Viz Media's New BL Imprint

General things fans would like to talk about.

Viz Media's New BL Imprint

Postby 2old4yaoi » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:06 pm

So I read that Viz is finally getting a BL imprint. Hallelujah! Finally they are seeing the light! I do hope among the first licenses announced would be for Watase Yuu's "Sakura Gari" & Setona Mizushiro's "The Cornered Mouse Dreams of Cheese" If Viz was to have an exclusive relationship with Shogakukan, it is only their duties to bring such jewels of BL works to the English language world. I definitely hope this is what they will announce at the YaoiCon over the weekend.
Group: Naname
Translator: Coatimundi
Letterer: Idioteva
Editor: 2old4yaoi
2old4yaoi

Re: Viz Media's New BL Imprint

Postby Senyoru-Chan » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:23 pm

I wonder what took them so long. But as Tokyopop probably wont come back and even if they do there's no guarantee they'll give us back our beloved titles I guess they jumped on the chance to finish what they started.
Senyoru-Chan

Postby Senyoru-Chan » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:40 pm

Argh, I'm disappointed. Apparently most titles will be digital. Wont buy. Well at least some will go to print. I guess I'll just continue to buy them in Japanese otherwise. I really don't like that they are trying to digitalize manga unless there's a REAL book choice too. D:< And I don't even have an ipad or whatever yet! Not planning to. *dies*
Senyoru-Chan

Postby phoenix4045 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:07 am

^agrees with Senyoru-chan

I too refuse to "go digital!" call me old fashioned, but I prefer a PHYSICAL copy over a piece of easily deletable data! (that and I despise tablets and e-readers, they give me a LITERAL headache! Heck I can barely handle laptops and desktops! And that is saying something considering that I am only 21!)

Now as for the PRINT titles, you can bet I will be snatching those up! Especially Three Wolves Mountain and Aitsu no Daihonmei!
phoenix4045

Postby Senyoru-Chan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:32 am

I def buy as many print titles as I can and that looks good. They can keep their digital poop. I'll either get English printed or Japanese printed. Preferable in English.
Senyoru-Chan

Postby 2old4yaoi » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:18 pm

I noticed that almost all of the titles Viz are licensing are from Libre who has been very gung-ho to push digital manga through Animate USA here. That probably explains why almost all the titles will be digitized at first & if online sales are good or if there is enough request, they will go to print? I will have to see if the digital manga reads better on kindle fire before getting more invested in it. But the prices of the digital copy is still so expensive compare to i.e. Netcomic's. The better value definitely seems still to be print right now unless it is novels.
Group: Naname
Translator: Coatimundi
Letterer: Idioteva
Editor: 2old4yaoi
2old4yaoi

Postby Ruby_Alexandrine » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:50 am

Personally, I am very glad that Viz created their new BL imprint. In the past, I was hesitant about digital manga but with the Kindle Fire coming out soon at Amazon.com and the Sublime's digital manga will be in PDF format, I think I'm going to give it a shot.
Ruby_Alexandrine

Postby phoenix4045 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:30 pm

After doing some additional research I realized that I actually like the kindle fire's OTHER features and will probably get one as an emergency web browser/media player,

HOWEVER I stand by my previous statements about refusing to use it as a substitute for good old fashioned print and paper!
phoenix4045

Postby Senyoru-Chan » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:04 am

Agreed, I might try buying a digital book but that's just for the sake of trying to get it to be printed. And if not, well at least I can read it on my PC.
Senyoru-Chan

Return to General Talk