INTERVIEW WITH PUKU OKUYAMA
Author of Caramel, The Rule of Standing on Tiptoe, and Warning! Whispers of Love
1. What are some things you like to do while you work to help you concentrate?
I try several methods to help me concentrate, but mostly I listen to music or even sing to keep me on track. But silence also keeps me focused on my work as well.
2. Which manga(s) do you like reading?
I enjoy reading comedy manga.
3. What type of food do you like?
Pudding. I don’t have a hobby of making sweets but pudding I sometimes make them on my own.
4. How do you usually spend your days off?
I usually spend my days off by going to karaoke, spending time going out with my husband, or simply doing work.
5. There were many scenes within Warning! Whispers of Love where Nagura found Hajime to be “cute.” In your personal opinion, in what sort of situation(s) would you say that a guy is being “cute?”
I find men cute when they are enthusiastic about what they are doing and in high spirits because just watching them puts me be in a happy mood. I believe people who can be passionate at what they are doing have great talent.
6. When you are drawing, which part of the characters do you draw first?
I usually start off drawing from the face. Often in order I first start from the outline, the nose, the eyes/eyebrows, hair and then mouth. When I’m inking, I ink the facial features first then proceed to line the contour of the face.
7. What do you enjoy most about your job?
I enjoy painting the base colors.
♥A big THANK YOU to Mrs. Puku Okuyama for answering our questions and for the amazing work she has done.♥