To celebrate the recent release of Replica, vol. 2 and Countdown 7 Days, vol. 2, we got the chance to speak briefly with the mangaka, Kemuri Karakara, and find out a bit more about Karakara-sensei’s thoughts and tastes!
- There are a lot of characters with cool outfits in COUNTDOWN 7 DAYS. Who’s your favorite to draw?
Hanasuke. He’s full of emotion and energy. I was able to dress him up in a variety of fashionable apparel as well.
- How about your favorite character to draw in Replica?
Shirahime. I enjoy drawing girls because it’s a good change of pace from drawing bad boys all the time. lol.
- Why did you decide to draw a manga about the underworld and the after life?
The fear of death sometimes really bothers me since death is absolute nothingness. That concept really freaks me out. I hope that the afterworld is as fun as the world we currently live in so my wish is expressed throughout the series.
- There’s a lot of fantasy and fairy tale themes in your manga! What’s your favorite fairy tale?
I love all fairy tales but my favorites are “The Little Mermaid”, “Snow White” and “Aladdin”.
- When did you first get interested in drawing manga?
3rd grade Elementary school. My entry point was anime but then later expanded to manga so I started off mimicking drawings.
- Apart from yourself, who’s your favorite manga artist?
Kazuhiro Fujita. He is my idol.
- Do you listen to any music while you work on manga? What’s your favorite band or artist?
Yes and I also listen to standup comedies. My favorite Japanese bands include UVERworld, MAXIMUM THE HORMONE, and RADWIMPS. I also enjoy music by Bon Jovi and BIGBANG, a boy band group from South Korea.
PS: If you haven’t checked our Karakara-sensei’s books, you’re missing out. You can grab previews of Countdown 7 Days, vol. 1 and Replica, vol. 1 on eManga.com – they’re both series guaranteed to sate your shonen manga craving!