American Wasteland

Talk about Vampire Hunter D!

Re: American Wasteland

Postby 18thAngel » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:19 am

Oooh I've seen some pics from Genji...gorgeous! But then, what of Amano's isn't?
Doctor Who?
18thAngel

Postby Lightbringer » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:40 pm

I don't know whether to be relieved that something that sounded so bad is gone, or to bemoan that a D project got canned. :s
Lightbringer

Postby 18thAngel » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:34 pm

^ :( It sounded cool to me...
Doctor Who?
18thAngel

Postby exsanguinate » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:37 pm

I just feel so mixed about it. I really love D, but not "mainstream" comics. Superman just doesn't really interest me...I'm afraid that D would become to "typical."
exsanguinate

Location: Somewhere in Ohio, but really in My Own Little World

Postby 18thAngel » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:05 pm

^ This is true...oh well.
Doctor Who?
18thAngel

Postby sothisdhampir » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:37 am

Yea, as promising as an Amercian adaption of D could have been it also had alot of potienal to go really really bad. If it fizzled out due to communication issues with the artist and Kikuchi than it was likely for the best.
sothisdhampir

Postby Pluto VIII » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:56 pm

Oh come on exsanguinate, there's more to american comics than just the tights, you know this better than most. You read stuff by Neil Gaiman and adaptations of Steven King stories. And alot of that is put out by "the big two." Think about all the other stuff out there by smaller companies. There's always been an alternative to the mainstream. I was looking through the Devil's Due website and didn't even see one title in the "superhero" genre listed. I think GI Joe is the only thing even close to that.

Josh Blaylock said in a interview that biggest difference was the in art style, but the teaser art looked almost exactly like the design from Bloodlust, because that's how most people know the character obviously. But they did put him in front an american flag, which was pretty weird. That was probably just a cover, they interior may have been different. But it probably would have been similar. From the interviews I've read, it seems they were following "typical D formula", which is pretty much throwback to western stuff like Shane anyway. And then Palmiotti said that the "people who own the license" just wanted "the same old thing" and "if that's they way you want it, you could get anyone to do this." But I that thought they said that's what they were giving us? Did they forget the hot chick and monsters? How much different could it have been?

I just don't get it, this character has worldwide appeal. How could it feel any more "western?" It's already there! The answer: Give D a cowboy hat.
Pluto VIII

Postby exsanguinate » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:39 pm

Ya got me there! :oops: :D
Okay, so now that Pluto VIII got me to do some introspective soul-searching, I'm bummed about the cancellation.
exsanguinate

Postby Lightbringer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:06 pm

I just don't understand the desire to "Westernize" D. He's wearing a hat, rides a horse, has a sword, lots of hawt babes jumping his bones, lots of violence, lots of angst and it's in the Frontier! I don't get it at all. I mean I don't mind more D stuff, but I'd be happier if they came out with another movie or a short TV episode or something.
Lightbringer

Postby exsanguinate » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:50 pm

Lightbringer wrote: I mean I don't mind more D stuff, but I'd be happier if they came out with another movie or a short TV episode or something.

Here, here!

Yeah, I do have to agree that VHD is pretty pulp-westerny at its core. So why mess with what's already perfection?
exsanguinate

Previous

Return to Vampire Hunter D