A Question For the DMP Staff

General things fans would like to talk about.

A Question For the DMP Staff

Postby foxpuppet » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:31 am

I was only wondering if one has to be an American citizen to apply for a freelance translator position? I'm only a second year student and far from the level required but I wish to apply in the future, so I thought it best to ask.

Thank you.
foxpuppet

Re: A Question For the DMP Staff

Postby ChibiKami » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:31 pm

Nope! You do not have to be an American citizen to apply for a freelance translation position. :D
ChibiKami

Postby Shroud » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:14 am

I imagine having something to show adequate proficiency for the task would be a great idea though. I know most jobs for translators require a JLPT level 2 or higher .
Group: Kawaii Neko
Group status: it's always been complete
Not taking applications
Shroud

Postby ChibiKami » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:10 am

We have a translation test on our site. Having japanese proficiency and having passed the JLPT-doesn't always necessarily mean people know how to translate. Manga is difficult-because you have things like emotion, or class relationships, or formal speaking-and to try to figure out the best way to convey that can be very difficult-even for experienced speakers. (Take a look at some of our books, like Kabuki, The Devil Within, Clear Skies-these were toughies-because of those very scenarios). So we recommend applying through our site, and taking the test-and for those of you who give it a shot, we wish you good luck!
ChibiKami

Postby foxpuppet » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:06 am

Thank you for the reply! And please expect an application from me sometime in the future. C:
foxpuppet

Return to General Talk