

I clicked the button for About Love by Narise Konohara, requesting it be released on the Kindle. It has become my new toy. I have not completely given up paper, but storing all those books...I am running out of room!

There are titles I want to possess in the printed format, like the Finder series or Love Control. I will always want to have my favorites on the bookcase shelf, and it is nice to tote around my yaoi collection with me, everywhere I go.

I am hoping to see more titles released on the Kindle. The difficult part is probably deciding which titles to print and digitally market, factoring in exactly how many fans have a Kindle or Nook. I recently purchased a Kindle. It was Christmas present to myself. I am still divided on the issue. I enjoy browsing the Kindle store, receiving my manga in minutes, not days. I enjoy reading a printed manga, taking care not to break the spine, or spill coffee on the pages. It is a personal preference.

I will argue the selection of yaoi manga for the Kindle is slim. I prefer to purchase Juné or 801 Media titles. I have always appreciated the quality and the wide range of stories. I hope that will pass to the digital enterprise as well.
yellow dancer

Postby payang » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:42 pm

I think one of the major issues with digital releases for the Kindle is what Amazon allows and what it doesn't. From what I recall, a bunch of titles on the Kindle were revoked because it was deemed too explicit for Amazon (correct me if I'm wrong).
payang

Postby HiroPon » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:51 pm

@payang - Yes, that is correct. Thank you for making that point.
HiroPon

Return to General Talk